Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Slap the head on and torque it IMO.
I've built a Holden red motor this way..
1200 grit the block and head.
Copper head gasket..
Torque the head with 1/2" drive rattle gun and 5 ugga duggas on each bolt and push 25 boooosts into it .
20000 k of abuse and only the rocker cover leaked oil which they do at the best of times..

Edit, block was o-rings and drilled for through bolts to a crank cradle.. some other mods too

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've built a Holden red motor this way..
1200 grit the block and head.
Copper head gasket..
Torque the head with 1/2" drive rattle gun and 5 ugga duggas on each bolt and push 25 boooosts into it .
20000 k of abuse and only the rocker cover leaked oil which they do at the best of times..

Edit, block was o-rings and drilled for through bolts to a crank cradle.. some other mods too
Those old things are pretty hard to get wrong :) Although getting the oil pump to suck after a rebuild is a PITA…

latheboy

Likes Dirt
This one had a remote oil pump so a pistol drill on the pulley sorted that out.. but it was also primed first.
Stock one, I pulled down 3 times thinking I'd done something wrong before I got pressure..

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This one had a remote oil pump so a pistol drill on the pulley sorted that out.. but it was also primed first.
Stock one, I pulled down 3 times thinking I'd done something wrong before I got pressure..
I just did the packing the pump gears with grease trick on the red motor I rebuilt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I just did the packing the pump gears with grease trick on the red motor I rebuilt.
The holden sixes had really bad clearances in the oil pumps, when you rebuild them you need to blueprint them. If you need to prime them just fill them through the oil sender hole with an oil can.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The holden sixes had really bad clearances in the oil pumps, when you rebuild them you need to blueprint them. If you need to prime them just fill them through the oil sender hole with an oil can.

Hmm, this was nearly 30 years ago when I did and there have been a lot of questionable life choices since so memory is fuzzy - but I think I tried that a few times with a nervous few seconds of it starting with the light not going out. So resorted to the nuclear method of grease. Something like that…

I do remember swearing at it and wondering why such a shit design made it into production.

I do however vividly remember nearly killing myself on the test drive by expecting a drum braked EH wagon to slow down the same as 4 wheel disc P6 Rover that was daily in those days.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Hmm, this was nearly 30 years ago when I did and there have been a lot of questionable life choices since so memory is fuzzy - but I think I tried that a few times with a nervous few seconds of it starting with the light not going out. So resorted to the nuclear method of grease. Something like that…

I do remember swearing at it and wondering why such a shit design made it into production.

I do however vividly remember nearly killing myself on the test drive by expecting a drum braked EH wagon to slow down the same as 4 wheel disc P6 Rover that was daily in those days.
You got to wait for the air to bleed out, if you do it too fast it compresses the air and then spits oil back out at you.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Now I’m no diesel expert (except when I’m hating on them of course ;) ), but 7% improvement in fuel efficiency doesn’t equal 50%+ reduction in emissions…. Any you diesel guys come across this stuff before?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Now I’m no diesel expert (except when I’m hating on them of course ;) ), but 7% improvement in fuel efficiency doesn’t equal 50%+ reduction in emissions…. Any you diesel guys come across this stuff before?

Depends on what the emissions are. I thought things like NoX and ozone had a high COE.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Bear in mind that this is for big trucks...where small improvements is big gains. It's not consumer diesel where most of us operate...