Riders in Derby? Or North East TAS?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Evening all, I’m moving to Derby TAS from Wollongong NSW in three weeks, pretty damn excited!
Any other ‘burners in the area?
I don't know what you are going to do when you get there, the riding choice is pretty bleak. lol

I'm up in Penguin on the Northwest coast, so if you are up that way let me know.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Big move with decent(ish) trails too ;)
What you doing in Derby ?
Yeah man, pretty keen for it... will be a short ride to the trails so should be lapping them most days.
What will I be doing? Setting up a brothel, maybe a drug den, might rob a few banks... I dunno man, might just do makeup tutorials on YouTube. ;)

Last edited:

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
I don't know what you are going to do when you get there, the riding choice is pretty bleak. lol
I'm up in Penguin on the Northwest coast, so if you are up that way let me know.
Hahaha, yeah I'm not even sure if Derby has trails. Can't imagine there's much there lol.
I've not done too much exploring around the area so will be keen to get out and about... I've barely scratched the surface of the north east but always keen for laps of new trails.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah man, pretty keen for it... will be a short ride to the trails so should be lapping them most days.
What will I be doing? Setting up a brothel, maybe a drug den, might rob a few banks... I dunno man, might just do makeup tutorials on YouTube.
So retirement !

Nice one, hope you picked up a place at a decent price.

I'm over in mid Nov for a week... when it's dry, hopefully.

ozzybmx

Haha yeah pretty much, done my time in the big city... over it, was time for a change.
And yeah we got a few acres at the edge of town near the river, 5 mins to the trails and the pub. What else do you need? ;)
There were a couple of options on Mutual Rd not so long ago ? Some nice places down there with a bit of land and river.

What's the plan for November?
12 of us with an Adventure tour operator, he's run Derby trips in the past.

3 days shuttles in Derby, 1 Blue Tier, 1 BoF trail and 1 in St Helens.

Only shorty but I turn 50 in the middle of it.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
There were a couple of options on Mutual Rd not so long ago ? Some nice places down there with a bit of land and river.
Nailed it in one, we couldn't resist. My wife described it as her perfect house and I just looked at the trails... bought it the next day.

12 of us with an Adventure tour operator, he's run Derby trips in the past.
3 days shuttles in Derby, 1 Blue Tier, 1 BoF trail and 1 in St Helens.
Only shorty but I turn 50 in the middle of it.
That sounds absolutely epic mate, those big group trips are always the best trips!! I'm 44 so not far behind you... although on the bike I'm probably miles back haha.

ozzybmx

Nailed it in one, we couldn't resist. My wife described it as her perfect house and I just looked at the trails... bought it the next day.

That sounds absolutely epic mate, those big group trips are always the best trips!! I'm 44 so not far behind you... although on the bike I'm probably miles back haha.
Awesome ! You have Trouty running down the hill on the other side of the river from you, my most favourite trail ever ridden... which is 13 times according to Strava.

The only problem with Trouty is there's no easy way of getting to it, no shuttles and all the climbs are much the same effort, Krushkas, Black Dragon or Atlas.
I did climb Krushkas descent once (which is the easiest way up), was a bit accidental to start with but I didn't bother turning around when I realised where I was, also didn't meet anyone coming down.

jrewing

Eats Squid
What type of riding you into? Have other trails around too that are very good, tech or jumpy. Year younger than I. I moved from nth beaches in syd a year ago.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Awesome ! You have Trouty running down the hill on the other side of the river from you, my most favourite trail ever ridden... which is 13 times according to Strava.
I just watched a video of Trouty, looks exactly my kind of thing... hard to make out how steep it is with the Go Pro effect but I'm bombing Mount Keira here in Wollongong most weekends which has kept my tech riding on point, so I'll likely be heading straight for Trouty and Air-Ya-Garn as soon as moving boxes hit the ground. I'm not gonna lie, at this stage I have ridden zero trails in Derby, or TAS for that matter... it was time for a change, we have a few friends nearby and we thought what the hell... so we've sold up and going for it.

I've been studying the trail map overlaid on Google maps (https://flowmountainbike.com/destination/blue-derby/) and think it can't be too hard to find a way through from Mutual Road to Krushka's... there's gotta be some sneaky local knowledge that I'll tapping into at the earliest convenience.

What type of riding you into? Have other trails around too that are very good, tech or jumpy. Year younger than I. I moved from nth beaches in syd a year ago.
Hell yes man, are you loving it in TAS? I'm into a mixed bag of riding, it was trials and dirtjumps as a young padawan, then been hitting mostly enduro style trails for the last few years. Love the tech, love jumping but I'm no trick wizard, mostly just fast flowing lines. Maybe my fave full-sender trails are Trebuchet at Stromlo and Sidewinder & Ricochet at Thredbo, I love those trails. What kind of riding are you into?

ozzybmx

I just watched a video of Trouty, looks exactly my kind of thing... hard to make out how steep it is with the Go Pro effect but I'm bombing Mount Keira here in Wollongong most weekends which has kept my tech riding on point, so I'll likely be heading straight for Trouty and Air-Ya-Garn as soon as moving boxes hit the ground. I'm not gonna lie, at this stage I have ridden zero trails in Derby, or TAS for that matter... it was time for a change, we have a few friends nearby and we thought what the hell... so we've sold up and going for it.

I've been studying the trail map overlaid on Google maps (https://flowmountainbike.com/destination/blue-derby/) and think it can't be too hard to find a way through from Mutual Road to Krushka's... there's gotta be some sneaky local knowledge that I'll tapping into at the earliest convenience.
Good choice, I make a beeline for Trouty on day 1 each time we go there.

You are on the same side so there may be a back door for locals. Might be a bit of a climb but there may be some logging track up the back end of Mutual road.

Exciting stuff !

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Good choice, I make a beeline for Trouty on day 1 each time we go there.
Thanks mate, I had seen that painted rock at the trails end feature in some other videos but I didn't know which trail... now I know. I'll try and have at least '14' runs of it complete and uploaded to Strava by the time you arrive in November ;)

You are on the same side so there may be a back door for locals. Might be a bit of a climb but there may be some logging track up the back end of Mutual road. Exciting stuff !
Please know how hard it was for me to walk away from making a back door joke at this point, I had to walk barefoot on a rug and make fists with my toes </johnmclane> But I suspect there has to be a way through, depending on which map provider I use I can see varying seasons for the area, and when the tree canopy looks a bit thin there's definitely some trail-looking paths through. And if there's not, I'm a resourceful kind of guy.

jrewing

Eats Squid

Hell yes man, are you loving it in TAS? I'm into a mixed bag of riding, it was trials and dirtjumps as a young padawan, then been hitting mostly enduro style trails for the last few years. Love the tech, love jumping but I'm no trick wizard, mostly just fast flowing lines. Maybe my fave full-sender trails are Trebuchet at Stromlo and Sidewinder & Ricochet at Thredbo, I love those trails. What kind of riding are you into?
yep love it down here.

Yeah man sure do. Great move.
i did sooo many runs of air-ya-garn when I first arrived. Still my favourite at Derby.
But people don’t like giving up their trails easily.
Took me freshening up some abandoned tracks to seemingly get the locals respect haha!
Need to get down to Maydena as well as you’ll appreciate the steepness there.
Anyways I ride less in winter, as I’m more on the moto then. Then I switch as it warms up.. btw you should get an moto as well. Trails galore for that.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
yep love it down here.
Stoked to hear it man, we've had quite a few friends jump the ditch to call Tas home... and they're all saying the same. They love it.

Yeah man sure do. Great move.
i did sooo many runs of air-ya-garn when I first arrived. Still my favourite at Derby.
But people don’t like giving up their trails easily.
Took me freshening up some abandoned tracks to seemingly get the locals respect haha!
Need to get down to Maydena as well as you’ll appreciate the steepness there.
Anyways I ride less in winter, as I’m more on the moto then. Then I switch as it warms up.. btw you should get an moto as well. Trails galore for that.
Thanks man, and yeah I hear ya... it was a similar situation when we moved here to Wollongong but a few trail cleans and dig days opened the doors a little and then a few beers sealed the deal. I'm keen to get amongst and do a similar thing when get to Tas ...plus we figure most people down there are pretty new, the people we met when we were in town had all relocated pretty recent so fingers crossed for full assimilation haha!
Good to know re the moto trails also, I'm a bandit for a fast windy road but have just sold my litre sports bike for the move, will absolutely be picking up some kind of dirt bike when funds and time permit... but first it'll be a new DH bike ;)