Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Small flat stone. A wee bit of oil. Just rub it over and back in a random motion. Do you own a scraper? A proper machinists scraper not a fucking rip the wallpaper off the roof scraper. Buy one of the former too because you wont have a stone either will you?

I have some of these I picked up in Japon but didn't pay anything like this...
Suehiro Japanese Whetstone | Multi Stone Multi Shape (GDS-66W) – ProTooling

Maybe something like this...
Suehiro Whetstone Accessories | NGR-30 Nagura Stone (3000-8000) – ProTooling

ES/HR/4 GROZ ENGINEERS HAND SCRAPER, HALF ROUND 100MM - GZ-14601 - ITM Industrial Tool & Machinery Sales

Flat scraper would work too but you have to have the experience with it not to gouge the crap out of the top.
I do have an old but good wet stone around somewhere. No “proper” scraper, been meaning to get one for years…
I was intending on doing a minimum clean up job on this, brake cleaner and scotchbrite.
But looks like a more serious whole deck clean is in order.
Other idea was 800 emery on a large flat something.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I do have an old but good wet stone around somewhere. No “proper” scraper, been meaning to get one for years…
I was intending on doing a minimum clean up job on this, brake cleaner and scotchbrite.
But looks like a more serious whole deck clean is in order.
Other idea was 800 emery on a large flat something.
Glass but finer than 800.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If the valves have touched anything they will most likely be bent and if the valves springs are strong enough it will be almost impossible to tell without removing the valves.
All 8 exhaust valves very very bent ;) Pretty easy to replace and new valves are quite cheap for these engines, but I just got another head from a self serve wreckers for $90 and had it cleaned and refaced ;) If this car was a keeper I’d put new valves in and recondition the head though.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
All 8 exhaust valves very very bent ;) Pretty easy to replace and new valves are quite cheap for these engines, but I just got another head from a self serve wreckers for $90 and had it cleaned and refaced ;) If this car was a keeper I’d put new valves in and recondition the head though.View attachment 392267
What a debacle, hard to believe we used this primitive technology for so long.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Was intending to just book with these guys, but they have a no refund policy. At all - so even if the track was closed and I had turned up on time - no refund. Well, they offer a credit for another day but thats of zero use to me!
I would never attempt a lap myself when there are many experts there that know what they are doing.

The only way to enjoy driving yourself would be if you were actually an experienced track racer, or could afford to blow ~$40k having fun. And you still won't go anywhere near as fast as the pro in either scenario.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I would never attempt a lap myself when there are many experts there that know what they are doing.

The only way to enjoy driving yourself would be if you were actually an experienced track racer, or could afford to blow ~$40k having fun. And you still won't go anywhere near as fast as the pro in either scenario.
Yeah, happy to go as a passenger. Just need to look at the other taxi/hire places there and find one that wont leave me 400 euros out of pocket should i turn up and the track is closed for whatever

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not my project but #2 was looking for a cheap commuter, preferably something a little playful. Given the number of XR4s that have been through our various hands and the two in the fold that are not able to be registered an XR4 was high on the list. Mostly these command silly money under current circumstances but he picked this up for the price of a cracked yeti.

A bit to do and it has quite a lot of km but the paint was redone a few years ago and paint was a real problem from the factory with all the colours fading badly. So the body is 100%. Replaced two cracked lenses that had let water in and corroded the bulbs. Plenty of parts available from the spare chassis and track car horde to fix trim stuffs. It needs tyres and the wheels are very ordinary however things are looking up. Some Sparco Assetto Garas on their way in 16x7 to allow the car to run 45 profile semi slick rubber, a spare set of Recaros are going in the front and a few more tidy ups like a headlight polish. Then it will get the Mondeo ST170 front brake change to take it from a 280mm rotor to a 305mm rotor that I did on the track car as well as some strut and rear suspension bracing and some more betterer dampers and there are some Pedders lowered springs in the parts bin too. Extractors and inlet and perhaps a slightly louder but legal exhaust. Power steering cooler and reservoir relocation on the cards as well. So much for a cheap commuter, though after all that it will still only be a $6 or 7k investment but I doubt this will ever be sold.

And I hear @Cardy George ask: Didn't he have a spare crate duratec engine? Yes, it will be getting some new cams and ITBs and when this engine dies might find its way in here. Oh and the mps 6 speed and lsd that currently is sitting looking for a home but that will require a bit more work on the front and a proper brake upgrade front and rear.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Not my project but #2 was looking for a cheap commuter, preferably something a little playful. Given the number of XR4s that have been through our various hands and the two in the fold that are not able to be registered an XR4 was high on the list. Mostly these command silly money under current circumstances but he picked this up for the price of a cracked yeti.

A bit to do and it has quite a lot of km but the paint was redone a few years ago and paint was a real problem from the factory with all the colours fading badly. So the body is 100%. Replaced two cracked lenses that had let water in and corroded the bulbs. Plenty of parts available from the spare chassis and track car horde to fix trim stuffs. It needs tyres and the wheels are very ordinary however things are looking up. Some Sparco Assetto Garas on their way in 16x7 to allow the car to run 45 profile semi slick rubber, a spare set of Recaros are going in the front and a few more tidy ups like a headlight polish. Then it will get the Mondeo ST170 front brake change to take it from a 280mm rotor to a 305mm rotor that I did on the track car as well as some strut and rear suspension bracing and some more betterer dampers and there are some Pedders lowered springs in the parts bin too. Extractors and inlet and perhaps a slightly louder but legal exhaust. Power steering cooler and reservoir relocation on the cards as well. So much for a cheap commuter, though after all that it will still only be a $6 or 7k investment but I doubt this will ever be sold.

And I hear @Cardy George ask: Didn't he have a spare crate duratec engine? Yes, it will be getting some new cams and ITBs and when this engine dies might find its way in here. Oh and the mps 6 speed and lsd that currently is sitting looking for a home but that will require a bit more work on the front and a proper brake upgrade front and rear.
I did? Oh yeah, I did....... Gotta start paying attention to what falls out my mouth......

Sounds like my kind of shopping trolley though!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Well I won’t be booking anything for the Nurburgring… No refunds if the track is closed on the day or the car is out of action!! I shit you not. I would get a credit for another day only which is worthless for me and they won’t refund. So given the track is often randomly closed, I don’t really feel like throwing that much money out the window….

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well I won’t be booking anything for the Nurburgring… No refunds if the track is closed on the day or the car is out of action!! I shit you not. I would get a credit for another day only which is worthless for me and they won’t refund. So given the track is often randomly closed, I don’t really feel like throwing that much money out the window….
How far in advance do you need to book? Rock up on the day and see if you can share the cost with some random axe murderer taking their van out? Anyway lots of vantage points to watch from. That is great too.

Cast a new top mount for the xr4. Sadly the mould release agent didn't on one corner. Mount is fine it is only cosmetic, will see if it bothers me enough to tidy it up when it comes out of the jig... the air bubbles are because this is just poured and before they rise and are nuked. A few air pockets are useful as they soften the mount.