Ripmo AF

damo666

Likes Dirt
My youngest is growing like a weed, and his bike was looking comically small for him.
So of course the only logical option was that I get to do an N+1 upgrade...hence enter a 2020 Ibis Rimpo AF frame for Dad!!

(don't feel too sorry for him, the little bugger still did very well out of this exchange).

Fork160mm Lyrik Select
ShockDVO Topaz T3 Air
WheelsDT Swiss EX511 / DT350 Hubs
TiresMinion DHF x 2.5 and Dissector x 2.4
BrakesSRAM Guide RSC
Brake RotorsSRAM Centreline 200/180
CranksSRAM XO1 Carbon, 170mm (non-boost) w 30T Absolute Black Oval
Bottom BracketSRAM GXP
Rear DerailleurShimano XT 11sp
Shift LeversShimano XT 11sp
CassetteShimano XT 11-46t
ChainShimano XT
HeadsetCane Creek 40 ZS44/ZS56
GripsKona Key lock on's
HandlebarRenthal Fatbar Carbon 760mm
StemRenthal Apex
SeatpostBrand-X Ascend 150mm
SaddleFizik Aliente
Weight14.9kg

Whilst there was certainly nothing wrong with my current bike (Hightower LT CC), I was pretty keen to sample something a little slacker and with a steeper seat angle, and these seemed to review well. The biggest drawcard though was the cost, as there was no way I could afford the $5k or $6k that they want for a good top end frame nowadays.

Massive shout out to the guys at Summit Cycles. What started as a quick enquiry (fully expecting to be told of a 6-8 week wait), ended with the young bloke from Summit driving to the warehouse for me to pick it up and having the frame in the hands of the courier that afternoon!

I then had a few pangs of buyers remorse, and was very concerned that going from a fancy 'light' carbon frame to alloy would be a backward step - but I chose the air shock and with a slight change in tyres this turned out only 300g heavier than the carbon Hightower LT!

Ride wise - really loving the longer wheelbase and slacker head angle, it makes this much less twitchy and natural through fast corners.
The rear suspension is great too and I now see why people rave about DW link bikes. It feels silky plush and has so much traction (especially climbing tech stuff - the total opposite of the Santa Cruz). At the same time it still feels poppy and jumps very, very well.
Pretty happy with the DVO topaz shock, although I need to do some fiddling with the volume spacers to see how that changes things.

Climbing wise - it is not a fast climber, but is very 'efficient', does not feel heavy, and does not bind up on square edges like the Santa Cruz did. Due to this I'd say it is a better climber, but not necessarily as fast outright (I don't do Strava, just going by feel here)

Overall I'm stoked. Only planned upgrade is a set of Nextie rims once the slow boat from China gets here.