Rocky Mountain Slayer

teK--

Eats Squid
@teK-- the Slayer chain stay guard looks great. Where did you get it from? My Instinct is noisy AF and I've managed to get it mostly quiet with a shitload of slapper tape but would love something more factory in appearance.
Hey mate can get one through any Rocky dealer. Or hit up the Bike Tech Bar in NSW on Facebook; they posted one out for me.

Also if you are running a SRAM derailleur, that is half your problem. Swap it for a Shimano; you can keep your shifter if you don't want to change it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hey mate can get one through any Rocky dealer. Or hit up the Bike Tech Bar in NSW on Facebook; they posted one out for me.

Also if you are running a SRAM derailleur, that is half your problem. Swap it for a Shimano; you can keep your shifter if you don't want to change it.
Thanks mate, was looking at them on the rocky website but $90USD after shopping seemed a bit excessive

teK--

Eats Squid
One of the side effects of the Smashpot is can potentially reduce the fully extended length of the fork (5mm in my case).

I suspect it has something to do with the chosen rate for the main spring, because when I changed to a lighter spring their was a further reduction in length. Possibly heaver springs would create more force against the topout spring, thus reducing this effect.

What used to be 178mm stanchion showing, was reduced to about 173mm and this bothered me as front of the bike was basically sitting 5mm lower.

To fix this, I needed to cut down the 10mm travel spacers to 5mm, in order to extend the travel from 170 up to 175mm.

Rather than fuck it up with some ghetto DIY hack job, Mark offered to save me from the fuckwits thread and machine down some of the 10mm spacers on his lathe. Thanks mate!

Old vs new (I only have 1 x 10mm spacer which is what has been cut down):

This is where we squeeze out the extra 5mm

And here:

175mm travel Fox 36 haha!

teK--

Eats Squid
Have had my eye on one of these gizmos from Reverse Components since they were announced last year...

Takes guess work out of working out how much travel is used on a coil shock.

Turns out what I previously thought was bottom out, was really the start of the steep ramp up from the bump stop onwards.

Have been able to run less damping and the suspension feels better than ever.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah not much of an update for a while but it's pissing down rain today so here are a few random things that happened in the last 15 months..

Went to wash bike one day and as I picked it up by the saddle:

20211029_180230.jpg

Would have been pissed if I that happened just as I was unloading the car at next ride. Not to be unexpected it has gone a solid 5 years of riding.

So this goes on for some nice oil slick goodness:

20220106_110646.jpg

Nice comfy saddle, works for my arse maybe not everyone else's.

Then was servicing the pivots a week before a trip to Derby, and I dropped by the fuckwits thread:

20220206_121930.jpg

Luckily it wasn't stuck in a blind part of the frame and some EZ Outs made light work of the rescue effort:

20220206_200044.jpg

And it wasn't some weird proprietary bolt, so Repco came to the party:

20220206_132543.jpg

Derby trip was saved!:

20220214_184742.jpg

Broke more shit. Luckily this time only on as stubborn pedal. (no didn't turn it the wrong way):

20220103_155324.jpg

Found a good deal on some Fox 38 Performance Elites.
3 rides in they just didn't feel right.
Stripped them down like I do with all new forks after initial bed-in.
The stanchions looked like they'd been ridden for a year with no oil in them.
The boys at Fox did a solid and turned around the repair quickly, with an unexpected Kashima upgrade:

20220508_153110.jpg

Rides good.
Cannot give a non biased review as I pulled out the airspring and put the Smashpot in before the first ride!

Don't think there are any more upgrades planned. Said no one ever :rolleyes:

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I had a knocking sound in my Slayer when unweighted so decided after 4 years was time to change the bearings.

Wasn’t as hard as I expected but also wasn’t as easy.

Didn’t fix the problem!

Turns out the shock bushings were shot. Would have been a much quicker/cheaper/easier fix.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I had a knocking sound in my Slayer when unweighted so decided after 4 years was time to change the bearings.

Didn’t fix the problem!

Turns out the shock bushings were shot. Would have been a much quicker/cheaper/easier fix.
But you do have flash new bearings. That job won't need to be done for a while. Swings and roundabouts.

teK--

Eats Squid

Didn’t fix the problem!

geeeez 4 years you are doing alright on original bearings!

most of mine last 2 seasons, but the others I have to change every year. That's giving them a few full spins every 6 months too, to get more even wear.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike looks great, and cant wait to see those upgrade! Whats your view on how the Reverse Components sag indicator works - ive been considering one for a while...

teK--

Eats Squid
bike looks great, and cant wait to see those upgrade! Whats your view on how the Reverse Components sag indicator works - ive been considering one for a while...
The sag indicator is a bit fiddly to get set up properly, so that it is lined up with the direction the shock is compressing. Otherwise it can bind or give an inaccurate reading. Same can happen if you happen to knock it during a ride.

Other than that it works really well just to keep it on for a ride or two while fine tuning settings. Otherwise you're really just flying blind with a coil shock.

I was able to wind open the compression a bit more after realising what I thought was bottom out was really just the beginning of the bump stop.

teK--

Eats Squid
Did someone say it's bloody hot in VIC at the moment?

Still managed to duck out for an early spin before the temps hit 38.

Since it was so hot there wasn't really enough time to do repeats and change settings inbetween. After the bike being in pieces for 5 weeks in a post-Maydena overhaul, I just wanted to ride!

Shockcraft Tune

First impression is the Unharsh treatment has made a noticeable difference in that the fork just gets out of the way more easily when hitting a bump mid corner or when it is already in the deeper part of its travel. I am assuming what they do is high-flow port the compression piston, similar to what they do with the aftermarket Andreani pistons.

With the Matrix Tune as expected they ask you a bunch of questions then build an appropriate set of shimstacks. They must also do something funky with the leaf spring adjuster, as what they have left me with is a set of adjusters that actually have useable range. With the stock setup I was basically running full open compression and rebound was almost full open.

Though they dyno test and have a recommended set of settings, I will still have a play around with them once the weather permits. For now the front is noticeably easier to hold a chosen line and with the ability to now dial in some LSC, the fork generally rides a bit higher but still breaks away when needed on bumps.

Cockpit:

Also swapped the Spank Vibrocore bars for Oneup Aluminium as they have more rise and I wanted to try this oval Koolaid. I was really digging running an extra 10mm stem spacer at Maydena, but didn't want to lose the reach. A higher rise bar made sense. In terms of feel, they are very similar to the Vibrocore. Admittedly it's hard to tell since they went on the same time as the fork tweaks.

The bars went on soon after replacing the 40mm stem with a 45mm, to more closely match the 44mm offset of the fork. Some deep diving says this is ideal to maintain bars with steering axis or something, so I thought why not and a chance to increase reach. In total bout 5mm more reach with the new stem/bar combo. I rode with this stem at Maydena and it felt good, but if I was do to a blind test I probably couldn't notice.

Fluid Focus bumpstop:

Last mod for this round, is the Fluid Focus bumpstop for the rear shock. The stock bumptop is short, rock hard, and feels like you basically hit a wall once you reach it. I notice the new Fox shocks have a longer/softer bumpstop design, so I sought these out. They come in 2 durometers (I went for the firmer one), and act earlier with a shallower rampup than stock.

Definitely noticed an improvement. I was able to open the HSC/HSR a bit and the rear still feels bottomless.

Will update as I have more time to play with the fork. Hope everyone gets out for a ride this weekend!

20240309_083345.jpg

20240309_083410.jpg

20240309_083421.jpg