Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If carbon bars are in the plans, I’m starting to go cold on the new fad for tiny bar clamps like the Spank Split. It’s a tiny weight saving compared to a full clamp.

Something with a full clamp treats the carbon bars a whole lot nicer. While I’ve picked an expensive hope, there are others out there with less silly prices. But hope stems are beautiful.

Teasing prices, if only they made a green one to match my hubs instead of using green to highlight the selection.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hey @johnny, if you're interested at all, I've got a Joystick Binary, cr-mo rails, saddle in black and red flavour. I bought it for the colours and cool 8-bit graphic, but it is not suited to my anatomy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How's the stem/bar height feel with the saddle dropped/when descending? (Too early to know is also an possible answer...)
I think it was ok. It was definitely fine when climbing. But yes, too early to properly know yet.

Hey @johnny, if you're interested at all, I've got a Joystick Binary, cr-mo rails, saddle in black and red flavour. I bought it for the colours and cool 8-bit graphic, but it is not suited to my anatomy.
Dang, that IS a kick arse seat - pun intended! I don't need it, but I do like it! What is it worth to you?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've got a few stems and bars kicking around so your welcome to borrow them to try different lengths and heights before committing to buying anything else.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That seat will be on the Hyrax soon.

Went for another ride today, shifted the seat back as much as I reasonably can. It made a bit of difference but didn't fix the problem. It's not just that weight is on the hands, it's also that I feel a little too stretched out. So I'll trial a shorter stem, by a couple of mil and see how that goes.

@beeb do you know of any good webpages that explain seating position and sizing (particularly of components) for the green reader?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb do you know of any good webpages that explain seating position and sizing (particularly of components) for the green reader?
Sadly not, it’s just been trial and error for me. You can try raising the bars up as well, but that will change your descending position too. You might like/dislike it but worth a shot. But @Litenbror has got you covered, just have to try some different setups and see what works for you.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'll dig the stems and bars out tomorrow and put them out for you to pick up. Isolating at the moment so I'll make sure to give them a thorough spray down with isopropyl for you.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This bike is a menace to all hills.

Seriously, even if you've just got the word hill in your surname I'd be nervous. I just took it for a run up some steep - lowest gear climbs on single track and fire trail and it was fucking ferocious.

It did raise some questions about using a shorter stem, though. I feel that when climbing, especially the steeper stuff, I'd begin to feel cramped if I brought things back much more than a few mil. I've yet to do much downward pointing stuff, but if that feels fine, I might just learn to live with the bit of awkwardness I feel when riding on flat ground (especially given that that type of terrain won't be all the common when on the trails).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It rides at last. Looks awesome !

It did raise some questions about using a shorter stem, though. I feel that when climbing, especially the steeper stuff, I'd begin to feel cramped if I brought things back much more than a few mil.
Have a play around with the stem spacers, flipping the stem and roll your riser bars forward a bit.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It rides at last. Looks awesome !

Have a play around with the stem spacers, flipping the stem and roll your riser bars forward a bit.
The problem is that I feel like I'm reaching too far and have too much weight on my hands when riding on flat ground. Climbing feels spot on, so I'm concerned that if I change anything - such as using a shorter stem, I'd make climbing uncomfortable. I might borrow a 45mmish stem and give it a run to see what it feels like. But there's a chance that I'll just stick with the 50mm yet.

Minlak

custom titis
The problem is that I feel like I'm reaching too far and have too much weight on my hands when riding on flat ground. Climbing feels spot on, so I'm concerned that if I change anything - such as using a shorter stem, I'd make climbing uncomfortable. I might borrow a 45mmish stem and give it a run to see what it feels like. But there's a chance that I'll just stick with the 50mm yet.
Install the dropper stem Just jbweld an allen key onto it

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am unsure of your previous bikes, but is this one of the first modern bikes you have had?
The Slack HA and Steep Seat tube bikes tend to feel a little ordinary on flats, particularly if you are new to that geo

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I am unsure of your previous bikes, but is this one of the first modern bikes you have had?
The Slack HA and Steep Seat tube bikes tend to feel a little ordinary on flats, particularly if you are new to that geo
Yep, just come off a 2013 Remedy 26er that had a relatively tight HA. So this is all new to me.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, just come off a 2013 Remedy 26er that had a relatively tight HA. So this is all new to me.
They are designed around being good at either end of the spectrum, the middle ground (literally) is not as highly considered - Even though it would be the largest percentage of riding for most people.

moorey

call me Mia
They are designed around being good at either end of the spectrum, the middle ground (literally) is not as highly considered - Even though it would be the largest percentage of riding for most people.
I dunno about that. Bikes are more versatile than ever, but they can't excel at everything. You just have to ride them differently.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It does take some getting used to... The Orange is very much new school steep ST and slack HA and it has some odd handling quirks that feel all kinds of wrong until you get used to them.

slowmick

38-39"
If the seat tube angle has become steeper you are now higher off the ground. To counter this do you make the bars higher or reduce the top tube length so that hands follow an arc down and back? Or just bend forward more?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sometimes shortening the stem makes things worse if you can't sit further back as your weight ends up even more on your hands. How's the stem/bar height feel with the saddle dropped/when descending? (Too early to know is also an possible answer...)
The more I ride the bike the better I understand the problem. It's not that I'm reaching too far forward, indeed, a longer stem would be even more comfy. And that means, as you've said above, that it's my body that's actually tilted forward, which distributes weight differently. Bringing the bars back towards me will likely make me feel cramped, it's the seat that has to go backward, but that's already as far back as it can go. So it's basically just getting used to the new geo and aiming for trails that have more ups and downs than flats!