Protein requirements for older riders

Riders over the age of 40 years still have significant protein requirements which may not be met by a 'normal' diet. If you are riding 3 x week and burning 1200Cal or so each ride then you will need at least 70-100 g protein/ day. Protein supplements in the form of powders and drinks, particularly whey isolates, are ideal and most can be mixed with water. This way you can have 3 x 25 g drinks / day in addition to your normal meals. Older muscle require more reparative protein than younger muscle and this should also be coupled with longer rest periods (rest days).

I hope this is of some benefit to the Vets on this forum.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
wtf is protein, i just smash a few jd and colas before a ride and gets me through just fine. Who needs food in your diet, when liquid is more fun.

Shredden

Knows his goats
wtf is protein, i just smash a few jd and colas before a ride and gets me through just fine. Who needs food in your diet, when liquid is more fun.
Reminds me of when I was out on some bush tracks behind Anglesea in my Landcruiser one Sunday afternoon. Came across a guy on an old KDX250 sitting on a stump on the side of the track. Stopped for a chat, suspected immediately he might be a little pissed. He tells me every couple of weeks he comes out for a ride, puts a 10 pack of JDs in his backpack at the start and stops every now and then for a drink. Once all 10 are gone he rides home hahaha. Said it was a nice break from the wife :eek: