Riding around tathra/Bega area

dh1

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I am potentially looking to relocate from Wollongong to Tathra and was wondering what other trail networks there are around that area (within 1 hour drive) besides the well known network at tathra?
Is there anywhere with a bit more altitude for climbing and descents? I am very much used to riding mt keira (400m) and hoping for something similar...

Thanks,

Zeb.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There's a pretty good little trail network at Mogo, although that's about two hours from Tathra.

There was a fantastic flowing descent called Snake track which you could do over and over climbing a fire road to get back to the top, although I heard a rumour that that bit got logged; I haven't been down there for a few years now.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
There's a pretty good little trail network at Mogo, although that's about two hours from Tathra.

There was a fantastic flowing descent called Snake track which you could do over and over climbing a fire road to get back to the top, although I heard a rumour that that bit got logged; I haven't been down there for a few years now.
Snake track is as good as its ever been, it's the rest of that loop that's deteriorated.

Not much elevation just riding that trail though, nor technical challenges. Great fun though

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I know this is a fair gravedig, but I have some time to play with over Xmas-New Year & thinking of heading to Sth Coast area. Just wondering what trail conditions are like at Tathra & surrounds, I know the area got hit pretty badly by fires a couple of years ago.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It’s been absolutely torrential at times a tad further north and trails have been copping it. I’ve been on the bike once in months. Fingers crossed for a sustained dry spell; there’s so much moisture in the ground, the minute it rains everything is instantly waterlogged.

Mogo/Bateman’s bay trail development is still caught up in red tape, despite funding and design being ready to go. Once they get the go ahead it’ll take them a year they’re saying, but should be good when completed. That said, the Deep Creek Dam trail outside Batemans Bay is a great fun, high speed XC, and very well maintained.

Let’s see what the coming weeks bring weather-wise.

MHz

Squid
Narooma trail network is solid, and has more development in progress. They hold up fair.y well after light rain too (well compared to Silvan and the black loam of the Dandenongs anyway.)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Narooma trail network is solid, and has more development in progress. They hold up fair.y well after light rain too (well compared to Silvan and the black loam of the Dandenongs anyway.)
Good to hear. I am heading down there at the end of the month. Where is the best place to find details on the trails ?

MHz

Squid
Best to take a look at Trailforks (it is up to date) and Narooma Mountain Bike of FB.

Big Ass Flies is a good fun and flowy starting trail (took an 8yo down it the other day), and they get progressively harder from there.