Question regarding shock stroke

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes but depending on the amount of clearance on your bike you may need to install a spacer in the shock.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The proper spacers are just little washers on the damper shaft inside the air can. The 57.5mm and 60mm stroke shocks will be identical except that the 57.5 has a 2.5mm bottom out spacer.

You can get the 60mm stroke shock, install it on your bike and test cycle it with no air. If you can compress to full bottom out without your rear tyre hitting the seat tube or any of the linkage elements hitting frame parts then you’re good to go and can enjoy your bike with a little bit more travel.

If anything hits (which I’d say would be unlikely with only 2.5mm stroke given on most multi-link frames the leverage ratio will have dropped pretty low at the end of the travel), you can probably make a little 2.5mm washer out of some hose or pvc or something - just need to clip it onto the top of the damper shaft inside the air can.

What frame is it?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The proper spacers are just little washers on the damper shaft inside the air can. The 57.5mm and 60mm stroke shocks will be identical except that the 57.5 has a 2.5mm bottom out spacer.

You can get the 60mm stroke shock, install it on your bike and test cycle it with no air. If you can compress to full bottom out without your rear tyre hitting the seat tube or any of the linkage elements hitting frame parts then you’re good to go and can enjoy your bike with a little bit more travel.

If anything hits (which I’d say would be unlikely with only 2.5mm stroke given on most multi-link frames the leverage ratio will have dropped pretty low at the end of the travel), you can probably make a little 2.5mm washer out of some hose or pvc or something - just need to clip it onto the top of the damper shaft inside the air can.

What frame is it?
^^^ This ^^^ Be very carful linkages won't knock into the frame though.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This pic from MTBR shows the travel spacer on a 52.5mm stroke DPX2. Lots of guys there removing spacers or going to a 55mm stroke shock to bump the travel on their Stumpjumpers.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info all. Seems like it's definitely achievable. I might even be able to check the a spacer in the existing shock and use that.

moorey

call me Mia
clever !! great idea, thanks
I’m running 200x51 on wife’s bike instead of 190x49. It’s BB was waaaaay too low (27.5 wheels on frame made for 29). 20mm longer fork balanced it perfect.
Most of that is irrelevant to you, other than a bit longer shock or stroke is sometimes fine. Depends on the frame. Worth checking.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't it have a 2.5mm and 5mm bottom out spacer since the body would be based off the max stroke of that E2E being 65mm?
Or is the 230x60 and 230x65 two seperate designs? From what I remember, the 60 is a 65 with a 5mm bottom out spacer

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Wouldn't it have a 2.5mm and 5mm bottom out spacer since the body would be based off the max stroke of that E2E being 65mm?
Or is the 230x60 and 230x65 two seperate designs? From what I remember, the 60 is a 65 with a 5mm bottom out spacer
Yes then! Wasn’t thinking of 230x65 being a thing sorry. Was going off my experience of 210x55/52.5/50