Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

scblack

Leucocholic
I wonder who sets tow ratings in general? Is it a third party independent test thing, or something thats just nominated by the manufacturer?
Manufacturer.

Note the limit of 3,500kg for most large utes is marketing bluster in actual fact. Check the GCM with a trailer attached that actually weighs 3,500kg and you are lucky to be legally in GCM limits with one passenger, let alone a full load.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Manufacturer.

Note the limit of 3,500kg for most large utes is marketing bluster in actual fact. Check the GCM with a trailer attached that actually weighs 3,500kg and you are lucky to be legally in GCM limits with one passenger, let alone a full load.
So I think Im comfortable stretching the limit for unbraked for a one off very slow trip. The tow bar and chassis were certainly well within their margins, and braking from 80 with 700ish kg unbraked would be fine.

Anyway, maybe I mucked that trip up... Either way, the dual clutch auto coped because i was very bloody careful with it, but not something i want to repeat regularly!!!! It did drive better than you'd expect and felt stable enough swerving around the car swallowing potholes on the highway down from Launceston... Seeing 28l/100 on the instant fuel consumption up a hill felt like an achievement from a 1400cc engine :cool:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I agree that most people don't need dual cab Ute's, but I think Haakon does after what we've just seen.
Maybe just that once… A proper Ute would still have been better. Have spent lots of time towing big loads behind Falcon Utes and they’re pretty good.

Reactions: LPG

Flow-Rider

Burner
Id say it was around the 750kg unbraked (1300kg braked) it’s rated for. That 6x4 trailer was rated for 600kg I think and the springs were far from bottomed out. It wasn’t filled with cement bricks ;)

Sat it on 80kph Melbourne to Hobart for that one trip anyway.
Look at the tyre it tells a story of its own or do you drive around on 20psi to cook the side walls and blow a tyre out on the highway?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Look at the tyre it tells a story of its own or do you drive around on 20psi to cook the side walls and blow a tyre out on the highway?
No, but I run them quite low when its empty so it doesn't skip all over the joint, and top it up at the Shell servo a km from that photo to the right amount for that load. Which was in the high 30s as I recall... I think those (chinesium) light truck tyres were good for 500kg each.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’ve had the Ssangyong Musso long tray for 2 years now. Came from a y62 patrol and wanted a long tray dual cab. Was 44k with everything. They are a quality vehicle and look great. The extra tub size is great. Build quality is impressive and reliability is like the dog Ugly ones before it. Just starting to catch on that they are the bargain that they are.
some nice parts available to build them up if one desires.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will this impact the need to gain an nb1 or nb2 class licences ?
hmmm possibliy not as not utilised as a tow rig - has the gcm changed also