Queenstown Vs Maydena for Intermediates

nathanm

Eats Squid
Not when I'm riding.. looks like I'll scrap that idea and wait until Sept/Oct.. tho probably just as likely to be mud and snow :)
its Tasmania though, our risk of snow in Maydena pretty much covers jan-jan but Winter should definitely be avoided. It will often start late though so you may get a way with an early June trip but it would be risky.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
another queenstown Q, been checking the profiles, if i ride up & don’t take gondola looks quite steep, mostly above 10%, which means i’ll struggle on SS—my legs are scrawny...should i be throwing gears on to tackle the climbs there?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
another queenstown Q, been checking the profiles, if i ride up & don’t take gondola looks quite steep, mostly above 10%, which means i’ll struggle on SS—my legs are scrawny...should i be throwing gears on to tackle the climbs there?
So the QT bike on a SS hard tail without uplifts .... sounds a bit quirky !!

There are other rides that would suit that style of bike (and assuming aligned rider preferences) better. Moke Lake, 7 Mile etc. and surely heaps that I don’t know of !

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
So the QT bike on a SS hard tail without uplifts .... sounds a bit quirky !!

There are other rides that would suit that style of bike (and assuming aligned rider preferences) better. Moke Lake, 7 Mile etc. and surely heaps that I don’t know of !
yep other rides planned including a bike hiking expedition. to ben lomond, ill have 1 bike park day though just to check it out - i may take the duallie (also SS)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The access road in the bike park is quite steep, i was in the 50t most of the way up. There are other ways up, fernhill loop, but also steepish and techy. Can't say i saw anyone without gears anywhere. Nz hills are big.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Just checked my strava, access road is 16% average, the first half felt much steeper than the 2nd half, the actual ROAD to the start of access road is 21% but quite short. This will get you to the top of the chairlift, keep pedaling up Beeched Az 8% average. Took me 1hr 18mins to the top of Fernhill Decent. About 600m of climbing in 7.5km for a 10-12min decent in the wet.... worth it.

slowmick

38-39"
You'd want monster legs and a whole lot of stamina to push a single speed up the access road. It is steep and the surface sucks the life out of you. I did my fair share of waking on the first attempt.

Low gears are awesome for the park - there is lots of tech climbing to link the trails together and a lot of them aren't very wide and vision can be limited. crawling is the order of the day in a few places.

moorey

call me Mia
You'd want monster legs and a whole lot of stamina to push a single speed up the access road. It is steep and the surface sucks the life out of you. I did my fair share of waking on the first attempt.
First TransNZ, they gave a paragliding voucher to the person who rode to the top of Skyline first, so on the second year, I smashed it out, killed myself riding up the whole way, was first to the top....no prize :(:p

slowmick

38-39"
That's a very impressive effort Mr @moorey. I decided not to blow what little energy I had left climbing the road. There was still plenty more down to be done. Was a ball of sweat by the time I got to the first stage.

moorey

call me Mia
That's a very impressive effort Mr @moorey. I decided not to blow what little energy I had left climbing the road. There was still plenty more down to be done. Was a ball of sweat by the time I got to the first stage.
You had one more day of riding leading up to this. No Cardrona in my day. (Ok boomer)