riding kit, protection etc costs!

Andor

Squid
I will be getting into mountain biking shortly and i'm hoping to get into fast/aggressive trail, light dh and maybe some dirt jumping. It's been quite a while since I was a teenager and I take safety pretty seriously. I can't afford to be off work injured. I'd also enjoy the extra confidence that being well protected offers. But I dont want to look like a pro motoX guy or anything either, like a plastic robocop. So i've been looking into all the kit and armor required. Helmet, gloves, shoes, glasses, shorts, jersey, knees, shins, elbows, shoulders, chest, back..... etc. I was liking what I saw and heard about POC stuff so I priced up a kit, mostly POC, and it was around $1500!! How much have you spent on all your kit? Is expensive stuff worth it? Ive seen some pics recently of people with large sticks embedded in their legs and stuff... didn't look fun.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Some stuff is worth the price, I use POC knee guards and cannot praise them highly enough just brilliant. I would also be using their vpd spine vest if they had a neck brace compatible one which they don't.
Did your pricing include a POC DH helmet (cortex I believe) they are fairly expensive and you can get some good quality helmets like 661 for much cheaper.
I think protection is really important but very personalized to what you want to cover. what did your list include?
with kit like jerseys and pants if you want to slash some pricing shop around of course but also don't go for the high end names like TLD.

Look at 661 pressure suit it has slimmed down a lot in the past few years and from memory isn't overly priced, it does however use hard plate spine protection so wont be as comfortable as a poc suit.
Poc is hard to beat for their protection and comfortability though.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
For knees / Shins / Elbows

Pushie are bringing G-Form

Reviews
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/G-Form-Knee-Pads-Tested-2011.html
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/03/22/initial-review-g-form-kneepads/

[video=youtube;pdtcUM12HXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdtcUM12HXo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

For trail riding ... the knee shin combo provide some additional benefits aside from protection
i) act as compression tights, reducing fatigue and recovery
ii) warms up muscles at the start of the ride ... which will be nice in winter
iii) starts off a little warm in summer, but as you sweat the material wicks moisture and starts to cool you down, kinda freaky really.
iv) acts as a barrier against mud, sun, leaches, mozzies etc etc.

Elbows
The trick with the elbows is to wear them with the friction strips on the forearm instead of the biceps ... in a crash this will then stop the pad pushing up your arm.

available @
http://www.cycotic.com.au/brands/G%2dform.html
http://www.blackmanbicycles.com.au/contact/

Soon to be available
http://erinabikeworxonline.com/

We also have discussed with fortheriders (QLD), JTcycles (SA), SpokeNT (NT), Performance Cycle Solutions (TAS), BSC (VIC) they will likely special order it in, but rider demand is what gets it in store.

indica

Serial flasher
I will be getting into mountain biking shortly.... I can't afford to be off work injured..... Ive seen some pics recently of people with large sticks embedded in their legs and stuff... didn't look fun.
Well, potentially you should not ride.
I have never had a stick embedded in my leg. I have been riding for 20 years and have only once had time off work, so perhaps your fears are a little unfounded?

Potentially you are better off buying an AM style bike and taking it easy.
Helmet and gloves are really the only needed items.

Andor

Squid
Thanks for the replies. Mountain biking will be replacing motorsport as cheaper and healthier hobby. Going fast and hard is what I like to do, I doubt I will find more sedate XC style riding satisfying. I accept that this carries a certain amount of risk, I'm just saying I want to be well prepared. Obviously I won't be doing the big stuff straight up, so perhaps I'll just grab a helmet, gloves and maybe knee pads and work the rest out from there.

The kit I priced up was all POC VPD 2.0 stuff as well as their jersey, shorts, etc and either trabec or receptor helmet (MIPS version). I want a helmet I can use for commuting to work and everything, so I didnt want a full face and I dont fancy buying two straight up. It is likely I wont be needing that kind of protection for a while anyway.

That G-form stuff is awesome despite being so ugly. I'm looking to get some tight fitting kneepads like those. Currently use shin/kneepad armor but it's quite bulky at the knee and can get in the way of handling tight corners.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy gloves, helmet and full fave lid - If you hunt round, you can get 661 helmets for ~$120 or so..

Also XC riding is good fun!

rb baby

Likes Dirt
I just got a 661 comp shifted helmet off CRC for $102 bux delivered, looks the goods...

Ive also got a set off 661 gloves, knee/shin guards but they are kinda annoying to ride with, the only reason I got the knee/shin combo is that from years of riding bikes/dirt bikes unprotected as a kid my knees, shins, back and neck are a mess, so now that im older I kinda feel the same towards injury and being off work but the other day I went for a thrash without the knee/shin guards and the chain on my bike let go and bashed my knee on the handle bars... Outcome? One day off work and a limp for the rest of the week lol, so annoying as they are I think they are still knee-ded but im going to buy the soft neoprene type (veggie) by 661, so far im more than satisfied with the quality and price of their gear.

Plus I buy all the discounted gear so im always saving $$$ and look for free delivery deals.

MARKL

Eats Squid
The POC stuff is great but exxy. The Trabec MIPS is a great bit of lit but if dollars are an issue there are plenty of cheaper options - TBSM are doing the 661 Recon for $69.95.

Whilst downhill can be ridiculous fun, speed and going hard aren't limited to DH - thats the reason most of on here have more than 1 bike cause all elements for the sport are fun. Without knowing your background but seeing your desire to limit injuries DH is not the place to start - something to move up to over time.

Cheers and goodluck

driftking

Wheel size expert
Thanks for the replies. Mountain biking will be replacing motorsport as cheaper and healthier hobby. Going fast and hard is what I like to do, I doubt I will find more sedate XC style riding satisfying. I accept that this carries a certain amount of risk, I'm just saying I want to be well prepared. Obviously I won't be doing the big stuff straight up, so perhaps I'll just grab a helmet, gloves and maybe knee pads and work the rest out from there.

The kit I priced up was all POC VPD 2.0 stuff as well as their jersey, shorts, etc and either trabec or receptor helmet (MIPS version). I want a helmet I can use for commuting to work and everything, so I didnt want a full face and I dont fancy buying two straight up. It is likely I wont be needing that kind of protection for a while anyway.
I'd say that while you might not be hitting big stuff first you are probably more likely to have a crash while you are learning, don't get me wrong expierienced riders crash and tend to crash harder but Both can be dangerous, likewise it doesn't always matter how fast you go an awkward Landing can result in some serious damage. I think it would be smart to get the kit during your learning phase. As you become a better rider you might find you abandon some protection even. Just something to think about.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When i was getting into dh, i had a fair few crashes, and also many shin to pedal experiences. If i didnt wear knee/shin pads, my legs would have chunks missing. for starting dh, i highly recommend a knee shin guard, it saves a lot of pain and blood. :D

T-Rex

Template denier
Well, potentially you should not ride.
I have never had a stick embedded in my leg. I have been riding for 20 years and have only once had time off work, so perhaps your fears are a little unfounded?
I've been riding 6 years , and did a really good job of skewering my lower leg on a fallen tree on a xc ride around Manly Dam a couple of years ago. It was a really juicy and protracted story, involving lots of blood and pus. FYI wood doesnt show up on x-rays.

That said, the best protection is to know your limits. I still see lots of guys my age getting significant injuries from riding like they are teenagers. Even old T-Rex ended up with a MRI and several trips to physio when his ambition briefly got ahead of his skills at a recent AM race.

I have every known piece of protection for DH, but just a helmet and gloves for XC.

indica

Serial flasher
That said, the best protection is to know your limits. .
Point being shit happens.
Being prepared may never make a difference. I fucked my knee when I stopped to check out a rock garden that had changed, Needed surgery after that.

Shit happens and can happen while getting out of bed.
If the worry is getting hurt and causing issues with work, get income protection insurance, that will go further than a few scratch protectors.

T-Rex

Template denier
Point being shit happens.
Being prepared may never make a difference. I fucked my knee when I stopped to check out a rock garden that had changed, Needed surgery after that.

Shit happens and can happen while getting out of bed.
If the worry is getting hurt and causing issues with work, get income protection insurance, that will go further than a few scratch protectors.
True that. If the OP doesn't want to get hurt, he's contemplating the wrong sport.

Andor

Squid
Ok so i'm not looking at doing any full on DH. More AM, super d/enduro style stuff and maybe some dirt jumping. I work for my Dad and its just the two of us. If im off injured, it hurts the business. This is my concern rather than personal income. That said I don't want to let such concerns hold me back, after all I work to live rather than live to work. It seems the responsible thing to do is to have all the gear and minimize the risk as much as possible.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Its a funny old sport I have had some fairly hard landings the last couple of years doing downhill and a few injuries to show for it but I hadn't crashed doing XC for years. Riding the new XC/AM bike about three weeks back on a section of fire trail I know like back of my hand and I am passing a rider in our group, going significantly faster (15-20k's speed difference), I call 'passing on your left', I don't slow down, he starts moving to the left as I am committed, I keep moving to the left, brushing overhanging branches now...boom! I must have clipped a solid branch with the bar and/or the brake. Over the bars - concussion, broken ribs, knee & shoulder fucked, right hand blows up straight away blood and guts everywhere.

Fuck I love this sport! Can't wait to get back on the bike, I am so pissed I can't ride - ribs still giving trouble, swelling on knee improving slowly and have limited movement in my left arm...need to ride Thredbo before season closes!

You have to be prepared to pay to play!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
As pretty much everyone has said so far, an injury is likely if you like to go hard and an injury is likely if you take it easy and have a bit of bad luck. But you're more likely to get hurt and seriously if you favour DH over XC.

In my humble opinion the expensive gear is worth the extra cost. But the most important factor when wearing any protective clothing in a industrial or recreational arena is that you know how to use it properly (thats a no brainer for MTB) and it fits perfectly, no point wearing protection that displaces on impact.

Do not buy your protection online! go into a store or a few and try the different brands on, were all snowflakes so what great for me may not fit you, pretty much any decent brand will offer excellent protection, the extra cost maybe, brand name, a better fit (extemely important), more durable, cooled to wear (temp. not style).

It's a wise investment, whilst a lot of money needs to be spent, pain, saving yourself a nasty injury or at least minimising an injury is well worth it.

What's on your list? 1500 seems like a lot of $$$ to me.

Andor

Squid
I had worked out the cost off of the POC website but that seems to be wrong. I checked with amazon and it came out at $870, so thats much better. There doesnt seem to be anywhere in australia selling POC, atleast not that I can find. Meaning for POC atleast, online may be the only option.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I had worked out the cost off of the POC website but that seems to be wrong. I checked with amazon and it came out at $870, so thats much better. There doesnt seem to be anywhere in australia selling POC, atleast not that I can find. Meaning for POC atleast, online may be the only option.
I cant speak for other stores but TBSM does POC.