Rimtacular failure

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding along and the next thing I hear a big bang from the back wheel. Thought it was just a blowout until I looked down...:eek:...:mad:...check out the attached pics and you will see what actually happened.:(

Attachments

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Fair effort dude. Looks like your rocking an '05 Yukon. I still havent managed to do that but my guess is its not far off...

They are usually very strong wheels.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Was that rim ever used with a rim brake?

I had that happen to me with a Mavic 618 rim when i was commuting on it. Tyre was pumped up to 80psi, i guess the sidewall was a little thin from being worn away with brake pads, and it just gave way one day.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, it's a 2005 yukon with original rims, so it's only 3 years old. Never had rim brakes and I really was just riding along. For some strange reason I only ever break stuff when cruising, don't ask me why as I have no idea.:)

maxybon1234

Likes Dirt
mmmmm... you could buff that out and she'll be sweet.
Hard to believe you were just rolling along, Manafuctures defect maybe?

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if your anything like your avatar.....that would be why!
That made me laugh.:D Some say I am way too much like my avatar.:p

Did it break at the weld/join or did it just snap.

either way :eek:
It's very hard to tell what came first the vertical crack in the rim, then it peeled off. Or the rim peeled away then snapped in two. The side wall of the rim has a groove in it. The rim wall peeled away very nicely along the line of the groove so I am inclined to say that the rim split along the line of the groove then snapped. Maybe the snap was the result of the tube blow out, who knows?

Cheers,
CBG.