R2 Bike

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i 'bought' a shock from them, however there was a worldwide stock shortage and i ended up buying local.

they did subtract the VAT, and were quite helpful even when cancelling my order and refunding the money.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Great, good to know. Without the 19% VAT their custom built XC wheel prices are actually really competitive.

Very fancy Eurobling here I come.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
So I built some custom wheels through R2.

The price comes to $1022AUD including postage. The postage is 25Euro. Am I going to get hit with import duty if the postage tips it over the limit?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I built some custom wheels through R2.

The price comes to $1022AUD including postage. The postage is 25Euro. Am I going to get hit with import duty if the postage tips it over the limit?
Shouldn't as the evaluation is supposed to be on the goods only.

Z

Zaf

Yeah, I'd be fighting it if they tried to hit me with import tax by including postage.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll be fine, postage is only considered if the goods are over the value. You may have to argue with them so get a proper commercial invoice from R2 now so you have it on hand once the goods hits customs. Who do they ship with?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought they incuded postage (also insurance), then wacked on the import duty, then gst

from tax site:

The value of taxable importation is the sum of:
-the customs value of the goods
-any customs duty payable
-the amount paid or payable to transport the goods to their place of consignment in Australia
-the insurance cost for that transport

so they take the value, add duty, then add postage, then insurance... than they % GST on ALL of that.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought they incuded postage (also insurance), then wacked on the import duty, then gst

from tax site:

The value of taxable importation is the sum of:
-the customs value of the goods
-any customs duty payable
-the amount paid or payable to transport the goods to their place of consignment in Australia
-the insurance cost for that transport

so they take the value, add duty, then add postage, then insurance... than they % GST on ALL of that.
Only if the cost of the goods themselves are over the threshold.

$900 item, $100 postage = no taxes or duty
$1000, $100 postage = taxes and duty on $1100

Bike parts are mostly duty free however.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah well I've been charged GST on something that wasn't over $1000, but was when postage was included (wheels from Jenson)...

But at the same time (well different time in "time") didn't get charged anything on wheels from crc that were well over $1000...