Quick jaunt at Stromlo, sugestions?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going up to Goulburn for a weekend in a few weeks time, will have a spare half day on the way and was planning a ride at Mt Stromlo.
Knowing nothing of the place and never having been there before can anyone suggest a good place for trail maps and perhaps a route for a 2 to 3 hr ride? AM/XC style ride.

Thanks in advance.

Duane.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Using the map attached, you could probably occupy around two hours (give or take breaks) with minimal trail duplication by going:
-Fenceline
-Cockatoo switchbacks
-blue gums
-bobby pin
-emu track
-ABC switchback
-city view
-red rock
-tall trees
-echidna junction
-western wedgetail
-pork barrel
-slick rock at the junction
-brindabella
-terminal velocity
-spin doctor
-shady's
-double dissolution
-fire road up the hill to party line
-party line (left at the bottom, not up the climb)
-dingo
-white gum
-ringtail
-bluetongue
-heartbreaker
-echidna (only repeat, I promise)
-rollercoaster
-skyline
-luge
-old duffy

I know that's a lot to remember, but that's what masking tape on the top tube is for. A lot of these are natural progressions, really the only ones you may need to look for are pork barrel, slick rock and bluetongue. It's a cracking bunch of tracks, so enjoy!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stromlo is a very friendly place to ride. I have turned up there a few times on my own and joined other groups of riders on the trails who showed me around and made it more fun.
The first time I rode there I mainly did loop 2 as I had so much fun on sky line and the luge and kept riding that loop until I was stuffed.
I agree with Ivan Pork B and Double are a must.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be riding there with a friend. Might just write that one on some masking tape Klips, cheers all.

T-Rex

Template denier
Using the map attached, you could probably occupy around two hours (give or take breaks) with minimal trail duplication by going:
-Fenceline
-Cockatoo switchbacks
-blue gums
-bobby pin
-emu track
-ABC switchback
-city view
-red rock
-tall trees
-echidna junction
-western wedgetail
-pork barrel
-slick rock at the junction
-brindabella
-terminal velocity
-spin doctor
-shady's
-double dissolution
-fire road up the hill to party line
-party line (left at the bottom, not up the climb)
-dingo
-white gum
-ringtail
-bluetongue
-heartbreaker
-echidna (only repeat, I promise)
-rollercoaster
-skyline
-luge
-old duffy

I know that's a lot to remember, but that's what masking tape on the top tube is for. A lot of these are natural progressions, really the only ones you may need to look for are pork barrel, slick rock and bluetongue. It's a cracking bunch of tracks, so enjoy!
+1. This is a very nicely strung together ride, although I've never done these trails in this order. But will be doing so next time I'm visiting Canberra. Thanks Klips.

PS do any of you Canberrans happen to know if the bike path from below Scrivener dam to Stromlo is complete yet?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hit me up when you're doing it and if I'm in town I'll join for a quick blatt

Klips

Likes Dirt
+1. This is a very nicely strung together ride, although I've never done these trails in this order. But will be doing so next time I'm visiting Canberra. Thanks Klips.

PS do any of you Canberrans happen to know if the bike path from below Scrivener dam to Stromlo is complete yet?
No sweat. I'm usually the trail leader on our group rides as no one else can be bothered remembering where everything goes, so this is one of my favourites (especially as you're already rooted before you get to heartbreaker so it lives up to its name).

The answer is yes and no - it's pretty much done, but it's not good by any measure in some points and does require at least one dubious road crossing.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Take a change of clothes and a towel too - nice free hot showers in the change rooms below carpark.

Rode there last Sunday for the first time and still grinning. Spent about 3 hrs there and barely doubled up except pork barrel and double dissolution (from memory...) which were great fun.

Have fun,

Cam