Removing 2009 (or earlier?) RaceFace Evolve DH cranks - help needed!

moorey

call me Mia
I bought an old frame with cranks on, same style as these. My crank puller was wrong size, so I knocked the crank off from the inside with a hammer and a block of hardwood. Agricultural, but did the job.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've used these cranks a few times. Much like Moore's suggestion, but the other way...you can loosen them up by punching the drive side from the end of the axle.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Pulled out the shovel for this grave dig.

The faith has these cranks and percussive maintenance has proved unsuccessful.

Is there a more modern approach to removal or is the above, larger crank removal tool still available?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Pulled out the shovel for this grave dig.

The faith has these cranks and percussive maintenance has proved unsuccessful.

Is there a more modern approach to removal or is the above, larger crank removal tool still available?
Most crank pullers these days have ISIS plug and square taper without the plug. This one below is possibly a plug even though description says for ISIS/Octalink it appears to be removing a square taper in the pic.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

nathanm

Eats Squid
So "square taper" has the bigger thread than most cranks. Both my pullers seem to be at least 50% too small for the job, I can relate

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So "square taper" has the bigger thread than most cranks. Both my pullers seem to be at least 50% too small for the job, I can relate
Square taper BB has a smaller thread on the BB, and smaller size of plug/end on the tool, ISIS is the big one with bigger thread and star shaped spindle. You have square taper, if you can find something like a 5c piece but the right size and thicker (I've bent 5c pieces doing this) the square taper tool might work but also putting something in there might not leave enough bite for the tool to screw into the crank (have encountered that also).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Square taper BB has a smaller thread on the BB, and smaller size of plug/end on the tool, ISIS is the big one with bigger thread and star shaped spindle. You have square taper, if you can find something like a 5c piece but the right size and thicker (I've bent 5c pieces doing this) the square taper tool might work but also putting something in there might not leave enough bite for the tool to screw into the crank (have encountered that also).
Mine has a magnetic cup that can be removed depending on which crank.

nathanm

Eats Squid
No it's not square taper. It's some random rf sizing where the od of the thread is much larger than every other crank so the puller tool quite literally cannot thread onto anything.