Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Jax in Prahan. Yeah, there was a 4 for 3 special on Eagle F1s… And Prahan was convenient after getting off the ferry and heading north… Ended up being half the price of PS5, but they were going to be from the tyre shop in Ringwood I’ve been using for years who is a fellow renault nut and wouldn’t have messed up the rims…
Does it look like a recent paint scrape? Hard to see with that pic but it looks old and corroded. You could carefully touch it up with a touchup brush if you are pedantic.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Uh, I've done something really stupid. In fact, this should probably be in the fuckwit thread.

I've been waiting for the Model Y Long Range to launch in Australia as I think it will perfectly suit my family. However, there is no known arrival date and when it does arrive it'll have a 9-12 month waiting period for delivery.

Until then I've bought my last ICE car. I thought I would go out with a bang and buy something that I've always wanted, but also knew it wouldn't be sensible to own for more than a few years. What better way to transition to the future than with a high mileage Land Rover with some known issues. It is a 2012 Range Rover Sport with the old boxy style that I've always loved which I picked up privately for a great price... suspicious.

I bought this in Sydney and drove it back to Melbourne yesterday and it was pretty much flawless on the drive. I was half expecting it to explode on the 900km trip, so I was pleasantly surprised to arrive without a single check engine light. But it has a few things that need to be fixed so it'll be a fun project car for a year or two.

View attachment 391618

The first thing I need to fix is to get rid of the black 22 inch rims because I'm definitely not a drug dealer. I think it has an air suspension leak as this morning it seemed to have sunk, or being lowered by some nocturnal hoodlums in the street.

It was surprisingly efficient on the highway, with the diesel engine managing 8.3L/100km for the trip. Not a bad effort for an aesthetically pleasing but aerodynamically disappointing 10 year old 2500kg brick.

View attachment 391619

Preparing for some Land Rover jokes. I'll start.

If you want to make a little bit of money, start with a lot of money and buy a Land Rover.

If you want to go somewhere remote buy a Land Rover, it you want to come back buy a Toyota.
Bloody hell, Yeti's and now Rangies...sucker for punishment.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Does it look like a recent paint scrape? Hard to see with that pic but it looks old and corroded. You could carefully touch it up with a touchup brush if you are pedantic.
It’s not super noticeable, it’s just the sloppiness that pisses me off.

It’s the identical gouge on every rim. It’s been done when he pulled the valves out… I’d have preferred he left the OEM valves in frankly, I’m sure I’ve got super cheap Chinese ones in now!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
IMG_20220725_172541275~2.jpg

This has been a project that started out as the annual winter service with the bonus of new injectors. Scope creep has meant that there's now a replacement upper timing cover, new main shaft seal and o-ring, new rocker cover gasket, new axle pivot bushes, shed repaired pivot pins, new front spindle assemblies, new inner hub seals, new custom made coolant pipe, new radiator drain plug, new diesel heater plug, many new bolts and split washers and a few other shenanigans. I bloody well hope it starts (and leaks less fluids)...when it's finished...

I've never had a project car before. Now I don't want one!!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
View attachment 391666
This has been a project that started out as the annual winter service with the bonus of new injectors. Scope creep has meant that there's now a replacement upper timing cover, new main shaft seal and o-ring, new rocker cover gasket, new axle pivot bushes, shed repaired pivot pins, new front spindle assemblies, new inner hub seals, new custom made coolant pipe, new radiator drain plug, new diesel heater plug, many new bolts and split washers and a few other shenanigans. I bloody well hope it starts (and leaks less fluids)...when it's finished...

What is it? Massey?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
View attachment 391666

The other two spare tractors still work right, if this girl doesn’t?

You did well hiding the beer empties before the photo

silentbutdeadly

The other two spare tractors still work right, if this girl doesn’t?

You did well hiding the beer empties before the photo
Ah yeah...no spare tractors here. There is a MF40 industrial tractor (loader +excavator) but it hasn't got accessible PTO...so it's useless for anything other than making a mess.

I don't even have a beer fridge in the shed!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
New-ish...on the back wheels. That was the deal of the hand over a few years ago. The front tyres however...they are brand new. Still haven't been used.View attachment 391674 As a bonus... Australian made cast iron wheels. Each wheel and tyre combination weighs in close to 120 kilograms. Can not recommend...
Sounds a bit hefty for a down country build.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
New-ish...on the back wheels. That was the deal of the hand over a few years ago. The front tyres however...they are brand new. Still haven't been used.View attachment 391674 As a bonus... Australian made cast iron wheels. Each wheel and tyre combination weighs in close to 120 kilograms. Can not recommend...
BIL just replaced the rear rubber on 3 tractors and front on one of those (fwa). Very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Before I was a teenager, my virginal driving hours commenced in a MF68 with no roll bar, and no cabin, distributing hay to the stock.

Then in my teenage years I progressed into a MF 168 with front forks and a really challenging gearbox.

Took me two hours tonight work out it was a 168 from the photos. The 168 was quite rare it appears. Didn’t know it was a 168 till now, as in true MF fashion, the hood (bonnet?, for some reason I always called it a hood on a tractor) decorations had fallen off.

Back in 2019 I found this exact tractor, that had been my grandfathers 168, at auction going cheap. Having nowhere to store it, my mothers immediate words after hearing “I found pops tractor at auction” was “nooooooooooooo you’re not buying it and storing It here or your aunties house, don’t even think about it”.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

BIL just replaced the rear rubber on 3 tractors and front on one of those (fwa). Very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Something like $900 each for the rear tyres but the fronts are kind of cheap. The 7.50R16 tri-ribs pictured were 'only' $265 each...cheaper than the tyres on the farm ute!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Before I was a teenager, my virginal driving hours commenced in a MF68 with no roll bar, and no cabin distributing hay to the stock.

Then in my teenage years I progressed into a MF 168 with front forks and a really challenging gearbox.

Took me two hours tonight work out it was a 168 from the photos. The 168 was quite rare it appears. Didn’t know it was a 168 till now, as in true MF fashion, the hood (bonnet?, for some reason I always called it a hood on a tractor) decorations had fallen off.

Back in 2019 I found this exact tractor, that had been my grandfathers 168, at auction going cheap. Having no where to store it, my mothers immediate words after hearing “I found pops tractor at auction” was “nooooooooooooo you’re not buying it and storing It here or your aunties house, don’t even think about it”.
Ha! I learned to use a landplane with 168 with multipower transmission.

silentbutdeadly

Before I was a teenager, my virginal driving hours commenced in a MF68 with no roll bar, and no cabin distributing hay to the stock.

Back in 2019 I found this exact tractor, that had been my grandfathers 168, at auction going cheap. Having no where to store it, my mothers immediate words after hearing “I found pops tractor at auction” was “nooooooooooooo you’re not buying it and storing It here or your aunties house, don’t even think about it”.
This one dates from the early 1960s so it's a little bit older than I am. How we compare on infirmity is... questionable. At least, it has more new parts than I do...

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Go drag racing they said, it's super fun they said...
Well it is until the oil comes out and the rebuild gets out of hand.
FB_IMG_1648339763067.jpg

Short wheelbase with the vfr800 swingarm and ran 10.2 @140mph and wheel spin into 3rd
Valve cover lifted and the oil got out so parked it up.
Fix motor and get myself 8inches cause everyone wants 8 inches..
received_1378957125912863.jpeg

New swinger, +8" over last wheelbase. Need to finish the New exhaust and remove anything that's not needed but keep it roadworthy
Aiming for low 9's on a 1989 750cc .. turbo helps haha