Question for the technically minded - VPN and data protection

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Do you use a smart phone? If so, game over.

Not suggesting though that you shouldn't care about data privacy. HoweveR, if you are connected to smart phone, being cautious around things like sbs and abc streaming services is like living in a house that's on fire and being worried about your oven's pilot light.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

Not suggesting though that you shouldn't care about data privacy. HoweveR, if you are connected to smart phone, being cautious around things like sbs and abc streaming services is like living in a house that's on fire and being worried about your oven's pilot light.
I think it's dapper. Is that the same as smart?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
To be honest I think the data security and privacy horse has bolted. Lots of smart people are now spending time trying to apply solutions to protects individuals, but it's IMO a bit late. Even governments often are saying one thing, and doing another.

Facial recognition AI is the next big thing that is of concern. China has it, UK has it, I'm sure others have it, cameras everywhere, microphones everywhere. Millennial don't care about privacy. Etc.

It's a pretty interesting subject, but one that really depresses me :(

Minlak

custom titis
To be honest I think the data security and privacy horse has bolted. Lots of smart people are now spending time trying to apply solutions to protects individuals, but it's IMO a bit late. Even governments often are saying one thing, and doing another.

Facial recognition AI is the next big thing that is of concern. China has it, UK has it, I'm sure others have it, cameras everywhere, microphones everywhere. Millennial don't care about privacy. Etc.

It's a pretty interesting subject, but one that really depresses me :(
I am concerned about the technology we don't know people have. And our reliance on Chinese manufacturing. There is a lot of tech out there now with back doors in that people have no idea about - Modems - TV's - Baby Monitors - Phones - the list is endless.

There is also a very tenuous link between one of the largest VPN providers and the CIA ownership of said VPN tech.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
China has been mapping networks for decades. I'm sure western countries have been doing the same.

It's safe to say that we can assume the worst.

Even BTC has the potential to be an economic weapon if it become adopted as a mainstream currency (China mines and holds approx 90% of all BTC).

So in the sceme of things, while the world burns, I'm happy to be distracted by free streaming content.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am concerned about the technology we don't know people have. And our reliance on Chinese manufacturing. There is a lot of tech out there now with back doors in that people have no idea about - Modems - TV's - Baby Monitors - Phones - the list is endless.

There is also a very tenuous link between one of the largest VPN providers and the CIA ownership of said VPN tech.
Being dumb can be useful.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Who has opted out of using a smartphone or other technologies altogether because of security or data concerns? Or is it too hard now so much of life is done in the palm of our hand?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
i think even if anyone consciously has opted out of a smart phone for this reason is just doing themselves a disservice. at this point. They likely have other devices that do much the same from a data collection perspective. Smart TVs, Work/home PCs they use the internet on, family members that overshare on their devices etc.

Also there work happening where wifi signals can be used to map objects inside rooms effectively allowing devices to map, in realtime objects and movement of people in rooms through walls etc. Kinda cool, kinda scary.

think about all the wifi devices in a home. and how many more are likley to be introduced in the next decade with smart home automation etc.

Jpez

Down on the left!
i think even if anyone consciously has opted out of a smart phone for this reason is just doing themselves a disservice. at this point. They likely have other devices that do much the same from a data collection perspective. Smart TVs, Work/home PCs they use the internet on, family members that overshare on their devices etc.

Also there work happening where wifi signals can be used to map objects inside rooms effectively allowing devices to map, in realtime objects and movement of people in rooms through walls etc. Kinda cool, kinda scary.

think about all the wifi devices in a home. and how many more are likley to be introduced in the next decade with smart home automation etc.
TLDR
So what your saying is resistance is futile and we should just assimilate with the borg now. Ok. I’m down. I’m sick of lock down life anyway. Flying around the universe assimilating other civilisations sounds much more exciting. Sign me up.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
TLDR
So what your saying is resistance is futile and we should just assimilate with the borg now. Ok. I’m down. I’m sick of lock down life anyway. Flying around the universe assimilating other civilisations sounds much more exciting. Sign me up.
yes, my wife, AKA the borg queen , will be by shortly

But in general, yes. The horse has bolted. There is not enough real protections in place to make any real difference to what happens to your privacy, data, etc. any more. You can care as much as you like and put any numbe rof buffers between yourself and private interests, but it doesn't really matter.

We'll get the dog and pony show for another generation about this stuff, then you can bet we'll all forget about it.

like i said, you might aswell enjoy the programming while youre getting probed

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
yeah, the google street view cars were collecting private wifi info (wifi name + the mac address) at least 10-15 years ago when they first started mapping the streets here, then triangulating the position based on the signal strength + car gps to guess which house it was in

thats how the 'stuff near me' google searches worked because the browser would leak your wifi mac address and they knew which house it was in

That's also why when you moved it would be wrong for a while until it got re-sniffed

i dont think the browsers leak the info anymore but i'm sure google/facebook a few generations more advanced now too

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Now it's linked to your Google account and gps. By default your google account has permission to access and collate your devices GPS data. If you look through your google account permissions and find the timeline services, you'll find your daily movments for the last two years.

FYI, you can turn this off. But you have to do it for ALL your google accs (if you have more than one).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Maybe you could list a few reasons why/how smart phones are compromising our privacy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Also it's no secret
Woah dude, don't get your back up, you're posting a lot in this thread and gave the idea that you're up for the discussion.

Read my last post
This doesn't seem like an issue for those of us that don't have a google account. The problem of apps also aren't an issue if you don't use them and you disable the ones that come stock and cannot be deleted. If you use DuckDuckGo and a VPN on the device, that adds another obvious layer. Lastly, if you use Signal or other such methods for coms there is a layer of encryption, which, I'm assured by my friends hasn't yet been cracked.

So apart from the standard data collected by your phone company, I'm genuinely interested to learn what other ways my phone is dobbing on me. I'm sure those ways exist, but I'm a noob in this space and am keen to learn.