Question for the technically minded - VPN and data protection

ualf

Likes Dirt
Device ID at work again. Your blue tooth wouldn't even need to be on for this type of location activity to push targeted advertising to you
I wouldn't expect this to work with blue tooth switched off. As I understand it BT needs to be on and discoverable for this to work.

Unfortunately if you use a blue tooth connection between your phone and car or headphones BT would be on and discoverable and not many people would be bothered to turn it off and on several times a day.

Convienience is the enemy of privacy and anonymity unfortunately.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
This is what worries (and shits) me. How many people are walking around with bluetooth on and Airpods in all the time?
We are essentially at prototype cyborg v1.2 and now firmly in a digital, virtual age and the conversation is still essentially 'the business model of big tech companies is bad and it needs to change'. Forget change, maybe we need to stop and just fucking think about what we want our grandkids lives to look like for a while.
I don't think the average person can actually comprehend what big data is and what the consequences could be, even if they are spelled out for them. We are so far beyond the pale, we don't know what we're doing and we don't know what we don't know about how all this rapid change is affecting our million year old bodies and psychology, except that privacy is dead, everything is commodified and for sale and we have an epidemic of depression and anxiety.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I wouldn't expect this to work with blue tooth switched off. As I understand it BT needs to be on and discoverable for this to work.
That's where you're wrong unfortunately. Blue tooth is fairly limited, though not useless. What you described, specifically being near this display before fits the bill for device id targeting. Take a look at an excerpt below re device id marketing strategy. Your device ID is collected everywhere, aggregated, parsed and used for this shit every day.

MOBILE DEVICE ID TARGETING – THE FUTURE OF MARKETING
Device ID (DID) is a geo-fencing product that allows you to target devices that have been at a previous location. You can capture these devices by mapping out a list of locations during a specified lookback period, which is the specified timeframe you want to capture data from. Then, DID delivers ads to the devices that live in the targeted locations for your marketing campaign.

This mobile device ID targeting allows you to gather information about your targeted customer such as their email engagement, offline purchases at retail stores, online browser searches, where they live, demographic data, etc. The unique mobile device ID ensures that all the customer’s behaviors and interests you’re tracking across different platforms really belong to the same person

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
This is what worries (and shits) me. How many people are walking around with bluetooth on and Airpods in all the time?
We are essentially at prototype cyborg v1.2 and now firmly in a digital, virtual age and the conversation is still essentially 'the business model of big tech companies is bad and it needs to change'. Forget change, maybe we need to stop and just fucking think about what we want our grandkids lives to look like for a while.
I don't think the average person can actually comprehend what big data is and what the consequences could be, even if they are spelled out for them. We are so far beyond the pale, we don't know what we're doing and we don't know what we don't know about how all this rapid change is affecting our million year old bodies and psychology, except that privacy is dead, everything is commodified and for sale and we have an epidemic of depression and anxiety.
Yerp. Pretty much this.

There are people in technology circles that recognise this has gotten away from us and are avid detractors. But they've hilighted that the new kids coming into this field grew up with this and don't see the same issues. They are motivated to keep interacting with it, itterating it to make it more powerful, customised and cool etc.

ualf

Likes Dirt
<snip>
Forget change, maybe we need to stop and just fucking think about what we want our grandkids lives to look like for a while.
<snip>
My imagination is not good enough to imagine that far so I would be wasting my time.

I don't think the real issue is caused by the technology. These things are just tools. Unfortunately because these changes have happened so fast social expectations and legal protections have a long way to go in order to catch up.

Keep in mind the 1st iPhone was launched about 14 years ago. Public dialup internet access was not a thing until the mid 90s.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
My imagination is not good enough to imagine that far so I would be wasting my time.

I don't think the real issue is caused by the technology. These things are just tools. Unfortunately because these changes have happened so fast social expectations and legal protections have a long way to go in order to catch up.

Keep in mind the 1st iPhone was launched about 14 years ago. Public dialup internet access was not a thing until the mid 90s.
Do you think it will catch up? I think we'll bend and make concessions as the tech becomes more pervasive and harder to avoid.

There was a time we'd all scoff at being filmed everywhere we go, but if you live in a capital city these days, you just need to gaze up to spot at least 10 cameras anywhere you are. It just doesn't register anymore.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Grab a slab of beer, peel your network back to one device and fire up wireshark and go packet sniffing. Oh baby, the plain text alone flying about is eye opening.

I spent a day once mapping the IP’s of all firewall blocked inbound packets. JFC.

I’ve got a bunch of pre teens to get out in front of with regards to monitoring and control. It’s going to be like being behind the Great Wall of China once I’m finished. I was going to vlan but now I think I’ll go two discrete networks.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Grab a slab of beer, peel your network back to one device and fire up wireshark and go packet sniffing. Oh baby, the plain text alone flying about is eye opening.
Yes, since moving away from ITU bit orientated comms to all sorts of things based on IETF RFC's where readable text dominates over obscure hex then it sure is a lot easier. Based on the foundations of trust and that everyone plays nice and all will be fine which wasn't going to work once the rest of the world jumped on. The lust to get stuff done immediately has played its part too.

It’s going to be like being behind the Great Wall of China once I’m finished.
They will grow to love your flavour of WeChat and Weibo :)

ualf

Likes Dirt
<snip>
You bring back very fond memories of back in the day when we could travel....
Time spent in the business lounge at the airport running Wireshark on Kali. Astonishing how many individuals will connect to a free WiFi network.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Plain text, get it done fast Fred, really has its limitations. The older IP gateway to the challenger building alarm system is running over plain text.

So is the ip gateway to Clipsal’s Cbus.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That's fine, you can have the view that privacy and security is 100% user driven.
Yeah, except that's not what I said though, was it?

I said that the majority of issues that you pointed out were user driven, that's all. I've also said, very clearly that I realise that there will always be some level of loss and that we cannot account for illegal behaviour, and for that matter, the powers of the state, even when used legally.

Again, what I am trying to do, is find a line between protecting privacy where it can be protected and accepting loss where it cannot.

Your point was that if you use a smart phone there is nothing you can do because it's "game over". My response, so far is, that almost everything you've pointed out can be managed.

Technology is sold as a convenience, a product that betters our lives. People want to believe that, and for the most part it does. It just costs your data and privacy. When you start overlaying it with all these measures to protect against something you shouldn't have to to worry about, the convenience and benefits to our lives start to be eroded. Who's got time to manage sticky tape on a camera phone? Do I cover the front and back?
Yep, user behaviour, laziness, apathy, convenience, etc. All issues that are up to the user.

Re signals phone contact matching - great. They've stored a number and can continually connect numbers to numbers every time via deitentified data. Basically a map of associations. Stand alone, that data is deidentified, aggregated with other data, not so deidentified any more.
Sorry, that is inaccurate:
Signal periodically sends truncated cryptographically hashed phone numbers for contact discovery. Names are never transmitted, and the information is not stored on the servers. The server responds with the contacts that are Signal users and then immediately discards this information. Your phone now knows which of your contacts is a Signal user and notifies you if your contact just started using Signal.

Also: Privacy of user data. Signal does not sell, rent or monetize your personal data or content in any way – ever.

You can read their privacy policy here: https://www.signal.org/legal/#privacy-policy

This is the whole illusion I'm trying to hilight. You give one company your deidentified data, who at some point decides their core values change or their data is compromised via a hack, and it's no longer private. Never happened before has it?
At the risk of repeating myself, I am aware of how the ecosystem works around the monetisation of data.

Facebook initially also had told users its privacy was strict. Untill it wasn't. Time and time again. Sure the people at signal aren't Zuckerberg, but who's to say that won't change. Money is a powerful motivator. People sell out all the time. Signal is just one company.
Yep, as mentioned, ensuring privacy requires continued effort to ensure awareness and nothing can account for illegal behaviour.

I'd argue that it wont matter in the long run. It won't stop data harvesting or new technologies being created to do so. At some point that device won't need apps or your permission to do everything it wants, like the WiFi tech I mentioned before. Even if you don't switch WiFi on, you're bathed in WiFi signals from other devices you have no control of. Other people's devices will eventually know who you are in this map because your device I'd is unique and is tied to you personally by name via your phone provider.
Yes, and that's a very interesting discussion to have. I do not agree that there is nothing you can do about it, even if for the simple logic that if great minds can develop a pro-tech, great minds can also develop anti-tech. The initiative is with the pro-tech, of course, but if we gave in to the pro-tech without any effort, we would not have systems like missile defence, anti-submarine warfare or anti-virus software. None of this stuff is water tight, of course, nothing is. But it does provide a level of safety and risk management.

The idea that a government intercepted all communications and parsed the data without the publics knowledge or permission was considdered a crack pot conspiracy theory not so long ago. Untill it wasn't.
Of course, there are limits to what we can know and protect against. But that still doesn't convince me that there is no point doing what you can.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not sure if this is what you're trying to distinguish between @johnny but having listened to a few interviews with Snowden, any device powered on and connected to a mobile network can be located pretty accurately through ranging and triangulation. So your device, by virtue of being a phone, is constantly giving away your location data. Aside from that and nefarious hardware I can't see what a smartphone gives away in terms of data that any other mobile would give away.
Yes, and that's part of the privacy that we must accept that we lose when using connected devices. We have to provide some level of trust/cynicism/oversight to the telcos and govt, but in the end, accept that we cede an element of control by being connected.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Who's noticed that the self-checkouts at Woolies now have a video camera pointed at your face as you scan your goods. Would be interesting to know whether your face could be tracked by other cameras around the store as you browse each time you visit, a profile built and attached to the card you paid with, whether it's a loyalty card or not.

I assume the tech to do all this is already available, but would they need my consent to do it? Possibly not if my name is not attached to the profile, but I imagine with aggregation it could well end up becoming linked anyway.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I'm about to set up a new network at home. Also planning to use at least two (one for adults, one for kids and/or guests, maybe a third for those dodgy IOT devices). The last thing I want is some spyware filled television or toaster providing a backdoor into my home network used by the 'real' devices and storage.

Interested in using a pi-hole or similar as well, for network level ad-blocking (https://docs.pi-hole.net/).

With some young kids, also thinking like @link1896 and just hoping to stay one step ahead (for as long as possible). Hence the second network for them. Can be more locked down / monitored than the adult one.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yeah, except that's not what I said though, was it?

I said that the majority of issues that you pointed out were user driven, that's all. I've also said, very clearly that I realise that there will always be some level of loss and that we cannot account for illegal behaviour, and for that matter, the powers of the state, even when used legally.
So...user driven, except when it's not?
The "when its not" component is an exceptionally fast growing segment. Its faster than people can keep up with and is ever more weighted to this default position. Device ID capture is a perfect example of this. You cannot opt in/out of that if you own a smart phone.

Again, what I am trying to do, is find a line between protecting privacy where it can be protected and accepting loss where it cannot.

Your point was that if you use a smart phone there is nothing you can do because it's "game over". My response, so far is, that almost everything you've pointed out can be managed.
Game Over is clearly a hyperbolic comment, but its not far from the truth. While almost everything ive pointed out can be "managed", it rarely is. Or is managed by those like yourself that care. The problem is the less people care, the less need/market there it to keep working on stuff for people that do care. Its obvious from the behaviors of the vast majority of users and generational changes what direction were moving in - hence Game Over.

Yep, user behaviour, laziness, apathy, convenience, etc. All issues that are up to the user.
Yep AKA the majority of users. Soon to be a bigger majority as a generation of users passes.

Sorry, that is inaccurate:
Signal periodically sends truncated cryptographically hashed phone numbers for contact discovery. Names are never transmitted, and the information is not stored on the servers. The sesrver responds with the contacts that are Signal user and then immediately discards this information. Your phone now knows which of your contacts is a Signal user and notifies you if your contact just started using Signal.

Also: Privacy of user data. Signal does not sell, rent or monetize your personal data or content in any way – ever.

You can read their privacy policy here: https://www.signal.org/legal/#privacy-policy
so Signal periodically access your device (because it doesn't store data on servers) to collect information, that data goes to a server to get matched with other data and then send matches back to the relevant devices, then deletes the records of this matching? Right. SO you're saying you cant build an association map from this? Its basically mapping associations every time it does this! We have to take their word that they just delete the data afterwards. Yeah even if I buy that their data is deleted, that could change either at a company policy level or directed by a government. I know that sounds tinfoil hat like, but again, its happened before and happens all over the world, so I sort of feel like trusting companies to do what they say with data is a 50/50 gamble most days.

And sure, say we trust them. Their ethos/mission statement is pure. For now.

Google also started with the mission statement of "do no evil". While I don't think not paying taxes for large wads of profit is strictly "evil", or sniffing wifi addresses from your street view cars is "evil" it certainly isn't pure. Google as you know has lots of questionable activities, often in the name of progress. Like I said. Money is a powerful motivator to do the wrong thing. Or at least the thing that's kinda cool, but might not be great for everyone. That's kinda "soft evil" in my book.

If privacy laws are changed by governments requiring tech companies to share certain data sets, fat lot of good a company's position on the matter would be. Or like the US government, you can ignore a whole bunch of laws you made because they don't suit you and just take what you want when you want. Apologise later. The NSA still exists and it still does what it was doing before snowden, the difference is now there's PR, there's some dressed up accountability controls (which we'd never know if they are operating effectively or not, because you know, matters of national security) etc.

Take a quick look as the permissions you give signal when you use it. It's probably no different than any other messaging app. You are giving it effective full access to everything on your phone including location/gps data. Mull that over the list a bit, then consider the below.

In the permissions, you might notice something I've been banging on about - • read phone status and identity - Allows Signal to determine your phone number and Device ID. These are used to register for Signal.

So while no messaging data is stored or number (or is it stored, dunno, the messaging seems conflicted) or names, what is stored with your signal registration is your Device ID. It shows the Signal network that you're an authorised network user. Cryptohashed or not, Signal knows who you and the rest of its users are, explicitly, all the time. Combine that with all the other Device ID data you can just buy openly and legaly, what do you have? You have a company that can easily generate and sell insights. Worst is, to them those insights are identifiable on the individual level.

At the risk of repeating myself, I am aware of how the ecosystem works around the monetisation of data.
I think you demonstrate a good understanding of it, but i think there are also gaps in your broader understanding of it. i.e. Device ID and what it means for privacy and data collection/monetisation seems to have been completely missed in your earlier points.

This is a moving target. When device id become the next privacy crusader target (which it has somewhat not surprisingly), expect the industry to pivot, just like the reserch chem drug market. Its simply too good to let go of.

Google almost had a monopoly on Device ID because it gave all these phone manufacturers Android for free. But it wasn't really free, see? It gave Google the ability to geofence all users by name and location and expand its advertising capabilities an away that was unimaginable at the time. Now that other companies have identified ways to make Device ID useful to them, its cutting into google advertising revenue. Would you believe it's Google now that is leading the charge to break how Device ID is/can be used? Google developed a product soo good, that others started exploiting it taking money away from google, now google is trying to break the system it created. Do no Evil, huh. They have something else on the boil. You can smell it. The hypocritical thing is that Google is posturing like it didn't create the market for device id exploitation.

Yep, as mentioned, ensuring privacy requires continued effort to ensure awareness and nothing can account for illegal behavior.
At the risk of repeating MYself, continued effort is not the name of the game. Convenience is. The majority of users are becoming less concerned with privacy. That's not an opinion either.

Yes, and that's a very interesting discussion to have. I do not agree that there is nothing you can do about it, even if for the simple logic that if great minds can develop a pro-tech, great minds can also develop anti-tech. The initiative is with the pro-tech, of course, but if we gave in to the pro-tech without any effort, we would not have systems like missile defense, anti-submarine warfare or anti-virus software. None of this stuff is water tight, of course, nothing is. But it does provide a level of safety and risk management.
You could live in a faraday cage if you wanted actual privacy?

As you rightly point out the initiative is clearly moving in one direction. Great minds are progressing the human race and its technology and its been doing it for decades without checking in for permission (for the most part). Privacy has been and will continue to be a casualty of the progress we make in technology. We've seen it eroded, ignored by governments while waving a progressive privacy stance flag forever and a day. You have to admit, we have less privacy today than we did 10 years ago. Why is that?

Reckon we'll just some how go back to pre internet levels of privacy or do you think its more likely the various classifications of data change to make less things classified as sensitive or worthy of being considered private?

Of course, there are limits to what we can know and protect against. But that still doesn't convince me that there is no point doing what you can.
Do what you can. Its your prerogative. I support your right to do whatever you feel like with your devices. I'm just here to tell you your devices are doing a whole bunch of shit you didn't know about that you have zero control over. And the thing is, no one is actually hiding it.

But to forge something like a free streaming service because of privacy concerns about signing in etc. seems a bit misguided in the big picture. You miss all the great programing and you don't really prevent collection of anything that likely hasn't been collected in some other way already.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Who's noticed that the self-checkouts at Woolies now have a video camera pointed at your face as you scan your goods. Would be interesting to know whether your face could be tracked by other cameras around the store as you browse each time you visit, a profile built and attached to the card you paid with, whether it's a loyalty card or not.

I assume the tech to do all this is already available, but would they need my consent to do it? Possibly not if my name is not attached to the profile, but I imagine with aggregation it could well end up becoming linked anyway.
Heard of Amazon Go?

you walk into the store, you scan your phone. You pick stuff up of fthe shelf, put things back, change your mind a hundred times and walk out with your bags of groceries without ever standing in line, using a checkout or physically paying a cashier. Just walk out with your groceries. Your card is debited the exact amount for whats in your bags. A network of cameras and sensors track everything to the highest degree of accuracy.

Woolies has a way to go, but i think their cameras are more there to capture the faces of people who steal shit.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

Everything you do the moment you leave your front door is trackable, your car number plate can be traced on the highway, phone cell pinging towers leaves a trace, most of your bank transactions are trackable with added video surveillance. If you're suspected of criminal activity, there wouldn't be much stopping governing authorities gaining the info.