Pub Trivia - AKA things that may be beyond the scope of Moorey’s knowledge

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
wasn't there one in the Chinese Himalayas near Tibet on the drawing board?...bigger than 3Gorges!!
will take water from India and Bangladesh down stream
Don't know about the threat of war, but would imagine it would cause some regional instability

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
POSM is closest.

It's the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance dam. Egypt and Sudan are PISSED!

Not sure Ethiopia is in any state to fight a war on 2 fronts given they already have a civil war.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Both nations are to the North so really it’d just be the one front ;)

While we’re on the subject of Ethiopia.
Where were the two venues for the Live Aid concerts in 1984 and bonus points if you can tell me who played both gigs and how?

Oddjob

London and Philadelphia. I thought it was 1985?

London had a killer lineup. Queen, U2, Boomtown rats etc etc.

Philadelphia, no idea. I just remember the line up wasn't anywhere near as good and Bruce Springsteen copped some stick for not playing.

They did 17min sets over live satellite telecast, which only worked some of the time.

Last edited:

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oddjob has the answer. The bonus point answer is Phil Collins, he flew Concorde and then a chopper to get to the US concert.

BTW. My younger brother went to the Wembley concert and got to see the Queen performance live.

Last edited:

Oddjob

I'm out of clever things to ask. So I'll just go for weird.

There are some crazy methods for making dyes, including some that are poisonous. But, which one was banned in the 19th century for being inhumane, and how was it made.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia

There are some crazy methods for making dyes, including some that are poisonous. But, which one was banned in the 19th century for being inhumane, and how was it made.

I know cochineal (from a beetle) was/is frowned apon….though I think it’s still in use.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hang on... wasn't there a dye made from arsenic or cyanide? Thinking arsenic it is a bit of a chemical whore and will bond with anyone. Add copper for blue/green, sodium for an explosive yellow, etc. No idea when it stopped being used, probably still available in Alabama as a lipstick.

Oddjob

It was Indian Yellow. Made from force feeding cows mango skins and leaves and drying their urine. Apparently the cows were very malnourished and the British colonial masters banned it.

Arsenic and copper sulfate are some of the lovely poisonous ingredients in old fashioned dyes.

Happy for anyone with any interesting questions to go.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

When you think about all the things that were considered fine during the 19th C I'm surprised anything was banned.

moorey

call me Mia
Shit or get off the pot...

Who was the utter piece of human shit that was/is the subject of the Australian Podcast series, 'Teachers pet'?

moorey

call me Mia
Gina Rinehart?

Nope. He was a Rugby player (along with twin brother) who later became a teacher, having an affair with 16yo student. His wife 'disappeared', 2 days later the 16yo moved into his house and bed. 30 years later, wife's body still not found. Pretty high profile case.