Replacing head unit in 2009 Xtrail

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
So, the head-unit in my '09 X-Trail (Ti), other than being a bit average to begin with, has now decided that the '4' button isn't necessary. It's a bit of a pest and I feel like an upgrade anyway, mostly because I want bluetooth & built in hands free.

It's a double DIN unit in there currently. I do have an old Kenwood-U549BT sitting around but it's only a single, and well, a big hole in the dash just wouldn't do. So with that in mind:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 'filler' sections for the dash to install the single DIN unit?
OR
Can anyone recommend a decent double DIN unit with BT & hands-free capability?

I'm looking for cheap to middle range really, i'm not made of money and I prefer to spend it on bikes if I'm honest.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Just head to Autobarn or whatever car accessories dealer is near by, they'll have everything you need. If youre after a "cheap" head unit, don't be too fussed by brands, they're all pretty much the same, just stick to a known brand.
If you buy a head unit and have it installed, they'll likely just give you a blank cover for the unused din slot if you give them a sexy smile.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
you can pick up bluetooth units for pretty cheap now days. i fitted a JVC one to my fiancee's car recently, cost under $150. it's also CD-less so it's a compact little unit, makes cramming in all the wire super simple.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What Ajay said. You can get a single din pocket from autobahn etc. can also pickup integrated patch harnesses that make life a lot easier.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Supercheap auto has the lot...Dash pockets, wiring harness for X-trial and new units if needed..
did my X-trail about 2 years ago

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Supercheap auto has the lot...Dash pockets, wiring harness for X-trial and new units if needed..
did my X-trail about 2 years ago
Top stuff, thanks everyone. I think I'll take a quick trip down to Supercheap to see if I can get the filler & harness to use the single one I've already got.

Next step, do it while the Mrs is away so I don't get bollocked when something doesn't work first try.

stoo

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend a decent double DIN unit with BT & hands-free capability?

I'm looking for cheap to middle range really, i'm not made of money and I prefer to spend it on bikes if I'm honest.
I bought a Kenwood DPX-U5130BT double DIN jobby for $199, so happy with it that I bought one of the other car as well. Such a good jigger for a couple of hundred dollars!

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Your car is a vagina?
Are you driving a Tida?

:spit:

You might be able to get a newer xtrail one that'll fit straight in. Worth trying on gumtree. I'm sure the modern ones come with Bluetooth as standard anyway