Rors' non-theoretical pipedream stuffabout hoon bike

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
It is looking good @Rorschach!
Don't forget to put your chainstays into the longest setting before cutting your chain. You can always shorten it later if needed...

EDIT: American style brakes, blech! I once rode one of my mates bikes who has his brakes set up that way, nearly killed myself (slight exageration) pulling the wrong brake at the wrong time.
Good point on the chainstays, hadn't considered that - hoping to get some time at the weekend to get to that stage so a good reminder.
Luckily left the rear mech cable a bit long too so I can feed a bit more down from the shifter if I need to

Unfortunately, the Ali groupsets come with the brakes hooked up (and bled) that way, but have spoken to the LBS and they'll cut, swap and bleed them for me for less than I was expecting so thats good.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
Please critique my routing - this is my first time so need some tips
Also, your routing looks fine so far.
Like you appear to have done, I send my cables around the headtube in a nice gentle curve with enough slack so that the bars can be turned 180 degrees without pulling on the cable (just in case of a crash).

So cable from left hand goes around the front and attaches to the right hand side of the frame and vice versa. They then run down the length of the top tube staying on the same attachment points for the cable "stops" until they cross back to the required side just before the seatube.

All of this goes out the window with internal routing since it depends on the where the manufacturer has put the appropriate holes, but the Honzo is external so you can do it as you please.

Rorschach

Also, your routing looks fine so far.
Like you appear to have done, I send my cables around the headtube in a nice gentle curve with enough slack so that the bars can be turned 180 degrees without pulling on the cable (just in case of a crash).

So cable from left hand goes around the front and attaches to the right hand side of the frame and vice versa. They then run down the length of the top tube staying on the same attachment points for the cable "stops" until they cross back to the required side just before the seatube.
I did that but crossed over behind the headtube, but I'll need to re-cable tie anyway as I put the brakes on so will see what that looks like. Don't know if there is an advantage one way or another

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
With the brakes can you not just unscrew them, swap them over and tighten up ?
Often you can get away with reusing the barbed ends and olives.

If the lengths are in the ballpark then just leave it.

A Shimano bleed funnel or cheapo copy should be about $10.
You can probably get away with just a lever bleed and you should not need more than a 100ml bottle of Shimano brake fluid.

If it all goes to hell then you have only wasted $20 and the bike shop can fix it.
If not, you have learnt something and saved the workshop charge.

Last edited:

Rorschach

With the brakes can you not just unscrew them, swap them over and tighten up ?
Often you can get away with reusing the barbed ends and olives.

If the lengths are in the ballpark then just leave it.

A Shimano bleed funnel or cheapo copy should be about $10.
You can probably get away with just a lever bleed and you should not need more than a 100ml bottle of Shimano brake fluid.

If it all goes to hell then you have only wasted $20 and the bike shop can fix it.
If not, you have learnt something and saved the workshop charge.
Hmm, I didn't realise it was that easy.
I'm a bit wary of this sort of thing and thought it was more complex than that.
I'll look into it and if I can do it myself I'll have a bash

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hmm, I didn't realise it was that easy.
I'm a bit wary of this sort of thing and thought it was more complex than that.
I'll look into it and if I can do it myself I'll have a bash
There’s no great black art to any of this. It’s mostly common sense and there is pretty much a YT vid for anything you need to learn.
As mentioned if you give it a crack and it’s good then you’ve saved yourself a trip to the shop, just learned a new important skill and gained a sense of achievement. If it’s beyond you at this stage then the LBS can fix it.

Stupid question maybe, Some brakes can be flipped over meaning there is no left and right. Your bakes aren’t like this are they?

PJO

in me vL comy
I did that but crossed over behind the headtube, but I'll need to re-cable tie anyway as I put the brakes on so will see what that looks like. Don't know if there is an advantage one way or another
Don't think it matters too much but can depend on your frame.
Most of the frames I've done there is a slightly greater chance of cable rub on the top tube or head tube if the cables cross right behind the head tube.

PJO

in me vL comy
There’s no great black art to any of this. It’s mostly common sense and there is pretty much a YT vid for anything you need to learn.
As mentioned if you give it a crack and it’s good then you’ve saved yourself a trip to the shop, just learned a new important skill and gained a sense of achievement. If it’s beyond you at this stage then the LBS can fix it.

Stupid question maybe, Some brakes can be flipped over meaning there is no left and right. Your bakes aren’t like this are they?
Shimano, so not an option.

Rorschach

Na, Shimano brakes so can't do that
Would be a quick trip to the FWits thread if they were!

Rorschach

Don't think it matters too much but can depend on your frame.
Most of the frames I've done there is a slightly greater chance of cable rub on the top tube or head tube if the cables cross right behind the head tube.
I was more thinking its a bit more of a gentle curve going back towards the rear mech, but I'll have a look once it's all wired. It's an easy fix

Reactions: PJO

Rorschach

Got more time on this last night after a week of late nights with the kids
Cockpit is together and dropper is hooked up. Just the seat to put on and derailleur to tune before I take it to the LBS and get the brakes switched over and it given the once over to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
Not 100% sure on the rear brake routing but it’s not too bad

Rorschach

Coming on nicely.

You are a patient man :oops:
Cheers. I’d say stubborn more than patient though - I have thought many times about paying someone to build it for me but I told myself I’d do it and I want to get it done to the best of my ability!
The problem is finding an evening where the kids are in bed at a decent time and all the house admin is done before 830. Most nights it isn’t or I’m too stuffed to do anything!
Nearly there though!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cheers. I’d say stubborn more than patient though - I have thought many times about paying someone to build it for me but I told myself I’d do it and I want to get it done to the best of my ability!
The problem is finding an evening where the kids are in bed at a decent time and all the house admin is done before 830. Most nights it isn’t or I’m too stuffed to do anything!
Nearly there though!
Just swap the brake hoses over yourself.

Pull back the rubber grommet, undo the nut on both brakes and do quick swap.

Rorschach

Just swap the brake hoses over yourself.

Pull back the rubber grommet, undo the nut on both brakes and do quick swap.
Hmm
If it’s that easy I’ll have a go. Worst case it needs a bleed, which I’ll need to take it the LBS for anyway as I don’t have a bleed kit

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hmm
If it’s that easy I’ll have a go. Worst case it needs a bleed, which I’ll need to take it the LBS for anyway as I don’t have a bleed kit
Exactly, if you are going to take it there you might as well pay for a bleed. With Shimano brakes, you can get away with a swap or a hose shorten at least once. They will need a bleed down the track anyway.

I just done the M8120's on my Deviate this morning after 18 months and 2200km.

Rorschach

If it's just a left-right hose swap, you can do it with virtually zero fluid loss. Keeping the bleed plug in the reservoir stops air getting in; with no way for air to get in, vacuum behind the fluid stops it falling out. :)
I like the theory. I’ll stick a towel down and give it a bash!
Hose length is about spot on so I don’t need to cut it down