RockShox Pike bottomless token question

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt
I recently just got a pack of bottomless tokens for my pike fork. I have the 2014 dual position air RCT3 Pike. I have read that you cannot put bottomless tokens on the dual position air pike, but on the service manual for the pike, there is a bottomless token displayed on the blueprint of the fork. https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...n_0000000004461_rev_c_2014_-_present_pike.pdf
(page 5)

Has anyone installed bottomless tokens to a dual position air pike before or know how that could help me out with how?

Thanks.

(Wasn't sure if this has been posted before)

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Apparently you can. The tokens screw into the bottom of the air cap on the spring leg for the solo air, so its a pretty asic job. For the dual position, the token needs to be fitted on the piston shaft, so there will be some fucking about, as you need to remove the full DPA shaft, and slide the tokens onto the bottom. The shape of the hole is supposed to hold them at the top of the shaft when the spring is depressurised.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So ah, has anyone got a manual on how to fit tokens to dual position Pikes? There is absolutely nothing on how to do it that I've found. The first person to find a link for me that is correct gets a prize! :lock1:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So ah, has anyone got a manual on how to fit tokens to dual position Pikes? There is absolutely nothing on how to do it that I've found. The first person to find a link for me that is correct gets a prize! :lock1:
Here's where they go Dozer.

uploadfromtaptalk1455159220031.jpg

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks for that, i knew i had written it somewhere.

It takes all of 30 seconds more than the solo air tokens.....
Tokens will take you 10mins to install. Much easier than the lowers service.

Let all the air out of the fork.

Use a socket to remove the little nut that screws onto the schrader valve (air valve)

Lift off the travel adjust knob.

Large socket now, 24mm maybe, sorry I forget. Unscrew the top cap of the leg.

Pull it out carefully, there's a long air shaft attached to the bottom of it.

Apply a bit of grease to how ever many tokens you're shoving in.

Slide token(s) over silver air shaft.

Place shaft back inside fork leg.

Then screw everything back together in reverse order.

Done.

No need to remove lowers to install tokens.

Hang on, are you implying that you put the tokens on the air shaft below the retaining ring? It sounds as though you're saying your take the schrader retaining nut off, unscrew the top cap, slide the whole assembly out then just slide the tokens onto the bottom end of the air shaft. If that's the case then thats wrong, the tokens need to go just below the top cap assembly and above the piston.
From the diagram, I need to remove the retaining ring below the piston, slide the untapped parts off below the bumper then get the piston off the shaft so I can then put the tokens above the piston then chuck it all back together.
Actually, after reading the first post in the thread you've replied to, it does sound like you've understood that the drizzle has taken those parts off already yeah? :noidea:

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure Im following you.

Firstly I think the OP has the wrong tokens. He has the solo air version, not the DPA version. Solo air made of plastic and threaded at the top. DPA are rubber and shaped like a donut.

The procedure for both is very, very similar.

Yes you remove the retaining nut for the travel adjuster up top before unscrewing the top cap. But from that point on the process is essentially the same, with the two exceptions that when you pull the top cap off the upper air shaft will come with it, and instead of screwing tokens to the bottom of the top cap, you slide them on the air shaft.

No need to remove anything from the spring assembly. No need to go near the lowers.

Just slide them on and reinsert the air shaft and screw down the top cap.

Does that make sense?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hang on, are you implying that you put the tokens on the air shaft below the retaining ring? It sounds as though you're saying your take the schrader retaining nut off, unscrew the top cap, slide the whole assembly out then just slide the tokens onto the bottom end of the air shaft. If that's the case then thats wrong, the tokens need to go just below the top cap assembly and above the piston.
From the diagram, I need to remove the retaining ring below the piston, slide the untapped parts off below the bumper then get the piston off the shaft so I can then put the tokens above the piston then chuck it all back together.
Actually, after reading the first post in the thread you've replied to, it does sound like you've understood that the drizzle has taken those parts off already yeah? :noidea:
Maybe they're like the ones I linked to above, where they just clip onto the top of the shaft under the top cap, rather than needing to be slid onto the shaft from the bottom i.e the token isn't solid. it has that gap down the side so it can just clip on.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Not sure Im following you.

Firstly I think the OP has the wrong tokens. He has the solo air version, not the DPA version. Solo air made of plastic and threaded at the top. DPA are rubber and shaped like a donut.

The procedure for both is very, very similar.

Yes you remove the retaining nut for the travel adjuster up top before unscrewing the top cap. But from that point on the process is essentially the same, with the two exceptions that when you pull the top cap off the upper air shaft will come with it, and instead of screwing tokens to the bottom of the top cap, you slide them on the air shaft.

No need to remove anything from the spring assembly. No need to go near the lowers.

Just slide them on and reinsert the air shaft and screw down the top cap.

Does that make sense?
Like BT asked, are you thinking the tokens are slotted so they slide onto the shaft from the side? The tokens aren't slotted as far as I know and getting them on means taking the piston and the lower retaining ring off.
I've taken the entire assembly out of the fork leg a few months ago and have a good visual idea of the right process, finding an official SRAM document is shit though. For what it's worth, when you use the 24mm to unscrew the top cap from the crown, it pulls the whole assembly with it once the bottom bolt is out and there's no way to slide the token's onto it without removing more parts. The dual air tokens are dark red, not the threaded solo air version. ;)

Boom King

When you unscrew the top cap of a DPA, the top shaft comes with it (it inserts into the DPA piston). Slide the tokens on, insert shaft and do it all back up (with liberal slicko application of coarse. Easy peasy!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like BT asked, are you thinking the tokens are slotted so they slide onto the shaft from the side? The tokens aren't slotted as far as I know and getting them on means taking the piston and the lower retaining ring off.
I've taken the entire assembly out of the fork leg a few months ago and have a good visual idea of the right process, finding an official SRAM document is shit though. For what it's worth, when you use the 24mm to unscrew the top cap from the crown, it pulls the whole assembly with it once the bottom bolt is out and there's no way to slide the token's onto it without removing more parts. The dual air tokens are dark red, not the threaded solo air version. ;)
Nope, not slotted. Solid rubber donuts.

I've done this on my fork three times and another fork too.

The air Spring is actually two shafts. The top slides inside the bottom one. All you need to do is remove the top cap which will in turn remove the 'upper' shaft with it, then just slide the token/rings on. Slide draft back in, tighten top cap. Done.

Absolutely no need at all to go near the bottom of the fork, all done up the top. It's really, really simple, but isn't exactly clear till you do it once.

Really doesn't help that there is no I for easily attainable.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Nope, not slotted. Solid rubber donuts.

I've done this on my fork three times and another fork too.

The air Spring is actually two shafts. The top slides inside the bottom one. All you need to do is remove the top cap which will in turn remove the 'upper' shaft with it, then just slide the token/rings on. Slide draft back in, tighten top cap. Done.

Absolutely no need at all to go near the bottom of the fork, all done up the top. It's really, really simple, but isn't exactly clear till you do it once.

Really doesn't help that there is no I for easily attainable.

Riiiiiight! So if I leave the bottom bolt engaged on the lower and remove the top cap then it exposes a vacant end of the air shaft to just slide the fucking fucks on! That'd be ace!
Thanks for the quick replies, it's a bloody big help. ;)

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riiiiiight! So if I leave the bottom bolt engaged on the lower and remove the top cap then it exposes a vacant end of the air shaft to just slide the fucking fucks on! That'd be ace!
Yep, that's it!

Too easy fella.

Boom King

This is the DPA top cap with shaft clearly attached.

This is the DPA piston, which the top shaft freely pulls out from.

Leave all the bottom shit alone and simply pull the top out, slide tokens on and reassemble. Job done.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'll include you guys in the rights when I make and copyright the manual later this week. Thanks lads. ;)

stirk

Burner
[video=youtube_share;e69N6Pzt9HI]https://youtu.be/e69N6Pzt9HI[/video]