Rider etiquette sticky?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think the give way going down is the only practical way on a 2 way trail (assuming the ebikes arent part of the discussion).
E-bike or natural bike doesn't matter a fig. Legal E-bikes are limited to 25km/h assistance, and only apply power when you're pedalling. Outside those parameters they're no different to any other bike, except the weight is more like an old-school DH bike....

The kind of fuck-knuckles who ride illegal e-bikes are the kind of fuck-knuckles who wouldn't know trail etiquette - or how to spell it - if you hit them with a dictionary.

LPG

likes thicc birds
E-bike or natural bike doesn't matter a fig. Legal E-bikes are limited to 25km/h assistance, and only apply power when you're pedalling. Outside those parameters they're no different to any other bike, except the weight is more like an old-school DH bike....

The kind of fuck-knuckles who ride illegal e-bikes are the kind of fuck-knuckles who wouldn't know trail etiquette - or how to spell it - if you hit them with a dictionary.
Having someone coming up a track at 25km/hr when someone coming downhill could be too much speed to reliably allow the downhill rider time to give way. Not a common issue at the moment but it could become one. 25km/hr is very quick on many singletrack trails.

we all know 29 aint good for nowt

just to be clear, I admire those that send, but when trail builders cross the down of an enduro track with the up of the xc track I question the foresight, when the crosses are blindish I don't believe I am wearing the safety salamander suit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
just to be clear, I admire those that send
Thanks ;) put that salamander suit on, do a little dance on the gap, I'll jump over, we will make a "sick edit", lots of slow mo for Dozer.

when trail builders cross the down of an enduro track with the up of the xc track I question the foresight, when the crosses are blindish I don't believe I am wearing the safety salamander suit.
I do agree. Trails that cross like that are a hazard and are poorly considered. I've even felt some sections of the dh and xc trail are simply too close at Ourimbah. Near the bottom as you charge into the last fast section of jumps and the xc trail winds up along side...fark me I've had a few scares thinking someone was chugging towards me.

stirk

Burner
Thanks ;) put that salamander suit on, do a little dance on the gap, I'll jump over, we will make a "sick edit", lots of slow mo for Dozer.

I do agree. Trails that cross like that are a hazard and are poorly considered. I've even felt some sections of the dh and xc trail are simply too close at Ourimbah. Near the bottom as you charge into the last fast section of jumps and the xc trail winds up along side...fark me I've had a few scares thinking someone was chugging towards me.
It's a bit hard to brake when airborne!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's a bit hard to brake when airborne!
No it's not. I regularly jam the back brake on when throwing out a phat whip. The sudden silence of the rear hub puts a nice exclamation point on how phat it is and it also helps to drop the back end down and make the whip a little more stylised.

I dunno what to do with walkers on the fire trails and shared paths I ride anymore.

Yell out "Scuse me" or "On your right" and it scares them - especially if they are talking to whoever. And then they yell at you to use a bell.

I do actually have a bell (ride to the trail on road, and it's the law). I've used the bell, and f me if the guy didn't just stop dead in the middle of the track and start rooting in his pockets for his mobile phone. I end up emergency detouring into the bushes to avoid him.

Nearly all of the people out exercising have their earbuds in and music up. I don't think they could hear anything but a bloody train horn...

I'm trying to do the right thing but.....

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I was driving to work last Friday and the road runs parallel to a railway line for a few hundred metres and then there's a railway crossing for an intersecting road. Approaching train snuck up alongside me blew his horn as he approached the crossing and I nearly shat myself...

People need to be more mindful of their personal safety. You can'g go out running or walking a dog on shared trails with your earbuds in, and then get the shits with a rider because you didn't hear them coming.

It's like this numpty wanting to make the streets in Brisbane safer for pedestrians by stifling traffic, instead of encouraging pedestrians to stop being phone-staring, music-blaring fuckwits that cross whenever and wherever they feel like and then blame drivers for hitting them.

Bring back Hector I say...
Maybe he could do an mtb etiquette ditty? Any takers for some lyrics?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It's like this numpty wanting to make the streets in Brisbane safer for pedestrians by stifling traffic, instead of encouraging pedestrians to stop being phone-staring, music-blaring fuckwits that cross whenever and wherever they feel like and then blame drivers for hitting them.
It is sad seeing the Nissan X-trail commercial pimping the pedestrian camera auto braking safety thing as a feature. You would think that people could actually be aware of where they are walking and possibly look forward instead of being glued to stupid social media on their fondle phones.

It is part of the de-evolution of humankind or a subtle effort in trying to improve the gene pool by removing those who don't know where the hell they are.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a good one a few weekends ago. Walker with headphones in, walking a dog that was unrestrained, on singletrack. As I approached a did the usual buzz of the freehub and a quick "rider back" but they obviously couldn't hear over the music. As I got closer the walker jumped down onto his chest and started doing pushups, right there on the trail. I blew past him to his right by about 2m and scared the shit outta him I'm guessing lol. Luckily it was fairly open in that area and I could go around.

Have also been chased by some pretty mean looking dogs on those trails as people see it as a good spot to drive their cars to these trails and let their pitbulls and what not out thinking no one's ever about.

Even had a homeless gang set up camp on these trails a few years ago. Lasted about a month before they where forced to move on.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
steve jobs' pancreas said:
when trail builders cross the down of an enduro track with the up of the xc track I question the foresight, when the crosses are blindish I don't believe I am wearing the safety salamander suit.

At 1.45 this is the equivalent in the surfing world ...