Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
But they aren't. Wheel travel is limited by the massive leaf springs at the rear and the front ifs is no better. Any auto dual cab will go as far with less stress. The days of unstoppable Y61 utes and 70 series lording it over hiluxes etc are long gone. Anything that falls into 'that' category is heavily modified. 70 series come with front and rear differential locks as standard, want to guess why????
Fair enough. my experience is quite a few years old. We had some Hilux and Mits equivalent as command vehicles, but they were too fragile for carting half a tonne of water down the side of a hill and through gully following a bulldozer!

We had a Patrol once as a trial, but the low speed rock crawling work was a bit much for its clutch as the turbo engine was useless down low and everyone had to slip the shit out of it to get anywhere. Its size was also a PITA...

The sort of work the 70 series cab chassis I was using were doing was such that the old NA 6 was far superior to the V8s - engine braking and rock(log...) crawling was way better on the 6.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Both 80 series and 100 series are better off road in standard form than 70.

Crap articulation from leaf rear.
Poor ground clearance around rear springs.
Stupid narrow rear track.

Only advantage might be slightly higher body clearance. But doesn't help much in real world other than avoiding sill damage.
Back in the last century, I had Land Rover Defender 110. That was way better off road and gravel than a 70 Series at the time...only more fragile. Which, to this day, kind of explains the 70 in a nutshell....

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I had a BJ shorty, that thing was a proper 4x4. If your car doesn't have plugs in the floor to blow out when you're crossing a creek so that it fills with water and doesn't float away, it isn't a real 4 wheel drive. None of this carpet stuff.
I'll have mine with PTO, none of this 12v shit.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I had a BJ shorty, that thing was a proper 4x4. If your car doesn't have plugs in the floor to blow out when you're crossing a creek so that it fills with water and doesn't float away, it isn't a real 4 wheel drive. None of this carpet stuff.
I'll have mine with PTO, none of this 12v shit.
I would like to convert my fj45 traytop to ev one day. But realistically should sell it for stupid money.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
What zones did you stay at, fishing?
We stayed at Cathedrals and explored Champagne Pools (Indian Head), Lake McKenzie, Eurong (good pies!), the shipwreck and Ely Creek.

Next time we go we'll just take the ute and hire a cabin to lighten the load.

Sadly no fishing :(

Flow-Rider

Burner
We stayed at Cathedrals and explored Champagne Pools (Indian Head), Lake McKenzie, Eurong (good pies!), the shipwreck and Ely Creek.

Next time we go we'll just take the ute and hire a cabin to lighten the load.

Sadly no fishing :(
Nice, you see many dingoes around camp?

When I looked at the cabins last the cheapest was over $300 a night, most of them are booked out years ahead.

Jabubu

Nice, you see many dingoes around camp?

When I looked at the cabins last the cheapest was over $300 a night, most of them are booked out years ahead.
Oh we did see a few dingos, a couple of curious ones around Ely Creek too. Keep your children close people!

IMG_3141.JPG

Yeah we'd be booking waaaaay in advance if we wanted to go again.

Next big camping trip is Cape York!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Nice one @Jabubu
I’m heading up in August …
Oh we did see a few dingos, a couple of curious ones around Ely Creek too. Keep your children close people!
I’m heading up in August for 5 days with some mates staying in a house at Happy Valley.

No kids coming and TBH with all the issues lately and knowing how kids are so impulsive with running around etc. I won’t be taking my nearly 7 and 10 year olds there for at least 2-3 more years I reckon.

Dingoes were pretty stand-off-ish last time we were there camping but would raid sites whenever you left. Seems to have escalated rapidly though. A bit confronting with those dingoes just calmly walking around those sun baking tourists.

Flow-Rider

Burner

View attachment 400905

Yeah we'd be booking waaaaay in advance if we wanted to go again.

Next big camping trip is Cape York!
There's been a few dingo bites there lately, but the fuckers get into your eskies and even tear all your gear apart if you're not careful.

Cape York on your bike? :p

https://capeyorkmtb.com.au/

Flow-Rider

Burner
Nice one @Jabubu

I’m heading up in August for 5 days with some mates staying in a house at Happy Valley.

No kids coming and TBH with all the issues lately and knowing how kids are so impulsive with running around etc. I won’t be taking my nearly 7 and 10 year olds there for at least 2-3 more years I reckon.

Dingoes were pretty stand-off-ish last time we were there camping but would raid sites whenever you left. Seems to have escalated rapidly though. A bit confronting with those dingoes just calmly walking around those sun baking tourists.
The last time I was there I had one stay about 2 meters away from me everywhere I went while fishing, if the tiniest bit of bait fell off the hook when it had a chance it would eat it. When it got to dusk I walked back to camp, it followed me a few km back to camp staying within the 2-meter radius the whole time. At one point I walked at all different speeds and the dingo did the same, I stopped walking to change direction and the dingo walked into me. That was the only interaction during the whole trip apart from seeing them walk around while driving.

Jabubu

Nice one @Jabubu

August will be lovely!

We saw a pack of Dingoes at 5 in the morning while photographing the sunrise. They were heading straight for us but veered off towards the Cathedrals road, perhaps distracted by the sight of potential prey?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The last time I was there I had one stay about 2 meters away from me everywhere I went while fishing, if the tiniest bit of bait fell off the hook when it had a chance it would eat it. When it got to dusk I walked back to camp, it followed me a few km back to camp staying within the 2-meter radius the whole time. At one point I walked at all different speeds and the dingo did the same, I stopped walking to change direction and the dingo walked into me. That was the only interaction during the whole trip apart from seeing them walk around while driving.
Fark ! 2m is close.