Rors' non-theoretical pipedream stuffabout hoon bike

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
It's done! It rides well, I'm happy!

1671412921802.png

1671412946430.png

After my other thread, I've been looking on-and-off for a frame that suited what I was after, and was put onto a Honzo ST by @PJO which I jumped on - I was lusting after on for a while before I went FS but you couldn't get them for love nor money.
Anyway, the frame is on its way over from Melbourne now, so might as well start planning.
It's been wrapped since new, and only blemish on it is a slight wrinkle in the frame protection on the downtube - I can deal with that

Original thread: Theoretical pipedream stuffabout hoon bike | Rotorburn

This will be a slow build, will likely accumulate stuff over the next little while and try to assemble myself
I have a few bits as listed below, groupset will likely be another M6100 Deore ebay or AliExpress special.
Wheelset will be what I can source from Facey or Gumtree, others depending on what I can pick up
As for a theme, gold highlights were suggested by @Ultra Lord and I like the idea - maybe some headset spacers, bolts and seat clamp but likely will buy black stuff for now and tinker later on
I've been getting plenty of inspiration from here: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)
1663659035744.png

1663658995170.png

Frame - 2019 Kona Honzo ST (L)
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi Bomber Z2 140mm
Handlebars - Nukeproof Neutron, 25mm rise, 780mm wide
Stem - Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm
Headset - Works Angleset, -2deg
Grips - PNW Loam XL - Tan
Saddle - WTB Volt
Seatpost - Bontrager Line Dropper, 150mm with ZTTO remote
Front brake - Shimano Deore BR-M6100
Rear brake - Shimano Deore BR-M6100
Cranks - Shimano Deore FC-M6100, 170mm, 32t chainring
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - CN-M6100
Pedals - Burgtec Composite - Kash Bronze
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore RD-M6100
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore SL-M6100
Cassette - Shimano Deore CS-M6100
Front hub - Nukeproof Neutron, 15x110mm Boost
Rear hub - Nukeproof Neutron, 148x12mm Boost
Front rim - Nukeproof Neutron v2
Rear rim - Nukeproof Neutron v2
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - Maxxis DHF/Aggressor, 2.5in F/R
Tubes - N/A
Total weight - TBC

Attachments

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Is it bad I'm considering stripping the Prime down to build this up?
You are basically asking the forum whether N+1 is bad .... :p

If you dig riding the Honzo, then success! , if you turn out not digging the ride feel of the Honzo, then you can put the parts back on the Prime, and the Honzo can be sold, or kept or whatever, and it was an interesting experiment.

PJO

in me vL comy
Is it bad I'm considering stripping the Prime down to build this up?
As long as you vow to put the Prime back together once you have enough parts, it's ok.
Otherwise it would be shameful to have the Prime sitting in the shed in bits for long.

EDIT: I think anything goes as long as it gets you out riding, and new bike stoke is definitely a good way to get more time on the bike.

Rorschach

You are basically asking the forum whether N+1 is bad .... :p

If you dig riding the Honzo, then success! , if you turn out not digging the ride feel of the Honzo, then you can put the parts back on the Prime, and the Honzo can be sold, or kept or whatever, and it was an interesting experiment.
As long as you vow to put the Prime back together once you have enough parts, it's ok.
Otherwise it would be shameful to have the Prime sitting in the shed in bits for long.

EDIT: I think anything goes as long as it gets you out riding, and new bike stoke is definitely a good way to get more time on the bike.
Both good points, new bike stoke is high for this one.
I'm enjoying riding the Prime, and it'll take me a few months to get the bits together for this one, particularly with #3 on the way

I also don't have any experience putting bikes together - I'm sure I could fudge it but brakes might be a step too far, although LBS might be back-up

PJO

in me vL comy
I also don't have any experience putting bikes together - I'm sure I could fudge it but brakes might be a step too
Ah, curse the internal brake routing.
I suggest you get a second set of brakes rather than having to faff with that. Honzo is externally routed so won't be an issue with building it up.

Better to not unlace the Prime if you are going to be lacing them back in a few months time, it may be a bridge too far.

Rorschach

I suggest you get a second set of brakes rather than having to faff with that. Honzo is externally routed so won't be an issue with building it up.

Better to not unlace the Prime if you are going to be lacing them back in a few months time, it may be a bridge too far.
Yeah, that’s kinda what I’m thinking. A new Deore groupset isn’t that exxy from fleabay so might sort that then I can at least swap wheels for a bit

ausdb

Being who he is
Rorschach said:
I also don't have any experience putting bikes together - I'm sure I could fudge it but brakes might be a step too

@Rorschach Why not just get another back brake for the Honzo and swap front ends over?

PS love the colour, reminds me of my first real mtb a Giant ATX780, (this ones not mine which got stolen) :( but back in the day it could have been classed as a hardcore hardtail as I had added manipoo Mach V's and riser bars.

1664411060099.png

Rorschach

Rorschach said:

@Rorschach Why not just get another back brake for the Honzo and swap front ends over?
Not a bad idea, but might be better to wait until I can get a groupset - ~$700 delivered for a Deore 12s from eBay with 2 pot brakes, and a new equivalent from say MTBD is ~$150

Rorschach

OK, Deore groupset with 2-pot brakes ordered from AliExpress. Same shop I bought the last one from, which has been bulletproof so far.
Downside is the brakes aren't moto style, but I can take them in when I next get the Prime serviced to switch them over. This is a bit beyond me!
Looks like only the little things to sort now - saddle, grips, pedals and spacers. Wheels will do double duty with the Prime for now.

Rorschach

OK, advice time.
Looking at fork decals and can't decide on colours.
These are my two options. I'm leaning towards the latter

BRG and Bronze to match the main frame colours:
1665025212737.png

Or Grey and Bronze to match the highlights on the top tube/seatstays and decals:
1665025283250.png

Rorschach

Also thinking a Wolftooth seatpost clamp in espresso would look good, but maybe the Gold will go with everything else

1665025443066.png
1665025641275.png

Along with some Burgtec pedals in Kash Bronze:
1665025537584.png

And some PNW grips in Peanut Butter:

1665025574773.png