Recommend me some cranks

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Took about 2 and a half weeks for the "5-6 day Express" shipping I opted for a few weeks back. Better than I expected TBH...

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You’re welcome. Did I mention that Felix worships the Rail?
Have you been allowed to take it for a run? Does it live up to the hype? Obviously the suspension won't be as advanced as an Orange, but do you think it's really any better than most other systems?
I find it very difficult to separate facts from marketing bullshit, brand loyalty and paid endorsements these days

moorey

call me Mia
I haven’t ridden it in anger yet, hoping to at some stage soon. Felix is very attuned to his bikes and his set up.... far more than me, even at 15yo. While it hasn’t been raced yet, he’s done a chunk of k’s in the last 10 days and has nothing but praise for the way it both climbs and descends. He particularly notes hair well it handles square edge hits, and how it flows over Rock Gardens without getting bogged down.
This is more of a comparison to his previous Process and my Transition (that I personally adore). Hoping to get a soon to see for myself.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just following up on this, the XT cranks arrived yesterday and I compared them to the weight of the E-13 carbon cranks. XT cranks in 170mm with a 30T chain ring are 632g the E-13 with 32T at 170mm are 449g.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Anyone have an opinion on the two 24mm spindle options below. My now 3 year old RF Aeffects have developed play despite the crank bolt being beyond tight (might need to go to fuckwits thread to ask how to get them off). Running 11 speed still.

Race Face Aeffect R - great reviews apparently an improvement on original, cinch is easy

Shimano - either SLX or XT - whatever i can find likely on buy & sell,

RF is winning the battle at the moment as reasonable price and available at Pushys plus i have the current cinch chainring plus a spare. Shimano though always in the mix as just works. What i dont like about the 11 speed is that it's pre the shimano direct mount rings so back to rotor bolts. Not a big deal but not as easy. But in the end really same same.

Cheers

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Anyone have an opinion on the two 24mm spindle options below. My now 3 year old RF Aeffects have developed play despite the crank bolt being beyond tight (might need to go to fuckwits thread to ask how to get them off). Running 11 speed still.

Race Face Aeffect R - great reviews apparently an improvement on original, cinch is easy

Shimano - either SLX or XT - whatever i can find likely on buy & sell,

RF is winning the battle at the moment as reasonable price and available at Pushys plus i have the current cinch chainring plus a spare. Shimano though always in the mix as just works. What i dont like about the 11 speed is that it's pre the shimano direct mount rings so back to rotor bolts. Not a big deal but not as easy. But in the end really same same.

Cheers
My Aeffect Rs fit very easily, no hassle at all!

On the Ragley owners FB group there's reports of Deore cranks loosening off.

Also RF have supposedly changed the Aeffect R so there's no excess material at the end of the crank arm. They used to keep the same forgings for all crank lengths and just drill the pedal hole to suit.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
My Aeffect Rs fit very easily, no hassle at all!

On the Ragley owners FB group there's reports of Deore cranks loosening off.

Also RF have supposedly changed the Aeffect R so there's no excess material at the end of the crank arm. They used to keep the same forgings for all crank lengths and just drill the pedal hole to suit.
I'll be running either 170 or 175 so the excess at the end of the crank arm not likely an issue for me but a good to know.

With respect to Shimano cranks loosening off it's probably a few from thousands and thousands....

Any sign of wear on your Aeffect R's from a spindle? My current Aeffects for the first while kept coming loose which is why i think now they have play in them, i think before I covered the bolt in loctite i did just enough damage to cause them to wear quicker than the should of. I know with Shimano's system with the two pinch bolts it's pretty simple and doesnt require the torque that my curretn Aeffect cranks needed.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Any sign of wear on your Aeffect R's from a spindle? My current Aeffects for the first while kept coming loose which is why i think now they have play in them, i think before I covered the bolt in Loctite i did just enough damage to cause them to wear quicker than the should of. I know with Shimano's system with the two pinch bolts it's pretty simple and doesn't require the torque that my current Aeffect cranks needed.
I've literally just fit them, I don't even have a chainring yet!