Recommend me some cranks

Jpez

Down on the left!
So, put the order in for eeWings yet?
For all the Shitmano recommendations you know we’ll all be incredibly disappointed in you if you don’t.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't rationalise buying a Rascal and eeWings
Found some Mt900's on AliExpress but the weight saving is fuck all, I just need to get over not having matching XTR on the bike and put some XT cranks on there. I buffed the 'Deore' of my 4 spot calipers, maybe I can just make the XT cranks into non series cranks.
The bigger issue is who is going to buy my Optic frame, I could keep it for the young bloke but he's still in the bad books after fucking the rear mech on it a couple of weeks ago.

moorey

call me Mia
I can't rationalise buying a Rascal and eeWings
Found some Mt900's on AliExpress but the weight saving is fuck all, I just need to get over not having matching XTR on the bike and put some XT cranks on there. I buffed the 'Deore' of my 4 spot calipers, maybe I can just make the XT cranks into non series cranks.
The bigger issue is who is going to buy my Optic frame, I could keep it for the young bloke but he's still in the bad books after fucking the rear mech on it a couple of weeks ago.
Check AliExpress specs VERY closely. I almost bought hope hubs off there for $50 cheaper than elsewhere....but noticed in the very fine print they were not genuine.

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
MT900 is XTR that didn't get the proper surface finish because that part of the factory burnt down. Structurally it is the same thing.

Carbon cranks are a fundamentally flawed design. I love the stuff, but there are some applications where it's just not the right stuff.
Are you sure? I thought the MT900 still had the old pre-load mechanism and were a hybrid (new colour, direct mount, old pre-load) as you mentioned due to the plant fire?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the MT900 still had the old pre-load mechanism
They do (edit: currently have them on the Marino, definitely not new preload), though still direct mount chainring. Also have a slightly wider Q factor.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Are you sure? I thought the MT900 still had the old pre-load mechanism and were a hybrid (new colour, direct mount, old pre-load) as you mentioned due to the plant fire?
Pretty sure I read from Shimano that MT900 and M9100 are the same crank, just that as a result of the fire they weren't able to produce the intended finish for a while, hence the non-series designation.

moorey

call me Mia
They aren't really cheap any more, they were $300 with the chain ring. Same price at Pushys or Bike Bug. I could have got them from Merlin a bit cheaper but with the current shipping issues from UK it's not worth waiting.

I'm trying to resist, you are not helping.
You’re welcome. Did I mention that Felix worships the Rail?

Merlin seems particularly slow at the moment. Wiggle Uk purchases were here in 2 weeks, but 5 weeks and counting for Merlin :(