Question for the technically minded - VPN and data protection

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Mobile carriers had been caught injecting special tracking mechanisms into their user’s web surfing activities. Because they are embedded at the network level, users cannot block these “supercookies”. Such tracking mechanisms allow for the creation of rich user data profiles and for
their use in advertising and tracking.

I have no doubt your app blocked 350 tracking attempts. I doubt it made a difference.

i posted this above, and its quite indepth, but if you get even part way through it, you will realise how futile it is.
Oh yeah don't doubt it but will continue to support companies that are at least trying.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Oh yeah don't doubt it but will continue to support companies that are at least trying.
I wonder though....

in effect you're still losing your privacy, just to Microsoft exclusively, who then aggregate and on-sell insights anyway.

You always have to question what does a company like duck duck go get out of it? money, for user data and insights. surprise.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I wonder though....

in effect you're still losing your privacy, just to Microsoft exclusively, who then aggregate and on-sell insights anyway.

You always have to question what does a company like duck duck go get out of it? money, for user data and insights. surprise. lol.
Hmm unfortunate that they have to allow Microsoft trackers so they can run, no real surprise MS are the OG tech snoop.

Still if I have to make someone pay an extra 0.002c for my data then it's a win in my book.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Hmm unfortunate that they have to allow Microsoft trackers so they can run, no real surprise MS are the OG tech snoop.

Still if I have to make someone pay an extra 0.002c for my data then it's a win in my book.
Microsoft? nah. Acxiom and Oracle are the OGs. before harvesting data from online was a thing, these guys were doing it from everything else, including magazine subscription data, credit scores, births death andmarriage records, voting roles etc. Its been going on for since before we were born. The digital space just opened it up to more players and more data points. Both oracle and acxiom have unique IDs for individuals across the globe.