Ragley Marley budget 26er

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Frame - 2017 Ragley Marley 17"
Fork - Boxxer lowers with Domain uppers, Cut spring shaft and spring. Had to make spacers for under bumpstops. Ended up with with 530 A/C length at 130mm travel.
Handlebars - FUNN (on order)
Stem - Kalloy Uno 60mm (not fitted)
Headset - Brand-X
Seatpost - KS Supernatural with "M-J" lever
Brakes - Deore M615
Cranks - Zee 165mm
Pedals - Fireeye Candy, or SPDs on the rare occasion
Chainring - Red Blackspire 30T
Rear derailleur - Zee
Rear shifter - XT 10
Cassette - 11-36
Wheels - Usually Halo T2's or SAS depending on tyres required
Tyres - 26" Holy Rollers or Fat Alberts, or one of each like on Monday

Total weight - a bit over 14kg currently

This Frame was bought to replace my twice cracked DirtJumper. I tried to reuse as many parts as possible, but had to sort out new cranks and forks, and the dropper has been borrowed from my other bike. I went down a size to try and maintain a DJ feel, and with it's 620 toptube the 17" is plenty long anyway.

There are some new handlebars coming purely for vanity, so the unfashionable DJ bars are fitted at the moment. I also have a fixed seatpost on the way, as this bike will need to double for riding to work duties, hence the Holy Rollers for the bike path

Attachments

andrew9

Likes Dirt
That looks rad. Any dj action shots?
None yet, my limited available riding time makes playing with the GoPro hard to fit in.
I'm keen to see how it handles the BMX park doubles, seems to boost pretty good on the trail, and much more stable than the short and steep DJ

Last edited:

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I got a PM asking for an update on my bike, so I figured I could update here.
They specifically asked about pedal strikes and geo with the 26" wheels:

I don't have any problems with pedal strikes, I run 165 cranks so that would help a bit, but mostly I think on a hardtail you make better line choice and won't hit as much as a bigger bike. I hit pedals way more on my full suspension bike.
It's important to note I'm using a custom fork that is actually 530mm Axle to Crown, 5mm more than they spec with 27.5, if you run normal 26 forks it'll be lower

It's an awesome bike, super stable and fun on the downhill. It's no where near as easy to manual or whip as a dirtjumper, but that's the trade for being good at high speed stuff.
I went a full size smaller than recommend. I'm on the 17" and I'm 190cm tall, I think that's perfect myself, I almost find it too stable and planted now, I'd hate for it to be even longer by going to the 19"