Red Hill; Legal trails

Jpez

Down on the left!
New trail Gunnbarrel is open. Proper DH trail!
it’s beautifully crafted and bedded in.
Very good move keeping the masses off it for so long. I would do at least one sighting run first. especially if it’s wet. There’s a few off camber sections that need a LOT of respect and commitment.
Happy to report very few roots like Crusher has too or the steep UP and downs. It’s just down.
If you like steep, jank, step ups, lovely jumps and high speed you’ll love this. Has a bit of everything really.
There is a lot of Eatons in this trail but it’s a lot more predictable and user friendly. Jumps are the kind where it’s not commitment or death but watching some of the cool kids you can boost to the moon if you’re able. I could tell those guys had been riding it for some time. Plus they had party shirts and mustachios so I new they were slick. Haha.
It starts off with a non b line gap straight off the start ramp. Then goes into the old Rocksalt jank which has been made jankier. Many lines to choose from but speed is your fiend. And then get gets steep. All the way to the bottom where the gate is.
New favourite trail.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
New trail Gunnbarrel is open. Proper DH trail!
it’s beautifully crafted and bedded in.
Very good move keeping the masses off it for so long. I would do at least one sighting run first. especially if it’s wet. There’s a few off camber sections that need a LOT of respect and commitment.
Happy to report very few roots like Crusher has too or the steep UP and downs. It’s just down.
If you like steep, jank, step ups, lovely jumps and high speed you’ll love this. Has a bit of everything really.
There is a lot of Eatons in this trail but it’s a lot more predictable and user friendly. Jumps are the kind where it’s not commitment or death but watching some of the cool kids you can boost to the moon if you’re able. I could tell those guys had been riding it for some time. Plus they had party shirts and mustachios so I new they were slick. Haha.
It starts off with a non b line gap straight off the start ramp. Then goes into the old Rocksalt jank which has been made jankier. Many lines to choose from but speed is your fiend. And then get gets steep. All the way to the bottom where the gate is.
New favourite trail.
Rode it on Monday and agree with all this. Loved it.

Definitely needs a sighting run and full commitment to the steep, tight, janky sections but often (not always) there are good catch berms to sort you out after the jank.

I agree there is something of an ‘Eatons’ feel to sections of it and wondered if they got some of the excellent builders from there to lend a hand???

Anyway, heading back tomorrow for more fun!

yuley95

Smashed out a couple laps today and I reckon Gun Barrel is running about as mint as it ever will. A little moisture in the dust meant the top sandy section was not like talcum powder sprinkled over rocks so the off cambers were fast and direct. The moisture in the lower section created more grip than I’ve ever had at Red Hill.

With all that confidence I hit all the A-lines and cleared the step up and all doubles… except one :(

Would have liked to do a third lap to get it clean but the climb is such a mother fucker…

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
How family friendly are the trails here? I'll be in Hastings and plan on dragging some bikes along. Was thinking of heading over to red hill.

Missus and the 10y/o more suited to greens and easier blues, they struggle with steep trails (we live in Bendigo and have no steep stuff really)

Is boundary Rd car park a good option?

If it's all a bit too much the girls will head somewhere else and I'll head there with the boys, whats the first timers guide to Red Hill? Still Boundary Rd Car park and explore?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
How family friendly are the trails here? I'll be in Hastings and plan on dragging some bikes along. Was thinking of heading over to red hill.

Missus and the 10y/o more suited to greens and easier blues, they struggle with steep trails (we live in Bendigo and have no steep stuff really)

If it's all a bit too much the girls will head somewhere else and I'll head there with the boys, whats the first timers guide to Red Hill? Still Boundary Rd Car park and explore?
Boundary Rd carpark is at the bottom of the hill, and everything is uphill to the south carpark on Arthur's seat Rd.
So any tracks that run east to west will be a bit undulating, north and south will be grind up and drop down.
I wouldn't say they are steep, but as it's all on the side of a hill there's a bit of elevation.

teK--

Eats Squid

Yeah Boundary Rd carpark best. then when you finish it's easy to grab a bite to eat.

There are several green and blue trails which start or finish from there

yuley95

Hmmm, I’m gonna say they might be a bit steep if you’re looking for greens and easier blues. From boundary road, it’s a good grind up to get to a trailhead.

I would suggest starting at Arthur’s Seat road and riding the Wonga trail. It’s easy, flowy and two way so once you cruise down it, you could cruise back up and session with the whole family or you could sample something a little more spicy but still easy enough like rock salt - its a really fun trail and definite step up from Wonga if that’s what people are looking for

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah, unless you just do laps of Wonga and the roadside stuff though you probably end up having to climb the Pines at least once. Slippery Gypsy/Wombat/East Link/High Roller is another beginner friendly loop with the exception of a bit of a steep climb back up the last bit of the fire road.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Had a bit of a spin - totally stuffed up the first session by missing the trail from the bottom and going up the worlds steepest fire trail instead of Eastlink then did the start of Wombat (She hated this) into High Roller which would have been fine but by this time the missus had cracked the shits, small yelling session and then headed up to the the top carpark (In the car) to do some laps of Wonga, which was much betterer for her, but still had some residual shittyness that put a dampener on the whole thing. I managed to also get a full run on Wombat, the Pine Climb (Thanks <insert deity> I didn't take her on this climb) and a run of Rock Salt (First half was good, will skip the second half if I was to do it again). The Rooster did a run on Pins and Needles and Gun Barrel, he went in blind in a half lid and no pads, said he brown trousered himself a few time, walked one section of Gun Barrel. I had to stick with the 2nd youngest tho (Thats my story and I'm sticking to it) but would be keen to have another run at it, I'd be wearing FF and pads tho :D Great MTB park and awesome to see so many MTB people at the bottom carpark and heaps of kids

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gunn Barrel without a full face and pads would take some confident riding.

And there's no easy way about it, the climbing at Redhill is painful unless you're on an ebike or like that sort of thing.

And Pins would have been great fun, just watch it in the wet as the sniper roots will have a crack at your front wheel.

Well done on having a crack at it blind. Book shuttles next time perhaps?

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
He's 16 so yeah :)

I usually get the missus to do a couple of shuttles, but I I screwed the pooch getting her offside early.

Worth the climb tho - will defiantly do again, but will endeavor to take the right fire road and mix it up with the Pines Climb (And maybe get a couple of sneaky shuttles in with FF and pads).

teK--

Eats Squid
Had a bit of a spin - totally stuffed up the first session by missing the trail from the bottom and going up the worlds steepest fire trail instead of Eastlink then did the start of Wombat (She hated this) into High Roller which would have been fine but by this time the missus had cracked the shits, small yelling session and then headed up to the the top carpark (In the car) to do some laps of Wonga, which was much betterer for her, but still had some residual shittyness that put a dampener on the whole thing. I managed to also get a full run on Wombat, the Pine Climb (Thanks <insert deity> I didn't take her on this climb) and a run of Rock Salt (First half was good, will skip the second half if I was to do it again). The Rooster did a run on Pins and Needles and Gun Barrel, he went in blind in a half lid and no pads, said he brown trousered himself a few time, walked one section of Gun Barrel. I had to stick with the 2nd youngest tho (Thats my story and I'm sticking to it) but would be keen to have another run at it, I'd be wearing FF and pads tho :D Great MTB park and awesome to see so many MTB people at the bottom carpark and heaps of kids
in summary. you had a good day but the missus is shitty so leave her at home next time :p

teK--

Eats Squid

And there's no easy way about it, the climbing at Redhill is painful unless you're on an ebike or like that sort of thing.

And Pins would have been great fun, just watch it in the wet as the sniper roots will have a crack at your front wheel.

Well done on having a crack at it blind. Book shuttles next time perhaps?
Funny you mention that.

I always think of riders like remi metallier he rides the gharliest shit ever and only wears an open face and no gloves.

There has been maybe one video I have seen where he puts on a full face and you know it's getting serious then.

Some of what he rides I wouldn't even go down if you wrapped me in a Zorb ball.