Recommendations on crankset upgrade

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Just wondering what recommendations for an upgraded crankset would be. Right now I am running a threaded 30 BB and am running Sammox cranks non-boost that are actually quite nice and sturdy but also a bit chonky. I've changed the cassette to different gearing and want to downsize the current 104bcd 36t chainring to a 32 or 34 - but buying a new chainring is like $50-100 anyways, so I started thinking about upgrading the cranks at the same time, mainly because I am bored and can't really ride anywhere out of 10km anyways, so what else is there to do but upgrade shit. Looks like GX cranks are only $150-200 bucks and come with a nicer looking non-bolt style chainring, so this is how I would justify it to myself haha I am just not sure if I'd also have to change the BB too (I believe I would because DUB is different from a normal 30BB right?) Not too sure about carbon but are there any other options/brands that would work for me? Budget is max $300 or so. Cheers for any advice!

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
With that information, I'd probably buy this:

Will need a 24mm Shimano bottom bracket and then you're sorted.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm a defender of carbon in most aspects, but for cranks, just no. Regardless of brand, sooner or later the aluminium thread blocks for the pedals are likely to delaminate and go wobbly, meaning a fucked crank.

If you stay with a crank that has a 30mm diamater spindle of the correct length, it'll go straight in; anything else will need a new bottom bracket to suit.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
RF Turbines are great cranks imo. Pretty lightweight (I think), can take a beating and offer great feel.

Hmmm just checked pricing and a set would be nudging right into the upper end of your budget - you might be able to find some secondhand though?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
RF Turbines are great cranks imo. Pretty lightweight (I think), can take a beating and offer great feel.

Hmmm just checked pricing and a set would be nudging right into the upper end of your budget - you might be able to find some secondhand though?
I think I remember @moorey having reservations about them?

moorey

call me Mia
The cranks are fine. In fact they are really good. It’s the 30mm bearings that upsets his apple cart.
24mm has been flawless, and nice big bearings is my main reason for a preference. My Cinch set came with used Hope bb that’s pretty flogged, and couldn’t be arsed replacing, so the Cranks sit idle for now.

Jpez

Down on the left!
24mm has been flawless, and nice big bearings is my main reason for a preference. My Cinch set came with used Hope bb that’s pretty flogged, and couldn’t be arsed replacing, so the Cranks sit idle for now.
I’ve gone through a couple of RF bottom brackets which are complete junk.
So bit the bullet and spent big on a CC Hellbender bb so hopefully this one lasts as long as it should. I think the key is quality bearings. Other than than that my Turbines have been flawless.

moorey

call me Mia
So far my experience with the Aeffect R has been good, no hassles to speak of. Of course that could all change when I go for a ride in 2023.
I have a general dislike for RF gear. Most of their higher end gear is ok. A chunk of their lower end stuff is rebranded generic components at 2x the price.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I have a general dislike for RF gear. Most of their higher end gear is ok. A chunk of their lower end stuff is rebranded generic components at 2x the price.
And which generic crankset is the Aeffect R a rebrand of out of interest?