Riding in Adelaide

Jpez

Down on the left!
So I’m heading up to Adelaide in October and have one day to ride.
My bike and I will unceremoniously be dumped at a trail head by the missus while she goes and does her thing.
So I know nothing about Adelaide trails so the question is where?

I saw Fox creek on You tube which looks awesome. Long gnarly decents which is exactly what I’m after. But can I ride back to the top or does it require a shuttle?

I’ll have my dually with me.

Any suggestions of where I should base myself for the day?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had a full spare day in Adelaide a couple of years ago. Work trip with a Ute.

Rode Eagle then Fox Creek and then Craigburn Farm.

Fox Creek was the best place and way better to spend 3hrs plus. It is a bit out of town though so the missus would need to hang around in the hills / towns.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I had a full spare day in Adelaide a couple of years ago. Work trip with a Ute.

Rode Eagle then Fox Creek and then Craigburn Farm.

Fox Creek was the best place and way better to spend 3hrs plus. It is a bit out of town though so the missus would need to hang around in the hills / towns.
Sounds great! Missus and the kid are going to visit some wineries etc.
The Vid I saw of Lone Gum I think it was in Fox creek looks like a bunch of fun. Looks like a long way back to the top though!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
There's a few hotspots around the foothills, but Fox Creek has the greatest variety.

I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, but the Trailforks app works for me

Jpez

Down on the left!
Does not compute....

By the time you've had you're after ride re-hydration who's driving?

You nailed it! You’d be amazed how well a 3 year old drives these days.
She’s just going to have a poke around. Sight see so to speak.
There's a few hotspots around the foothills, but Fox Creek has the greatest variety.

I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, but the Trailforks app works for me
Yeah I’ve checked Trailforks out in the past but nothing beats local knowledge.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It’s a whole bunch of trails that you can loop, link and (pine forest) get lost in !
Beat me to it. :)

What I was cryptically suggesting is that after you go down, you have to propel yourself back up - there is no public vehicle access into the park to shuttle; although there is a lower trailhead where you could meet your taxi, but it's a slightly indirect route back to the top. But despite sounding like an oxymoron, there are some fun climbs too.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nah, we just have a greater appreciation for more diverse terrain. ;)
You get a nice sense of achievement clearing tech sections, and its a way to track fitness, but fun? Nope. Appreciating and enjoying are different

for instance, I will never be stoked I’m at the bottom of temptation creek (loftus locals should know this hellhole) and faced with that prick of a fireroad out. Slippery, steep shit. bleugh.

But I appreciate being able to get out without vommiting now ( Whoda thunk you’d lose all fitness being housebound for 4 months, bent over a bike throwin chunks isn’t a fun way to finish up a ride hahah!)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We have a load of trail networks here now and increasing every year, the local MTB Parks now consist of Lynton, CraigBurn Farm, Shepherds Hill, O'Halloran Hill, Sturt Gorge, Eagle, Anstey Hill, Cobblers Creek, Prospect Hill and Fox Creek, plus many more small areas where trails have been built to replace old butchered walking trails, a couple just down from me are the new Andersons reserve and Randalls reserve

There should be quite a few YouTube vids on them if you want to Google it.

We also have access to the big 2 NP's, being Belair and Cleland, which helps when linking different parks together.

While I dont get up to Fox that often as the 1 hour each way drive + the time to get my shit together on either end of the ride, can mean a 2-3 hour local loop on awesome trails... without the ride time at Fox, so a 3 hour ride can waste 6 hours... and I don't have that much spare time at the moment.

BUT... If I was give the chance to ride 1 day in Adelaide, it would have to be Fox Creek. They have just built 2 new trails in there lately, Blue Grove and Ducks Guts, I still have not made it up there to ride them... though maybe in the next couple of weeks.

If you are here midweek, I might even have a free day as the house renos are 99% finished and I have told the missus I'm doing no more work till next winter.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I don’t believe you either.

You front mech bunch are twisted.
I’m with Mr Lord on this one. But if the evil past time of climbing must be done to get back to the top to bomb back down then it shall be done. Just not enjoyed.....
We have a load of trail networks here now and increasing every year, the local MTB Parks now consist of Lynton, CraigBurn Farm, Shepherds Hill, O'Halloran Hill, Sturt Gorge, Eagle, Anstey Hill, Cobblers Creek, Prospect Hill and Fox Creek, plus many more small areas where trails have been built to replace old butchered walking trails, a couple just down from me are the new Andersons reserve and Randalls reserve

There should be quite a few YouTube vids on them if you want to Google it.

We also have access to the big 2 NP's, being Belair and Cleland, which helps when linking different parks together.

While I dont get up to Fox that often as the 1 hour each way drive + the time to get my shit together on either end of the ride, can mean a 2-3 hour local loop on awesome trails... without the ride time at Fox, so a 3 hour ride can waste 6 hours... and I don't have that much spare time at the moment.

BUT... If I was give the chance to ride 1 day in Adelaide, it would have to be Fox Creek. They have just built 2 new trails in there lately, Blue Grove and Ducks Guts, I still have not made it up there to ride them... though maybe in the next couple of weeks.

If you are here midweek, I might even have a free day as the house renos are 99% finished and I have told the missus I'm doing no more work till next winter.
Awesome info thanks! It will be a weekend but thanks anyway. Through a weird 3 deg of separation contacts through a brothers sisters uncles best mate I’ve got a fella that’s going to show me around on the weekend at Fox creek so should be sweet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Awesome info thanks! It will be a weekend but thanks anyway.
No worries, my boys take up every available weekend as I'm a shift worker so I can't make any plans as them lil buggers have a better social life and race itenary than I do these days.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
What Ozzy said. I am a huge fan of fox to kill a whole day. So much variety. Can ride up in 30 minutes at a chill pace. can fire road push in about 15-20.

A good loop would be, middle earth -> ant logic-> climbing Ivy (or fire rd) -> ducks guts or fox long-> fire road up-> Lone gum.
Would give you a solid variety of what fox has.

You can also ride Pioneer womens trail from the outer edge of the city up to eagle, through eagle to crafers, down a trail called EWOK, then Bullocks and then maybe waterfull gully down. That will give insight to what a few of our faster enduro/dh riders ride.

Cobblers, anstey hill, sheppards hill and craigburn are all very much the same style of trail so I would only visit one of those in a weekend.