Recommend me a pedal thats better than a Vault

sbm

Likes Bikes
Since this thread started, I had to re-tighten my Nukeproof Horizon composites on my BMX a couple more times, even with generous loctite, eventually I cleaned the loctite off and glued the end caps in with freaking epoxy. Take that pedals.

The composite Nukeproof Electrons I have on my around-town bike, the endcaps do stay in, but the crappy rubber seals on the spindle side come loose instead and ride up the spindle, doing a great job of keeping the spindle spotlessly clean but a terrible job at keeping stuff out of the pedal.

I mean I don't doubt most people have good runs with them, but there just seems to be better options. Vaults and other DNN pedals obviously but I think I will look at OneUps for the next composite pedals I buy.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
So bringing this back up....

Looking at my current v12s and my shoes it appears I never use the two pins closest to the crank arm... but rather just the outside pins and my foot has a good cm or so that hangs over the outside of pedal as a I ride.

So width seems more important than length in next decision... and the idea of a bearing at the crank (although a shuttle nightmare) won't likely have any impact on my foot position.

I'm size 12 foot... to be considered.

People still feeling the Vaults v2 are best??

I'm pretty sure I want to stick to concave which is reason I'm avoiding OneUp...but I have no reason for this other than I'm a peanut and always had DMRs.

Kona Wah Wah 2 is hard to find and Aus dealers are adding a 30% exchange rate surcharge it seems.... (oneup 50usd = $80aud, Kona 60usd = $130aud... work that one out)

Unite Instinct?
Uber Components Flatout?
Crank Bros Stamp?

A lot already discussed above but I'm bored in ISO so thought people might feel like writing.
I’ve had Vaults, V12s and the one up composites. I’d rank them in that order. The one ups have thinner pins as standard, which I felt didn’t provide as good grip as DMRs. The upside it’s easier to move your foot on the pedal, if you like that kind of thing.

V12 have been great but vault definitely superior. The difference was noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
have just bought some Vaults after reading this thread and seeing all the positive reviews. Keen to give flats a go after starting on clipless.
Just gotta find some decent shoes to pair them with...

teK--

Eats Squid
So bringing this back up....

Looking at my current v12s and my shoes it appears I never use the two pins closest to the crank arm... but rather just the outside pins and my foot has a good cm or so that hangs over the outside of pedal as a I ride.

So width seems more important than length in next decision... and the idea of a bearing at the crank (although a shuttle nightmare) won't likely have any impact on my foot position.

I'm size 12 foot... to be considered.

People still feeling the Vaults v2 are best??

I'm pretty sure I want to stick to concave which is reason I'm avoiding OneUp...but I have no reason for this other than I'm a peanut and always had DMRs.

Kona Wah Wah 2 is hard to find and Aus dealers are adding a 30% exchange rate surcharge it seems.... (oneup 50usd = $80aud, Kona 60usd = $130aud... work that one out)

Unite Instinct?
Uber Components Flatout?
Crank Bros Stamp?

A lot already discussed above but I'm bored in ISO so thought people might feel like writing.
Yeah with the Vaults I actually removed the 2 pins closest to the crank.

This increases the concavity and the weight is now spread across less pins = more pressure per pin.

Size 9 foot but my feet are wide.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt

This increases the concavity and the weight is now spread across less pins = more pressure per pin.

Ya the two pins near the crank arms are really just safe storage for replacement pins for me on my current V12s.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
have just bought some Vaults after reading this thread and seeing all the positive reviews. Keen to give flats a go after starting on clipless.
Just gotta find some decent shoes to pair them with...
You can run the DMR vaults with runners.
I've had vaults on a loaner bike and my mates just used runners with them. I would always gets comments like, those pedals are so grippy how is that even possible etc. Then they notice the tred on their runners is missing some bits.

moorey

call me Mia
You can run the DMR vaults with runners.
I've had vaults on a loaner bike and my mates just used runners with them. I would always gets comments like, those pedals are so grippy how is that even possible etc. Then they notice the tred on their runners is missing some bits.
It’s more than just grip though. You need a shoe work a stiff sole for best results, and not actually hurting your feet through the shoe. Nice soft sole, but stiff.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@sbm tell me more about this epoxy solution please? I have fantastic plastic on all my bikes and the bolt in question seems to always be loose. I'm reluctant to risk overtightening.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt

This sounds like a good idea, definitely trying that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbm

Likes Bikes
@sbm tell me more about this epoxy solution please? I have fantastic plastic on all my bikes and the bolt in question seems to always be loose. I'm reluctant to risk overtightening.
I just mixed up some 2 part araldite I had, smeared smeared a dab on the threads like you would with grease, and screwed it in.

There's a theory you can still undo it, by heating it up enough with a soldering iron on the head that the epoxy softens "like butter" and you could get the screw back out. Never done that though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just mixed up some 2 part araldite I had, smeared smeared a dab on the threads like you would with grease, and screwed it in.

There's a theory you can still undo it, by heating it up enough with a soldering iron on the head that the epoxy softens "like butter" and you could get the screw back out. Never done that though.
Cheers. Will have to see about getting some of this Araldite you speak of.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Since this thread started, I had to re-tighten my Nukeproof Horizon composites on my BMX a couple more times, even with generous loctite, eventually I cleaned the loctite off and glued the end caps in with freaking epoxy. Take that pedals.

The composite Nukeproof Electrons I have on my around-town bike, the endcaps do stay in, but the crappy rubber seals on the spindle side come loose instead and ride up the spindle, doing a great job of keeping the spindle spotlessly clean but a terrible job at keeping stuff out of the pedal.

I mean I don't doubt most people have good runs with them, but there just seems to be better options. Vaults and other DNN pedals obviously but I think I will look at OneUps for the next composite pedals I buy.
I snapped the end bolt on my nukeproof plastics and the pedal folded.

Reactions: sbm

jrewing

Eats Squid
Really like my mk5 burgtecs. Best pedal since my twenty6 ones.
Also the cheap wellgo pedals on the aurum i rented at thredbo are equal to those if not the best very surprisingly. I cant find them anywhere though. They pulled them out of the back of the mechanics shop when i cracked the originals.

moorey

call me Mia
Really like my mk5 burgtecs. Best pedal since my twenty6 ones.
Also the cheap wellgo pedals on the aurum i rented at thredbo are equal to those if not the best very surprisingly. I cant find them anywhere though. They pulled them out of the back of the mechanics shop when i cracked the originals.
I’ve just picked up some Burgtec mk4 composites. Yet to test, but really like the shape and pin placement.