AM Ragley MmmBop - The Hanson Brother From Another Mother

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
[video=youtube;NHozn0YXAeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE[/video]

Completed build.
More images on Page 3.

Well... now that's out of the way...
Snagged the 2017 MmmBop frame in XL from CRC for 300 bucks to tide me over while I'm between FS bikes.
Sold the large 2014 Spitfire frame I was using, and will be transferring all her parts over to the MmmBop until I'm in a position to obtain a new XL FS frame.

Should be starting the build process tonight, and hopefully finishing it up tomorrow or Wednesday.
At the very latest, in time for a test ride on Saturday. :party:

Spec will be as follows:
Frame:
Headset - Hope ZS44/56 - Black
Bottom Bracket - Hope Stainless Steel - Purple
Seat clamp - Hope bolt clamp - Purple

Suspension:
Fork - Manitou Mattoc Pro 650B, 160mm - Black

Cockpit:
Handlebars - Deity CZ38 Signature, 760mm width, 38mm rise - Black/white
Stem - Hope AM/FR, 50mm - Purple
Grips - ODI Rogue w/Hope Grip Doctor bar ends - Purple
Saddle - SDG Ti-Fly - Black
Seatpost - KS LEV, 150mm w/Southpaw lever
Front brake - Shimano XT M785 - Black
Rear brake - Shimano XT M785 - Black
Shifter - Shimano XT M8000
Top cap - Hope - Black
Steerer spacers - Hope Space Doctor - Black

Drivetrain:
Cranks - Shimano XT M785 w/Hope 34t Retainer - Black
Chainguide - 77Designs Freesolo top guide
Chain - KMC X11 - Black/silver
Pedals - Hope F20 - Purple
Derailleur - Shimano XT, M8000 Shadow+ 11sp, mid-cage
Cassette - Shimano XT M8000 11 sp, 11-42

Wheels:
Wheelset - Hope Tech Enduro 650B - Purple Pro2 Evo straight pull hubs
Rotors - Shimano RT86, 203mm front, 180mm rear
Tyres - Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Gravity 650B front, Schwalbe Hans Dampf Super Gravity 650B rear

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
[video=youtube;_cHa063Mwos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHa063Mwos[/video]

Nice parts list, looking forward to progress pics :thumb::thumb:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thats gonna be awesome fun. And 300 is a bargain, should be an a pretty good ride untill the pole happens.

Time to match theme and grab some joker socks to wear.

That is eye wateringly green. Bargain price.
Should stand out. And looks a solid build too.
Pretty keen to hear the feedback on the Mattoc forks.
seem to be reasonably priced in comparison to other brands

slowmick

38-39"
Schweet looking frame. looking forward to seeing it built up. i hope there are some custom graphics.

name actually made me thing of homer says it much slower with a bit of drool, "mmmmmmm, Bop".

moorey

call me Mia
That is eye wateringly green. Bargain price.
Should stand out. And looks a solid build too.
Pretty keen to hear the feedback on the Mattoc forks.
seem to be reasonably priced in comparison to other brands
Mattocs are sweet. I like them 95% as much as pikes...boomking likes then 10% more.
Where does the motor go, Daz? Oh wait, it's not a spitfire. Sorry.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've been on the Mattoc for nearly 2 years now, and they've been awesome.

Just had their first proper (non-fuckwit-thread-worthy) service when I changed the crown/steerer unit to accommodate the longer head tube on the MmmBop... But even before then they were still going strong and I was only just starting to notice a tiny, tiny bit of stiction when entering the travel. That's a pretty good service interval if you ask me. :party:

As for the frame... yeah... BRIGHT! (Hello Tom!)
It looks a bit muted in photos, depending on the quality of the screen you're viewing from... indoors it looks a bit flat too, but as soon as you step outside into natural light, it's like BAYUM! Blinding, near-fluorescent green! I do really like how the frame looks though, aesthetically. Angles and all that. It's one of the few XL hardtails I've discovered that don't look spastic and awkward, with near-horizontal top tubes... all looking like '90s rigid MTBs and shit. The 2016 model was slightly more appealing, visually... but they altered the seat angle for 2017, which is a welcomed change.

I attached the seat clamp and bottom bracket to see how the purple goes against the green and it's... interesting!
I'd almost prefer a purple frame with green Hope bits, but what can ya do... :smow:

Should be able to put on most of the core components once I'm home tonight, then all the fiddly shit (new brake lines, bleeding, cables, derailleur tuning, etc.) tomorrow evening.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Build is 80% complete.

Just gotta do the gear and dropper cables, thread the chain and get the right stem height before I chop the steerer.

Just sat her on the ground and dayum she's long!

And SLACK! JESUS (wept), 64 degrees static looks nuts on a hardtail... Actually it's probably a touch slacker as my fork is at 160, not 150.

I'll save photos for completion, as phone cameras in low light are dildos.
Progressing well though. :party:

Build is 80% complete.

Just gotta do the gear and dropper cables, thread the chain and get the right stem height before I chop the steerer.

Just sat her on the ground and dayum she's long!

And SLACK! JESUS (wept), 64 degrees static looks nuts on a hardtail... Actually it's probably a touch slacker as my fork is at 160, not 150.

I'll save photos for completion, as phone cameras in low light are dildos.
Progressing well though. :party:
New school HT's are getting long and low.
I'm a fan. My Nukeproof is similar in geo.
It's as long as my Enduro 29r.
Looking forward to the reveal.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Been toying with things today, and turns out I can't run two cables under the top tube without lashing out $16 on a double cable guide set.

The frame only came with singles... the hell is this shit, Ragley?!

I can't really figure out a way to route my external LEV otherwise. I might have to cable tie or black duct tape it to the top tube for now.
Fucken rude!

Other than this issue I'm all done... just need to give it a wash (old bits are still dirty from Thredbo) and stick some more air in the tyres. :party:

safreek

And with Hanson in Aust what a perfect time to get the bike together, ride it to the mmmmbop concert. How bloody good does life get