RAD rear derailleur plate - worthwhile?

Winno

Likes Dirt
Anyone running a One-up RAD outer plate on their XTR shadow+ and Hope 40T combo? I'm also using a RF 34T N/W up front.

Would appreciate any comments on whether the shifting is actually better than with the standard carbon plate.

To me, the standard carbon plate feels as good as an un-modded cassette already and I have no issues with too firm a trigger action at the shifter or any grinding in the 40T.

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to magazine 'reviews' of new parts.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

mint355

Likes Dirt
Hey Winno,
I got one on my Explosif and the shifting on and off my wolf tooth component 40t w/ XTR 11-36 cassette is real crisp and seemed to make it a lot easier to tune up. I also got a 16 tooth cog to replace the 15-17 which got rid of the big jump in the ratios.
CheeRS

UL7R4

Squid
The boys i ride with swear by them..

But if your only going 40T and not 42 go saint rear.

I've got saint 40t/30t and it changes better imho ..

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the 42t with the RAD cage. Works brilliantly. :third:
I am with him. Not sure if you realize from your comments, but the idea of the rad cage is to create an offset to give more clearance to the big gear that the standard cage doesn't offer

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.
Maybe I should consider one then.
Where did you guys get yours from?
Might pick up a 16T as well.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Ok, sweet.
My XTR GS is already on the way so this will have to do instead of a Saint or Zee.

I may give the shorter cage RADr a go in the end.

Thanks again guys

Last edited:

uppo

Likes Bikes
I don't use mine

I converted to 1 x 10 using a OneUp 40t and the 16t cog. I also bought the Rad cage. I never installed the rad cage as the shifting seemed quite fine to me. I've never had an issue from the 36 to the 40 and back again. The 16t shifting has a slight issue but nothing to really give me any trouble. It's not just as quick as the rest of the cassette. I am using a 30t front ring on a Specialized Camber.
I have read that you really only need the rad cage with the 42tooth.

OneUp have just realeased the RadR cage which replaces both sides of the cage. Good for people with saint or Zee derailleurs to go to a 42t cog without the need for a new derailleur

Details are below

$55.00 USD
Shimano RD's just got Radr!
Optimize ANY Shadow+ RD for perfect 11-42 performance.
The 2nd generation Rad cage. Specifically designed for Saint and Zee but works with all Shimano Shadow+ (clutch) rear derailleurs. RADr is the lowest profile 42T compatible cage. Dramatically improves shifting performance on any extended range Shimano 1X10 drivetrain. Includes replacement front and rear cages.

RADr Design

The key feature of the OneUp RADr (Radial Appositioned Derailleur) cage is that we’ve moved the upper pulley wheel rearward of the cage pivot to optimize the derailleur for larger sprockets. Now as the derailleur moves into larger sprockets the top pulley wheel automatically moves away to adjust the chain gap, no longer relying on just B-Screw.

RADr Benefits

Cage length is between GS and SS cages to offer the shortest 42T compatible cage possible
Dramatically improves shifting performance for Shimano Shadow+ clutch rear derailleurs
Tuning your derailleur to achieve perfect shifting with an 11-42 is now much easier
Requires Stock B-Screw adjustment (No more removing washers or reversing B-Screws)
Improves chain wrap and extends cassette life
Provides the lowest possible profile to prevent unwanted cage strikes
Installs in under 15 minutes – checkout the install video for full details

CraigM81

Likes Bikes
You probably don't need it for the 40t, with the 42t you can run out of b limit screw with standard cage. Agree with the comment above that the 16t they send is junk, it was super loose on my freehub and I couldn't get it to shift right so binned it and just dealt with the bigger jump from the standard cassette

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks for this additional input. As I said at first, there's no real issue right now but thought the RAD cage would make things 'better'.

Will give it more consideration but am also thinking along the lines of, 'if it ain't broke...'

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for this additional input. As I said at first, there's no real issue right now but thought the RAD cage would make things 'better'.

Will give it more consideration but am also thinking along the lines of, 'if it ain't broke...'
Think I saw you said you were planning on using xtr? The Rad cage is only designed for xt medium cage. The new radr cage will work but

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You probably don't need it for the 40t, with the 42t you can run out of b limit screw with standard cage. Agree with the comment above that the 16t they send is junk, it was super loose on my freehub and I couldn't get it to shift right so binned it and just dealt with the bigger jump from the standard cassette
I had my tracer set up with a 11t-40t with the b-tension set as close as possible.
I still managed to skip the chain under hard pedalling, a lot.
Rather than spending $100+ on 'fixing' an XT drivetrain I'm just going to X01 now.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Think I saw you said you were planning on using xtr? The Rad cage is only designed for xt medium cage. The new radr cage will work but
Rad cage is for any medium cage shadow+ mech.

Compatibility: Shimano GS (medium cage) Shadow+ 10spd clutch rear derailleurs

Deore (RD-M615 GS)
SLX (RD-M675 GS)
XT (RD-M786 GS)
XTR (RD-M985/RD-M986 GS)

teK--

Eats Squid
Running 11-40 with the General Lee adapter so no need for mucking around with a 16T. Without rad cage shifting still seems fine in both directions with an XT mid cage, so comment above re this only being required for a 42T seems valid.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running 11-40 with the General Lee adapter so no need for mucking around with a 16T. Without rad cage shifting still seems fine in both directions with an XT mid cage, so comment above re this only being required for a 42T seems valid.
It's not shifting that it assists, it's chain wrap on your cassette.
Better shifting is a by-product of better chain wrap.