Real world Fuel consumption

scblack

Leucocholic
OK guys, interested in your real-world fuel consumption. Just want to see what people are managing from their different cars.

Mine:
Volkswagen Amarok Highline MY2016 4cyl twin turbo diesel
Freeway about 8.0 l/100km
Urban (Sydney driving) about 8.0-10.0 l/100km
Towing 1,500kg camper trailer about 11.0-13.0 l/100km

It has:
Canopy
Standard HT tyres
Roof racks plus 2 bike racks
Awning

Chuck up your averages.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Holden (nee Isuzu) Rodeo, MY2005
6 cyl Petrol.
17lt per 100km at best.

Thank the lord himself that I don't pay for petrol. Over $100 to fill at the minute and that gets me 350 odd k's.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
MY2014 Colorado for us, minus the roof racks and awning.

The numbers are pretty much the same as an Amarok tho.

The first time we took it to Adelaide I was a bit dissapointed that it only returned the same numbers as the VY wagon we had before. Then I realised we were flogging a 2 and a 1/2 tonne house brick through the air and considered it pretty good.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Mazda bt-50 with big toolbox, 2.8L turbo diesel. 3.5T with all the tools

12L/100 around sydney, which is bloody impressive considering how much crap I have to kart around.

Drops to 10.8 on the freeways, the toolbox isn’t doing anyone any favours there.

We don’t talk about my 75 series cruiser........ it’s on lpg and thats as good as it gets hahaha

moorey

call me Mia
Navara D22 dual cab. Pretty stock, Bull bar and permanent bike rack.
Gauge doesn’t work, I fill it every 600km. Takes 65-67l to top it up.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 turbo 170bhp. averages 8.5 around town with short trips in winter, drops to 5.5-6 on the freeway.

Flogging the tits off it in the mountains sees 15 plus...

clockworked

Like an orange
My triton diesel does 8-10/100km max

My wrx gets between 8-14L of premium/100km... it is nice to drive though

Shredden

Knows his goats
Had a bog stock Gen4 Subaru Liberty Wagon, 3 litre flat six and a 6 speed manual. Got about 13l per 100 real world, but I didn't mind because it was so much fun. Once used nearly an (indicated) full tank of fuel driving the 200km round trip between Torquay > Apollo Bay > Torquay at 1am.

Then I had a 4.5l 6cyl Petrol LandCruiser 105 with 33's and barwork which was on LPG, which used about 24l per 100... That was fun. Went down to 18 on petrol. Still nothing to write home about haha.

Had to buy a 1998 CR-V and that sits on about 10.5l per 100. But its boring as fuck. Gonna get another fun car ASAP.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My 2 year old forester is running 8.0 average for its life. 2 trips to syd and two to the coast for context.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My Mazda MPS 2.3 turbo reports 9.2-9.5 premium/100km for sedate city driving with a bit of highway included.
It will drink like a sailor on shore leave if you push the loud pedal hard enough though.

The little Jimny is around 6l/100km and will automatically fill up on the fumes when passing petrol station.

stirk

Burner
Toyota 4Runner 1986
2.4L 4 cylinder diesel naturally aspirated
Roof racks
Larger AT tyres
Regardless of load or city driving or highway it chugs along at 10L/100km

Pretty happy with the consumption.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hilux SR5 MY2016 2.8 turbo diesel
Pure highway about 9.0 l/100km or a bit below
Urban (Brisbane driving) about 11.0 l/100km

It has:
Canopy (recent so not sure on impact)
Aggressive all terrains
Steel bar
Dual battery etc
Flat rack and awning are usually hanging from the rafters under the house where I park the car
Lift with some sweet shocks

Not doing as well as the Amarok obviously. I blame the damn DPF for the poor urban economy.

I loved the simplicity of my last car (FJ cruiser). Aerodynamics of a fridge, 4L V6 and all the off road kit that I don't need anymore with 2 kids. Got 14l/100k around town and no different on the highway ! Lucky it had a 190L tank.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Passat Alltrack TDI with AT tyres
7.2L/100
That’s with racks on too. Before the tyres and rack we used to get around 6.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
Hilux SR5 MY2016 2.8 turbo diesel
Pure highway about 9.0 l/100km or a bit below
Urban (Brisbane driving) about 11.0 l/100km
Not doing as well as the Amarok obviously. I blame the damn DPF for the poor urban economy.
Amarok has a DPF, pain in the arse to live with. Once it gets to three years and out of warranty - delete DPF and tune I reckon.

scblack

Leucocholic
I opened this thread as a mate with a V6 Amarok is getting 12.5 average for all driving. Yes 12.5 average including plenty of freeway driving. So 2.5-4.5l/100 worse than mine. Only real difference is he's on AT's and carrying 350kg of crap around.

He's getting up to 50% worse fuel economy than me. Sounds weird huh.

LPG

likes thicc birds
The 2006 Nissan Xtrail I bought recently is pretty consistently on 9.2 l/100km (thats around the illawarra mainly). Thats a manual with roofracks only. I'm happy with that as I heard bad things about their fuel economy.

The old 1996 ford laser 1.8L I an selling got 8.3ish l/100km (closer to 8.7-9 when I lived in sydney traffic).

stirk

Burner
I opened this thread as a mate with a V6 Amarok is getting 12.5 average for all driving. Yes 12.5 average including plenty of freeway driving. So 2.5-4.5l/100 worse than mine. Only real difference is he's on AT's and carrying 350kg of crap around.

He's getting up to 50% worse fuel economy than me. Sounds weird huh.
AT might make a tiny difference, right foot, weight, usual driving techniques make up the rest. Did he chip it?