Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This where my father's saying always came handy.
"Have you had any problems with the money?"

That always seemed to get people to start seeing things his way.

Whoever got paid for it should be on the hook for it.
What makes it difficult is the company is in Germany and their care factor may be zero. :(:mad:

Minlak

custom titis
DHL tell me that the package has left Germany as of 11 Aug, Auspost tell me that it has not arrived in Australia. Neither are taking responsibility for the missing item. Have to read Paypal's T&Cs to work out where I stand.
Don't worry about T&C's lodge the complaint now and get it started - Resolution center or I think you can just click on the transaction and report a problem.

For the no arrive refunds I have done - You lodge complaint - the seller has "X" amount of time (7 Days I think) to reply and then PayPal decides - if the seller doesn't reply they just refund money to you.

Had 3 automatic refunds as sellers didn't reply and 1 they showed they had sent it but could not show it arrived.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Package finally arrived today, over two months since I ordered the parts.

I can now also see why I was slugged an extra $40 for the bulky item - have a go at the size of the fucking box HiBike put my rims in - you could fit like 30 fucking rims in there with room to spare (and the packing was shithouse, by the time it arrived the box was torn and the rims were poking out the side of the box.):

LPG

likes thicc birds
The(Zee) German's have the best range by far but they haven't mastered packaging things to get things to Australia reliably. It seems to be a matter of throwing it in any box that fits and send it on its merry way without packing material or similar. I had 4 different bundles of Spokes, a couple little bags of Nipples and other bits and pieces in a box similar size to that with rims. The edge of the box wasn't taped on the bottom so I lost half the spokes and nipples through the opening. It would have taken all of 8 seconds to put all the Spokes and small bits in a single bag and tape it shut, tape tape box properly shut or just tape all the spokes into one bundle and similar with the other small stuff.

If it wasnt for the awesome range of wheel parts (as opposed to complete wheels), Magura brakes and small spare components that they keep in stock reliably I would go local/elsewhere.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

etc., etc.

So I moved into build phase yesterday, with a garage full of blokes doing beer..., which may have been a bit of a distraction.

The bars and stem are just for the time being, to measure up the cockpit. The Raceface Turbine cranks are on for the same reason, as I can't find my tool to undo those little plastic caps on the (older) XT cranks.

I also have to get the spacer for the hub (which is at the bike shop). I ordered the wrong seatpost clamp, so have to get another one of those before I can set the seat properly. Derailleur and associated faff has to go on as does rear brake. The front rotor is pressing hard on the pad/caliper, so I might have to shim that out a little. The rear Maxle is the wrong size - I have a 180 when I need a 174X12 but have a 180X12 (have to go back and check whether I ordered the wrong one or was sent the wrong size).

So far:
Frame: Pyga Hyrax large
Rear Shock: RS Deluxe RT3
Fork: RS Lyrik Ultimate
Rims: DT Swiss R-EX511, F-XM-481 29" both
Hubs: Hope Pro 4
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Nipples: DT Swiss
Tyres: F-Maxxis High Roller, R-Maxxis Ardent
Seatpost: PNW Loam dropper
Dropper leaver: PNW Loam
Bar: undecided
Stem: undecided
Grips: Cant remember what I've bought
Seat: Funn something or other, it was black and red, which was the most important element
Pedals: Can't remember what I've bought, HT Industries, something or other...
Cranks: undecided, might recycle Shimano XTs from previous bike
Chainring: undecided
Brakes: undecided, might recycle Shimano XTs from previous bike
Rotors: Shimano XT - F-203, R-180 (sorry @droenn got those sizes wrong yesterday)
Derailleur/selector: Shimano XT Shadow 10 speed from previous bike - I still have a bunch of spares and don't feel the need to jump to 11sp
Cassette: Shimano XT

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nice build, you might want to flip those rotors around the right way.
That's what I thought too (and would explain the reason why the front rotor is up against the pad), but one of the faces of the rotor is shaped to fit snugly with the hub interface whilst the other side is circular. The confusion this created last night was the decision maker in me calling it an evening and not drinking anymore beer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's what I thought too (and would explain the reason why the front rotor is up against the pad), but one of the faces of the rotor is shaped to fit snugly with the hub interface whilst the other side is circular. The confusion this created last night was the decision maker in me calling it an evening and not drinking anymore beer.

View attachment 384719
View attachment 384720
Yeah, the protruding pattern is a bit deceiving, the writing to the outside and the spider arms slope the other way into the brake caliper on forward rotation.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@Flow-Rider beat me too it…

View attachment 384719
View attachment 384720
Branding goes towards the outside. You can see the direction of rotation arrow etched onto the rotor here (bottom right-ish):

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its getting there @johnny, looking forward to seeing it finished (it will be so worth it) and will be keen to see how it rides compared to the Prime (which is similar in lot of ways, except a bit longer out the back)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Purchased:
Wolftooth stop-drop chainring
Wolftooth seat clamp (38.6mm - the seat tube measures more like 39mm, might be a tight fit...)
Sram Maxle ultimate, 12X148 74mm
Total: $250

So far, I have purchased the wrong:
front hub (Hope Pro 4, 100mm if anyone wants it)
rear axle (Sram Maxle 12X148 80mm if anyone is in the market for one)
Seat Clamp (can't recall the brand, but it's red)
Total: $300 of incorrect purchases made in haste and not thinking shit through properly. Fucking idiot.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Its getting there @johnny, looking forward to seeing it finished (it will be so worth it) and will be keen to see how it rides compared to the Prime (which is similar in lot of ways, except a bit longer out the back)

View attachment 384733
It would be really interesting to swap bikes for a quick spin to compare, particularly the chainstay/WB differences.

I'm done waiting for this build to be complete, want it trailworthy now.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dropper remote mount doesn't fit on my older XT brake levers. Bar clamp adapter out of stock.

I'm so over this build. Supposed to be an enjoyable and exciting process, but this has just been frustrating and shit.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Dropper remote mount doesn't fit on my older XT brake levers. Bar clamp adapter out of stock.

I'm so over this build. Supposed to be an enjoyable and exciting process, but this has just been frustrating and shit.
I've got a nice Ztto lever with a bar mount you can have, I may even have an adaptor you could use for your current remote. Send me a pic of your remote and I'll see what I have.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Breathe in through the nose....and out through the mouth.....Repeat.
The bike is looking fantastic. You will get there.
I hear your frustrations, but don’t let them blur the fact that you will have a schmik bike at the end of the process.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Are they the M785 XT brakes, 8000, or 8120?