Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Honda Ridgeline or the new Hyunadai Sante Fe ute would be good. 99% of these things never see a dirt road anyway, may as well have the safety and handling advantages of a proper unibody construction.
you really are special...Wasn't the Honda a front wheel drive ute, what a great idea...lets have all the weight in the back and no steering or traction up front!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
you really are special...Wasn't the Honda a front wheel drive ute, what a great idea...lets have all the weight in the back and no steering or traction up front!
Which is fine, as 99% of them never see a dirt road or a load ;)

Besides, how does having more of the drivetrain weight over the front wheels not help it steer better with a load on…?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Which is fine, as 99% of them never see a dirt road or a load ;)

Besides, how does having more of the drivetrain weight over the front wheels not help it steer better with a load on…?
Because i put your mum in the tray when i go to site.
FWD makes it useless for the intended purpose it was built for. which is doing skids on roundabouts not carrying stuff.
or load my moped in the back

Minlak

custom titis
What are your big questions?
  1. Safety - It appears all reviews say it has the equipment and safety features to get the 5 star rating - However it is currently 2 star rated as they refuse to submit it for new testing - it didn't do so poorly last time due to lack of airbags.
  2. They say rated to 3000Kg towing but only has 400 nm of torque
  3. Adaptive 4wd (that I cant confirm can be turned off)
  4. Most complaints of the vehicle revolve around electrical issues - Has a lot of new sensors etc
  5. I plan on lifting it but without new testing I don't even know if it is stable at stock height
  6. Long term owners have been seeing failures with in 25000 km of things like turbos and intercooler hoses (not a major deal breaker as many "Mainstream" brands have pipe issues as well
  7. 8 speed gear box to meet emission and economy goals but renowned for "hunting" gears and constantly changing
  8. Does not appear to have a transmission cooler in the event I actually want to tow the 3000kg they say it can
  9. Reviews have the front end steering feeling light and not confident especially when loaded or towing
  10. Questions over the actual strength of ball joints - axles - diffs - are they considered warranty or abuse if they fail

That's the quick 10 I would like to know if I was buying - If you actually want to run Sand you really shouldn't be buying Diesel but you are also limited in choices there and have to consider how much sand you will actually do.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  1. Safety - It appears all reviews say it has the equipment and safety features to get the 5 star rating - However it is currently 2 star rated as they refuse to submit it for new testing - it didn't do so poorly last time due to lack of airbags.
I thought I showed you guys some pictures of this? Specifically where the drivers seat was now half the width it used to be!
All the safety features in the world won't change that situation.

Minlak

custom titis
I thought I showed you guys some pictures of this? Specifically where the drivers seat was now half the width it used to be!
All the safety features in the world won't change that situation.
You did - That is the test from 2016 - The seller / manufacturer is sprouting that this "All New" version is safer but they refuse to test it - That would be a question to me. I would have major doubts on this alone.

Even to the point that most review sites actually state "The safety features on this vehicle are enough that it could get a 5 star rating" - I am not real comfortable knowing the sites are forced to right the same thing in every review to get a vehicle to review. None of the mainstream review sites have unbiased reviews.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
  2. They say rated to 3000Kg towing but only has 400 nm of torque
  3. Adaptive 4wd (that I cant confirm can be turned off)
  4. Most complaints of the vehicle revolve around electrical issues - Has a lot of new sensors etc
  5. I plan on lifting it but without new testing I don't even know if it is stable at stock height
  6. Long term owners have been seeing failures with in 25000 km of things like turbos and intercooler hoses (not a major deal breaker as many "Mainstream" brands have pipe issues as well
  7. 8 speed gear box to meet emission and economy goals but renowned for "hunting" gears and constantly changing
  8. Does not appear to have a transmission cooler in the event I actually want to tow the 3000kg they say it can
  9. Reviews have the front end steering feeling light and not confident especially when loaded or towing
  10. Questions over the actual strength of ball joints - axles - diffs - are they considered warranty or abuse if they fail
That's the quick 10 I would like to know if I was buying - If you actually want to run Sand you really shouldn't be buying Diesel but you are also limited in choices there and have to consider how much sand you will actually do.
They're all fair questions and I can't answer them all.

1. It's currently being ANCAP tested (confirmed by ANCAP). It's not even 2 star right now, it's unrated. You're thinking of the Steed which is not related to this car in any way.
  2. The 2019 Isuzu D-MAX LS-T has 430Nm and is rated for 3,500kg. Seems legit to me.
  3. You can switch to Eco mode which is effectively 4x2 High.
  4. Some niggles for sure but I haven't been affected by anything (yet!). Most electrics are supplied by Bendix or Bosch.
  5. Can't answer that.
  6. There are no long term owners of the Cannon yet.
  7. I didn't find it hunting at all. Maybe on bigger inclines while towing but certainly not normal driving.
  8. Not as standard but I know some people are looking at bolting on an external cooler.
  9. Most of the Facebook user reviews have not mentioned this. One of them pulled 2.5t from Brisbane to Stanthorpe with no issues. Another has done 2,000km pulling a boat (not a tinnie!)
  10. Can't answer that.

Also, they use a ZF gearbox, Borg warner drivetrain and diff lock, and I think a Bosch pump and injectors. Pretty reliable stuff. The box is rated to 700Nm in most applications so it's a tough cookie!

HamboCairns

You did - That is the test from 2016 - The seller / manufacturer is sprouting that this "All New" version is safer but they refuse to test it - That would be a question to me. I would have major doubts on this alone.
From ANCAP -

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting ANCAP SAFETY.

ANCAP’s independent safety assessment of the new GWM Ute is currently underway, with the final range of tests assessing its active collision avoidance capabilities scheduled to commence in the coming weeks.

Until such time as all tests are complete, the vehicle is classified as ‘unrated’.

Kind regards,

ANCAP

HamboCairns

I’m sure the comments and feedback on that group are as unbiased as the Orange riders page.
Wait, dang.
Perhaps but wouldn't it be easier to say nothing if the product isn't up to scratch? It's not like we know these people personally and we'll find out either way.

When I tow a camper trailer I'll let you know.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't care but the guy who towed 2.8t with 500kg in the ute body was 99.9% likely overloaded. Just like 97.3% of people towing with dual cabs. I goggleded the specs and read a review. Can I please have those seconds back?

People who drop $ on stuff most often say how good it is rather than the opposite, they reserve the shitty reviews for some poor service worker who couldn't anticipate impossible unspoken wants.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Even to the point that most review sites actually state "The safety features on this vehicle are enough that it could get a 5 star rating" - I am not real comfortable knowing the sites are forced to right the same thing in every review to get a vehicle to review. None of the mainstream review sites have unbiased reviews.
Nope, that is the current car ;)

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
5-star crash test ratings are a farce these days anyway (IMO) About 2 stars are the actual body structure/crash deformation performance, and the rest is for how many electronic safety assists it has. Don't get me wrong ABS and ESC are good to have, but losing stars for not having lane keeping? FFS... The most powrful computer safety assist is using the ol' noggin to look through the windscreen and constantly assess the driving conditions! [End old-man rant]

HamboCairns

5-star crash test ratings are a farce these days anyway (IMO) About 2 stars are the actual body structure/crash deformation performance, and the rest is for how many electronic safety assists it has. Don't get me wrong ABS and ESC are good to have, but losing stars for not having lane keeping? FFS... The most powrful computer safety assist is using the ol' noggin to look through the windscreen and constantly assess the driving conditions! [End old-man rant]
Agreed.