Removing XD end caps

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been trying to remove an XD hub but the end caps have me stymied. On my DT hubs they pull straight off. A friend loaned me some Syncross (scott) wheels to try and I want to swap free hubs. These don't seem to screw off. Dr Google couldn't tell me much. Anyone had experience with these. The drive side cap says loosen pointing clockwise but no clues on how to keep whole thing from spinning. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
The drive side cap looks a bit mangled.
Appropriate sized cone wrench on drive side and possibly a big Allen key for the non drive side.

Got any photos down the barrel of the end caps?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good point. Could be something under that cap to allow the drive side to unscrew.
You, and bear, are both correct. NDS cap pulled off with help of the vice. Under NDS cap axle has 2 holes to put a thingy in to hold axle while DS is unscrewed.

Unfortunately, I do not have a free hub that will fit so will await the arrival of the ZTTO 9-42. These are 27.5 wheels with 2.8 inch tires I am going to try out on my Chameleon. May put an Eagle cassette on and use low limit screw to keep away from giant granny. A bit dirty so I have cleaned it up and reassembled.
Thanks for all the suggestions!