Queenstown Vs Maydena for Intermediates

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Just get a room with a double bed....

View attachment 358067
I've found a room with a single bed .... guess I'm sleeping on the floor.

Had a Air BnB on Gorge rd right in town for first 8 nights as there was 3 of us, the others went home and i stayed on, found a reasonably priced airbnb in Frankton, not as close proximity to the chairlift as we had before, but i had a car, look up RAD car hire, i had a mid 2000's imprezza for $500 for 10 days, seats layed flat so allowed for some private shuttles too.
Ah awesome. Thanks for the info. Had no luck with AirBnB unfortunately. Doesn't help that I'm going during a peak season. Worst case I'll end up at a backpackers with the bike on the top bunk :D

betadine

Likes Bikes
Thanks to all for the quality Intel. With really poor weather forecast for our stay we shifted completely and went to Derby and had 5 days of a amazing conditions. Managed to change flights and accom for minimal cost. Not quite the same but still exceptional riding.

Based on the comments here we're saving up now for queenstown. Thanks to all for your input.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natskis

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I’m planning a 4 day trip to one of these with my 13 year old son and looking for guidance on what might suit us best.

We are capable but not absolute shredders so more on the blue intermediate trails with plenty of berms and table tops rather than black. We also love a bit of natural with rock gardens and some steepish sections.

For reference I’ve ridden Rotorua and Derby and the blue trails at each of those are about the right standard. We also get down the DH at our local track Ourimbah with no trouble. We’re both have around 150mm travel.

The reason I’ve picked both of these is that my son loves descending but wears out quickly with too much pedalling so bring on the lifts!

Cheers

Betadine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you do go to queenstown I'd highly recommend you contacting Amy from Queesntown Bike Taxis.
https://queenstownbiketaxis.co.nz/

She can also help you organise accommodation, pickups and shuttles.

Tell her your riding requirements and she'll help you organise the itinerary.

If you love rock gardens with natural rocks ... you should check out Alexandra near Queenstown.
The best trails requrie a guide so hit up Amy to book it as it's on private land.
They'll shuttle you up.

And yes. Hit up the bike park!
It's AWESOME!
So much flow on the blues.

But you CAN'T miss out on Cock Rude Rock :)
So much flow!!!!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
queenstown weather question, if i was to head over for a few days which is most suitable between march-april-may for riding?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
queenstown weather question, if i was to head over for a few days which is most suitable between march-april-may for riding?
Alpine wilderness, rain comes in quick and leaves pretty quick too, unless you do what i did and book your trip during the wettest week in 20 years.... we still rode almost every day. Book it in.... if it rains it rains. you cant control the weather.
if you go for a week you'll guarantee yourself some decent ride time. Also Book some shuttles at ruderock and add in the arrowtown pickup with QBT, add a 3 day liftpass at the bikepark, it seems you dont mind going for a pedal so you could easily spend half a day riding up behind the bikepark on fernhill loop or salmon. Theres also some big unmarked decents from Ben Lomond saddle and down another ridgeline into the bike park too.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
. Theres also some big unmarked decents from Ben Lomond saddle and down another ridgeline into the bike park too.
this is the reason for going - i want to hike with my bike on my back..to test a setup, then ride down from top of ben lomond - test setup as i am trying to organise an italian alps trip later in year to do same

ps did you run heavy tyres there, i’m guessing no minion ss on the rear, but full blown grip

moorey

call me Mia
this is the reason for going - i want to hike with my bike on my back..to test a setup, then ride down from top of ben lomond - test setup as i am trying to organise an italian alps trip later in year to do same

ps did you run heavy tyres there, i’m guessing no minion ss on the rear, but full blown grip
I ran the SS last TransNZ and the days playing in QT after. Excellent unless it’s wet or you’re hitting the really steep stuff.
Was fantastic for hiking up Ben Lomond, then riding down from summit into Missing Link, Beached As, Fern Hill and the trails down into Skyline.
Lacked grip for Salmon Run later though.
Close to 1000m of climbing and bike carrying to the top of Ben Lomond (can do first 500 on the gondola if you’re soft). Incredible run down. Did it 2 days in a row.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Currently 3 weeks into a 5 week stint in Queenstown. Rain has finally come yesterday so have some down time.

Mostly been riding Skyline, but also Cardrona, Wynard and the trails around Rude Rock.
Have Wanaka in my sights too. Yep ... total park rat. No ragrets

Last weekend was McGazza Fest which was insane to spectate. I cannot imagine spending that much time in the air.

Great place to not need a car with a wide variety of trails to have fun and improve skills on.
Heaps of great food nearby and like 5 bike stores to help you out quickly when you destroy parts.

Still in one piece touch wood

McGazza Footage:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Currently 3 weeks into a 5 week stint in Queenstown. Rain has finally come yesterday so have some down time.

Mostly been riding Skyline, but also Cardrona, Wynard and the trails around Rude Rock.
Have Wanaka in my sights too. Yep ... total park rat. No ragrets

Last weekend was McGazza Fest which was insane to spectate. I cannot imagine spending that much time in the air.

Great place to not need a car with a wide variety of trails to have fun and improve skills on.
Heaps of great food nearby and like 5 bike stores to help you out quickly when you destroy parts.

Still in one piece touch wood

McGazza Footage:
View attachment 359812

View attachment 359813

View attachment 359814

View attachment 359815

View attachment 359816
I used to like you.......

spikenet

Likes Dirt
What would Maydena be like june/july?

btw, that McGazza Fest video clip is awesome!

Last edited: