Rock Climbing

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
You do not learn to climb on the internet - This is rule 1 of learning to climb.
True, the best way to learn is with a trusted mentor though there is an abundance of amazing resources online where you can read up on fall factors, (great to know) what the numbers mean about a rope (static elongation, dynamic elongation, UIAA falls, impact force etc) gear techniques (stacking nuts, opposing gear etc) and even how to tips for climbing offwidths;)

Rule 2 - if you wear a go pro you will fall & hurt yourself whilst screaming like a sissy.
Here's a pretty crazy thread from a climbing forum about a dude who climbed with a dude he met online. He had a go-pro on to record his monster fall, which resulted in a very bad ankle injury. I don't let random people belay me.

http://www.chockstone.org/forum/For...ssageID=10536&Replies=137&PagePos=0&Sort=Hits

MARKL

Eats Squid
You do not learn to climb on the internet - This is rule 1 of learning to climb.

Rule 2 - if you wear a go pro you will fall & hurt yourself whilst screaming like a sissy.
:clap2:Did you read point 1 of my previous post?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
True, the best way to learn is with a trusted mentor though there is an abundance of amazing resources online where you can read up on fall factors, (great to know) what the numbers mean about a rope (static elongation, dynamic elongation, UIAA falls, impact force etc) gear techniques (stacking nuts, opposing gear etc) and even how to tips for climbing offwidths;)

Here's a pretty crazy thread from a climbing forum about a dude who climbed with a dude he met online. He had a go-pro on to record his monster fall, which resulted in a very bad ankle injury. I don't let random people belay me.

http://www.chockstone.org/forum/For...ssageID=10536&Replies=137&PagePos=0&Sort=Hits
Man that's heavy.... Did they ever find out the full story?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Man that's heavy.... Did they ever find out the full story?
Not that I'm aware of. The casualty lost his business and use of his foot. Hopefully he's up and about.

EDIT. The article I linked also includes a pretty good discussion of grigri's and forces generated on the top piece during a fall...

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've often thought of doing some bouldering (indoors) with the boy but I'm not sure I want to encourage him taking up the sport outdoors
The good thing about bouldering indoors, apart from developing great technique, problem solving and strength, it really puts a halt on your stamina and/or ability to tackle long sport routes outdoors :p

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The good thing about bouldering indoors, apart from developing great technique, problem solving and strength, it really puts a halt on your stamina and/or ability to tackle long sport routes outdoors :p
The old strength v endurance debate. If you can't do a single strength move what is there to endure, but if you can't endure every move on the climb what the point in having the strength to pull the bottom move....

In the gym down climbing rather than lowering off is good for getting that stamina up and also I found when starting out it helped build technique as I had to think about foot placement a bit more.

I miss climbing at times but I was never flexible enough to be good at it and 17 years of eating well (Ok, not well but lots) later I'm not exactly at peak climbing physique.....

Ouch I just put them on, I forgot how small they were, 1 to 1 & 1/2 sizes smaller than my normal shoes, madness !!!

If I do get back into bouldering I doubt I'll that keen again as to wear such small climbing slippers but I won't want spend the $$ on some new ones.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I got a fair bit of bouldering in during last nights climbing, really enjoyed it. Sit starts suck and it absolutely thrashed the hands though. Nice bit of punctuation between full routes.

took the boy to 9 degrees last nite, he was able to just fit my old kattacks

I haven't climbed for 10 years I reckon, was fun to get on the wall again and surprised myself I was still able to climb a bit

The boy was in his element, running from route to route, he went pretty good

nakedape

Likes Dirt
^ it's a great sport to get kids into - so much self-confidence for them as well as problem solving and team work skills