Cassette - SRAM X1
Front hub - Specialized roval 24 spoke
Rear hub - Specialized roval 28 spoke
Front rim - Specialized Roval
Rear rim - Specialized Roval
Tyres - Maxxis DHR front and Conti Trail king rear
Tubes - No
Total weight - Unknown

So picked up a bargain, even pre covid, 2016 Stumpy off Gumtree yesterday. Hardly ridden, still had the factory tyres on it. Took it for a spin of Stromlo today and it was a hoot. I'll probably have to replace the wheels as I don't see the lasting long and will swap the SRAM for Shimano drive train but this is a great little trail bike. The colour is pretty hideous so taking ideas on how to fix it, thinking of rawing the frame but that's a lot of work. Thinking I'm going to keep it as it was a great fun ride so will probably move the Banshee on.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Must be pretty impressive to have already displaced the Banshee in your affections. What do you like about it more? Just more lively?

No doubt it's just the S badge. Wannabe dentist. Dental hygienist, more like it.
Banshees aren't for everyone. Some are happy to waste money.
Love that Banshee but for how I ride and how much I ride it this will be the better bike. Essential 1/3 the price for 3/4 of the bike so can justify having it hang in the garage a bit better when I'm riding the Waltly 90% of the time.

The Banshee just cruises through everything I point it at but feels a bit dead. This is more skittish (steeper head angle and shorter wheel base) and poppy which I like for the trails I ride.

That reminds me I need to go put the Banshee up in the sale section.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah the radioactive snot is not terrible, just leave it. Might need to swap the gold Curas for some black though...

Can't believe @moorey isn't in here lynching you for that last sentence!
The gold Curas will probably get the black paint pen treatment to keep the budget vibe.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Really glad I didn't listen to you lot. Rawed the frame with paint stripper yesterday which went much better and faster than expected so had it cleaned and back together last night. Took it for a COVID safe/within my local area spin today and had a bit of fun. New photos at the top.

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really glad I didn't listen to you lot. Rawed the frame with paint stripper yesterday which went much better and faster than expected so had it cleaned and back together last night. Took it for a COVID safe/within my local area spin today and had a bit of fun. New photos at the top.
Looks tidy in raw.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks sweet! Have seen one which was hit with steel wool to rough it up after stripping, and then clear coated - looked awesome and didnt turn dull like a full raw frame would.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
That looks sweet! Have seen one which was hit with steel wool to rough it up after stripping, and then clear coated - looked awesome and didnt turn dull like a full raw frame would.
That might be on the cards for later. I went over it with a scotch pad which gave it a pretty good brushed finish. Once the project is done I'll get some better pics.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
New pics at the top

Well fitted the 27.5 wheel that I accidentally bought off @clockworked , thought I would try it as a mullet before going to the fwits thread. Well it rides even better now so happy accident. I was considering offset bushings to slacken the head angle a little bit after finding out you can't use a works headset. Some discussions with @SummitFever and some rough math at the pub later concluded that the shock hardware wasn't really thick enough to make a big difference. Hadn't even considered a smaller rear wheel until the little mistake turned up in the post. A bit thanks to @clockworked for his help with the wheel and end caps.

Also got rid of the SRAM running gear for Shimano with 170mm cranks which made the total pedal clearance drop about 1mm.

Last edited: