Reducing bike weight v's body weight

Jbsp1

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know what the comparison is between reducing bike weight to body weight? If I was to drop 2kgs off my bike weight, taking it to around 10kg, is that far better than losing 5kg from body weight. Is the cost of dropping bike weight beneficial in reference to keeping body weight gaining muscle/power?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm no scientist but I'd say that dropping 5kg of bodyweight would improve performance more than a 2kg reduction of bike weight.

Especially if that can be achieved without significant loss of power. Unless you're a track sprinter too much muscle is a disadvantage.

Cheers, J

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I imagine losing 5kg of body weight is cheaper (and more beneficial) to lose then dropping 2kg in bike weight.......if you ride your bike enough the body weight will fall off :)

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
It's as good as gram for gram. Lose the body weight until healthy minimum. But no reason why you should deliberately ride a heavier bike until you do. There are other advantages of the top of the line or next few under than just the weight.

Keep it real - buy what you want, just don't be deluded or kid yourself.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm recalling this from a few months ago, but 5kg is considered a significant handicap for prime racehorses. Thoroughbreds are hundreds of kg's of muscle and sinew. Imagine what 5kg contributes to an 80kg, 5"10 male?

Lose the bodyweight, before the bike weight. It will be quicker, cheaper, you'll drop more total weight and subsequently you'll go much faster.

adaib

Likes Dirt
If you drop 2 kg from your wheels it would make a huge difference to dropping it from your belly.
Rotating weight. It would allow you to accelerate faster

David56543

Likes Bikes
Seal the frame and fill it with helium......same with the tyres.
you wont save anything past a few grams lol. research on how much helium lifts and see how much is required to make the bike lighter.

you wont even notice any differences at all with helium.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you drop 2 kg from your wheels it would make a huge difference to dropping it from your belly.
Rotating weight. It would allow you to accelerate faster
I might disagree there. If one is carrying 2 kgs of fat around the belly I'd assume they're very much out of shape. A 2kg loss of fat would imply significantly increased fitness, and therefore much stronger performance on the bike.

A heavy wheelset for XC would weigh 1.8kg and the lightest available wheelset is around 1.2kg, so best case scenario is that it would drop a maximum .6 of a kilo. I agree that would make accelerating and changing direction easier, but once you're up and running rotating mass is less important.

Get lean and stay strong, that will make the biggest improvement.

Cheers, J

willsy01

Eats Squid
you wont save anything past a few grams lol. research on how much helium lifts and see how much is required to make the bike lighter.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to point out the jovial nature of my post.....

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt

:clap2:

On a more serious note though, as mentioned earlier, when you do decide that you want to buy something lighter for your bike, the wheelset is the first place to upgrade.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
:clap2:

On a more serious note though, as mentioned earlier, when you do decide that you want to buy something lighter for your bike, the wheelset is the first place to upgrade.
Or on a budget.....

Tyres/tubes/tubeless

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
go each way

I'm recalling this from a few months ago, but 5kg is considered a significant handicap for prime racehorses. Thoroughbreds are hundreds of kg's of muscle and sinew. Imagine what 5kg contributes to an 80kg, 5"10 male?

Lose the bodyweight, before the bike weight. It will be quicker, cheaper, you'll drop more total weight and subsequently you'll go much faster.
yeah ill agree with that. Except the quicker part. Quicker to buy light parts, unless you're under 20 yo and can shed weight quickly but no employer recognises you for your enthusiasm...

I lost some weight and rewarded myself with UST. Though it wouldnt hurt my future weight loss to carry the extra weight. I reckon the weight I lost was more noticeable on the bike than lighter wheels even tho lighter wheels was instant and weight loss is gradual

petertronica

Likes Dirt
kinda relevant...."scientific" article comparing commuting on a light bike vs a heavy bike.

View attachment Groves_cycling_2011.pdf

'Conclusions
A 30% reduction in bicycle weight did not
reduce commuting time over a distance of 27
miles (43.5 km). A new lightweight bicycle may
have many attractions, but if the bicycle is used
to commute, a reduction in the weight of the
cyclist rather than that of the bicycle may deliver
greater benefit and at reduced cost.'

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
helium vs partial vac

Lighter still would be a complete vacuum. Ride comfort suffers using this technique in wheels. Also strength of frame tubing significantly reduced. Partial vacuum good compromise.

sean_23

Likes Bikes
Lighter still would be a complete vacuum. Ride comfort suffers using this technique in wheels. Also strength of frame tubing significantly reduced. Partial vacuum good compromise.
That's just silly.

You can use complete vacuum in your frame, but you should use hydrogen in your tyres, it's half the weight of helium so there's a big performance increase.

No naked flames!