Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hey why waste your time and money on crumple zones when you can just rely on mass and size to use someone elses!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'll never understand why they persist with the old 70 series clunkers. Why not rebirth the 100 as the commercial range.
A hard question. A mate worked for one of the aftermarket companies doing suspension calcs and design. He showed me the raw numbers from the 79 and honestly it was so bad it would have been appalling in the 19th century. Even going for the various aftermarket coil wider rear ends there is a huge mismatch on spring rates and motion ratios and operation. The ratio between unsprung masses and spring rates makes the suspension vary in its capability depending on the compression of the springs and load on the vehicle. Scary stuff. And that is after the track mismatch has been sorted.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll never understand why they persist with the old 70 series clunkers. Why not rebirth the 100 as the commercial range.
100% agree.
Apart from some weird nostalgia, not sure how the 70 series could even be considered over a modern ute.
It's not cheaper, it would not drive anywhere near as well :rolleyes:

jrewing

Eats Squid
100% agree.
Apart from some weird nostalgia, not sure how the 70 series could even be considered over a modern ute.
It's not cheaper, it would not drive anywhere near as well :rolleyes:
And the price! If it was 50k yeah maybe. But 100k no idea

jrewing

Eats Squid
I knew a builder that ripped out the seats of his X5 bmw for his version of a work truck. Be cheaper to do that, than convert a current Ute with boxes haha. He must’ve valued comfort?? Wasnt short of coin even by a builders standard. Probably has an X7 now probably

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Because they’re epically good in really tough 4WD situations. A fucking nightmare to drive on sealed roads or in urban areas is you’re unlucky enough to have to do that…

But they’re narrow for getting between rocks and trees and are generally unstoppable.
Anything over 60kph is not their happy place, and getting with a lift and a tuned V8 on the highway is insanity and NOT what they’re designed for.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yet a tiny percent of owners ever epically 4wd in them.
I’d say the 70 series do get used more for their intended purpose than any other 4WD, because they’re so horrible to drive in everyday use you have to really need one to buy them!!

I have a minor soft spot for them, spent a lot of time bush bashing with them fire fighting. Utterly fantastic in their element.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Because they’re epically good in really tough 4WD situations.

But they’re narrow for getting between rocks and trees and are generally unstoppable.
But they aren't. Wheel travel is limited by the massive leaf springs at the rear and the front ifs is no better. Any auto dual cab will go as far with less stress. The days of unstoppable Y61 utes and 70 series lording it over hiluxes etc are long gone. Anything that falls into 'that' category is heavily modified. 70 series come with front and rear differential locks as standard, want to guess why????

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because they’re epically good in really tough 4WD situations. A fucking nightmare to drive on sealed roads or in urban areas is you’re unlucky enough to have to do that…

Anything over 60kph is not their happy place, and getting with a lift and a tuned V8 on the highway is insanity and NOT what they’re designed for.
Both 80 series and 100 series are better off road in standard form than 70.

Crap articulation from leaf rear.
Poor ground clearance around rear springs.
Stupid narrow rear track.

Only advantage might be slightly higher body clearance. But doesn't help much in real world other than avoiding sill damage.