Props to Stoner.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Where can you watch it after the event? Will there be a rerun on telly. I missed it. dang.
1st Stoner
2nd Lorenzo
3rd Pedrosa
7th Rossi
For others that missed it.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
I was glad to see that the rider Stoner had to pass to take the lead was Pedrosa. I was also pretty pleased to see that Rossi was passed and beaten by his old bike ridden by Spies. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens mid-pack throughout the year just as much as at the front.

You can get the BBC coverage of the race here,

https://torrentzone.net/details.php?id=1375765322

nskz

Likes Dirt
yerp missed it too. cant find anywhere on the net to watch it. anyone know where to watch it?
Replay is on at 10:45 thurs, One HD

Yep, props to Stoner, I think this season will be a 3 way battle between himself, Lorenzo (srsly who celebrates 2nd like that...douche) and Pedrosa. If Stoner stays on the bike he will mentally cripple Pedrosa and I think the Honda has an edge over the Yamaha at this stage of the season. It's very early days obviously but if Stoner stays injury free and shows the form he has on pre season testing/round 1 he should be WDC.

I think it's also worth mentioning that many people have at times under rated Stoner as a rider, myself included. You don't really hear him talked about as having the same sort of pedigree or 'talent' as Lorenzo/Pedrosa (rossi goes without saying) but the fact remains when he was at Ducati none of his team mates ever really came within a second of him. He won a WDC (should have one 3 imo) and to do that he rode that bike above and beyond the limit, as shown by the number of crashes. I could be wrong but we may be about to see a season of utter domination. Massively early call I know, but honestly I don't think it's without merit.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
If Stoner stays on the bike he will mentally cripple Pedrosa and I think the Honda has an edge over the Yamaha at this stage of the season.
Combine the above with below,

He won a WDC (should have one 3 imo) and to do that he rode that bike above and beyond the limit, as shown by the number of crashes.

Notice that almost all Stoners crashes on the Ducati were front end loses, and that all the current Ducati riders have had falls due to the front end of the Duc.

Also note that when Stoner was previously riding a Honda and crashing it was for the sattelite LCR Honda team. At the time it was the teams first year in the MotoGP class. It was LCR's best ever year in the class, they have never done better than when Stoner was riding for them. Check what position Stoner was placed in at the time of his race crashes, it was always at the pointy end.

Now consider that on the Honda he had the bike up into positions it had no business being in, and that he was dominant on the Ducati that the supposed "GOAT" could only manage a distant sixth postion on. He was riding the snot out of those nails to make them perform. Now that he is on a relatively performance packed bike he will revel in it's ability to dominate.

Now consider that Pedrosa is highly rated and has had 5 years to learn the HRC RC212V...

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I think it's also worth mentioning that many people have at times under rated Stoner as a rider, myself included. You don't really hear him talked about as having the same sort of pedigree or 'talent' as Lorenzo/Pedrosa.
The European media loves to write-off Stoner something horrid! I loved it when they slammed him, saying he was a one-hit wonder, then he won the MotoGP title! And then there is the ultra non-supportive team that was Ducati, because oh thats right Stoner is not Italian.. muppets!

Stoner may not be of the same 'pedigree' as Lorenzo and Pedrosa, but he has proven himself time and time again to be one of the most well-rounded riders about, plus in the face of countless adversities he has proven himself to be a real Aussie battler, over coming these to rise to success. He is a great competitor and ambassador to the sport and for Australia, his on camera persona is of legend. He is a considerate and friendly competitor, never taking risks to the danger of his fellow athletes, unlike Rossie and Lorenzo who constantly take dangerous risks to reach a podium finish.

Yes - im a Stoner fan!!! Go Stoner Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Dragged myself out of bed for the first race and revelled in Stoner's victory. Stoner was definitely the man to beat at Losail considering his results there and his form since switching to Honda.
Jerez is a very different style of track to Losail and is Pedrosa's and Lorenzo's home country GP; I look forward to seeing Stoner stick it to him again.
I wouldn't write off Rossi just yet, he is still rehabilitating from surgery and he and his (high number of Aussies) crew make a fine development team. I have a soft spot for Ducati and would like to see one finish on the second step of the championship; just behind Stoner.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good on Stoner it was well worth getting out of bed early for that! Provided he doesn't crash and injure himself he is a very good chance to take out the title!

However I don't think he'll run away with it, there are about 6-7 guys capable of winning races, Simoncelli is looking the goods on the satellite Honda as well!

Interestingly I read an article in a magazine a few weeks ago where Rossi and Burgess were saying they had fixed the front end issue on the Ducati and they had a bit of a dig at Stoner for not being able to rectify it! Big call but that was not evident at all in the first race where the Ducati has been the dominant bike in the past few years! It always amazes me that anyone that gets on the Ducati seems to struggle whereas Stoner was damn quick!

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Rossi has said in the past:

"90% rider, 10% bike"

Give him a bike that is a handful to ride, not equal machinery to pretty much everything else out there and see what he comes up with. Not much. Still, with his legs waving in the wind on the entry to every corner, he does use his height to good advantage by making it difficult to pass him.

I'm just thankful that when he fluked his fast start and ran waaay to wide into the first corner he didn't take anyone out.

Still, apply your formula Rossi, pretty obvious the difference on the Ducati last season to this is it not?

Great first race, Stoner controlled it start to finish, as I said earlier, very Doohan-esque he is turning out to be. Pedrosa was great sitting on his tail, so Stoner let him past, followed for a while, then blew past, ran his fastest lap, gapped the field and maintained the gap.

Going to be a very dominant season methinks. Stoner is finally on a great bike. Great rider plus great bike. Go Casey!

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
I would have liked to watch the 125s and Moto2, but the 2:55 am start time was a bridge too far.

nskz

Likes Dirt
Rossi has said in the past:

"90% rider, 10% bike"

*snip
I think that might have been the case in the past but I don't think it applies anymore, now days the bike is now a much larger percentage of the equation. I'm not saying it's like F1 where it's basically 90% car but with the traction control etc they run now you can basically tailor the engine/power delivery to be what you want, which is a massive difference to 'back in the day'.

I also think this is somewhat of a factor in the decline of Rossi's dominance, plus the fact he is getting on in years now. There are lots of differing opinions on the subject but personally I think Rossi is to date the greatest rider ever in the sport, easily. Some of the stuff he used to do was ridiculous and some of the bikes he won WDC's on were only capable of mid pack in the hands of other riders. The introduction of traction control and epic engine management brought him back to the pack, in my opinion anyway.

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that might have been the case in the past but I don't think it applies anymore, now days the bike is now a much larger percentage of the equation. I'm not saying it's like F1 where it's basically 90% car but with the traction control etc they run now you can basically tailor the engine/power delivery to be what you want, which is a massive difference to 'back in the day'.

I also think this is somewhat of a factor in the decline of Rossi's dominance, plus the fact he is getting on in years now. There are lots of differing opinions on the subject but personally I think Rossi is to date the greatest rider ever in the sport, easily. Some of the stuff he used to do was ridiculous and some of the bikes he won WDC's on were only capable of mid pack in the hands of other riders. The introduction of traction control and epic engine management brought him back to the pack, in my opinion anyway.
Couldn't agree more, Rossi by far is the greatest rider ever in the sport. I was always against Rossi, but the year that he was on the Yamaha without the pneumatic valves and still managed to be competitive; he won me over - hell his bike was down 10+kmh on the straights! Why Yamaha took so long to develop the valves is beyond me...

An old housemate used to be heavily involved with Repsol HRC the year Sete Gibernau won the title, and he absolutely loathed everything Ducati - apparently they were all "push to the very end no matter what the situation". Funny that Casey ended up getting Chronic Fatigue at Ducati, hey... Casey was oh so quick on the Ducati, but he's just that little bit more faster on the Honda.

Should be an interesting season! Hope it's a close one!

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!

Sorry, I must have missed the time he won on bikes that were only capable of midpack? Must have been that race on the 38th of Octember?

I will never take away the fact he is an amazing rider, but he has never had a bike/package that is not one of if not THE best bikes in the field, until now. Maybe back in his 125 years he may have been on more equal machinery, but c'mon, seriously? He has always been a rider of considerable talent, but take away the special overnight tyres, or favourable engine packages and he is at the same level of the riders around him.

The excuses he now comes up with through this season to explain his substandard results will be more and more fanciful, or he can always just blame his poor shoulder ;)

Great season ahead no doubt! Lorenzo and Stoner are to have some pretty serious battles this year I think!

Stoner a 'aussie battler'?

Aussie whinger, more like...

but he has never had a bike/package that is not one of if not THE best bikes in the field, until now.
I'd beg to differ, the 03/04 Yamaha was a nail.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
Sorry, I must have missed the time he won on bikes that were only capable of midpack? Must have been that race on the 38th of Octember?

I will never take away the fact he is an amazing rider, but he has never had a bike/package that is not one of if not THE best bikes in the field, until now. Maybe back in his 125 years he may have been on more equal machinery, but c'mon, seriously? He has always been a rider of considerable talent, but take away the special overnight tyres, or favourable engine packages and he is at the same level of the riders around him.

The excuses he now comes up with through this season to explain his substandard results will be more and more fanciful, or he can always just blame his poor shoulder ;)

Great season ahead no doubt! Lorenzo and Stoner are to have some pretty serious battles this year I think!
I agree with all you say, you saved me some typing.

Jerez will be one to look forward to, both spaniards are lightning quick there which will more than likely void any advantage Stoner might otherwise have. Hopefully we get a race long 3 way fight, or more like 2 bike fight in a 3 bike pack. I just hope the Yamaha can stay competetive through the year since they have less money to spend as a result of having no major sponsor.

[quote="shitbmxrider']I'd beg to differ, the 03/04 Yamaha was a nail.[/quote]

Nail, hardly. It was the second best sorted bike out of 5 and with JB working on it it was a matter of when, not if, it became the best. Especially when you consider the massive increase to funding/sponsrship $$ that followed Rossi to Yamaha.
If you want to talk about nails that year look at the talent pool of Rossi's rivals. Or you could mention the Ilmor...

But that is in the past, let's talk about the now. So if, as you say above, Rossi can turn a nail into gold, why can't he ride on a proven race winning bike?. The same bike thatwon 3 of the last 6 races last season.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Does anybody remember the young kid tearing up the track at Phillip Island as a wild card a few years back?
I don`t think Stoner is going to get it all his own way this year. Rossi and Burgess have too much experience to let the Ducati wallow around mid field for too long. The question will be, after so many seasons at the pointy end of the field, do they still have the motivation to push everything to it`s limit and beyond in order to win?
It`s going to be an interesting year, thats for sure. So much better than F1.
Can`t wait for 16th October.
Go Casey.
Cheers
MH