Rim width disparity - How far is too far?

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in the process of treating myself to a sparklier, more obnoxious sounding wheelset and have found myself fixated on one set in particular. However, without spending significantly more, I can only get them with a 26iw rear and 35iw front. My intention was to run a 2.5 rear tyre and either 2.6 or 2.7 front, which are within the range of these rims but it still doesn't feel right. My question is; could this combination potentially work well or am I better off waiting around for something a bit more ordinary to become available? Has anyone tried something similar?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You could run a 2.5 on a 26mm internal rear rim. The side lugs would round over a bit but this is less of a problem on the rear than the front.
OCD says rim widths should match though …

slowmick

38-39"
I run 35mm+ 2.6 on the front and 23mm + 2.35 in the back of my hard tail. Was going to run 28mm at the rear but couldn't get a pre-built wheel at the time. Just don't use tan wall tires.

clockworked

Like an orange
I did 2.6 hans dampf on a 30mm iw rim on the front with a 2.35 and a 25mm iw on the rear. I dont like those big tyres on the front, they seem to dull/distort the steering feel

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
35i is good for 2.5" Maxxis WT tyres up front (Assegai or DHF). 2.4" Maxxis WT (DHR II) and most other brands seem to fit 30i better (IMO). If you're aiming to run 2.6, 35i should be fine too.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could run a 2.5 on a 26mm internal rear rim. The side lugs would round over a bit but this is less of a problem on the rear than the front.
OCD says rim widths should match though …
I reckon I've got you trumped on OCD in most cases but I ran a 35mm ID on front and a 30mm ID on the back for years. Had to be the same brand and colour, same number of spokes on same brand hubs. Oh and tyres had to be same brand.

So to the OP, no problemo. As others have pointed out you'll get a slight bulging on the rear but it will be fine.