Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pistons are ok, so I’ll just get another head from pickapart next week in Melbourne. Although would only be $500 or so to put new exhaust valves in and have them installed etc by a machine shop.

You want to make sure the ring lands aren't crushed.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looks like piston has hit the head too, top cylinder of head, see rhs how carbon pattern doesn’t match other three. Looks like piston rocked in the bore enough to swipe some of the carbon deposits off.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm getting a bike itch. Last bike a few years ago was a modded Ninja 1000. Now THAT was fun. But I'm thinking a KTM 690 Duke R might be a lot of fun on the twistys to get to work in summer.......
No street triple?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Looks like piston has hit the head too, top cylinder of head, see rhs how carbon pattern doesn’t match other three. Looks like piston rocked in the bore enough to swipe some of the carbon deposits off.
Thankfully that’s a trick of the light in the photo!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lucky, could have looked like this.
I was 95% sure I wouldn’t be faced with that, and luckily I was right. These Renault engines don’t tend to damage pistons when there is a timing failure, nor the heads either. A set of valves is usually all that’s needed.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
They certainly look like fun. Is a triple more like a V Twin or a inline 4 in motor characteristics?
the only twin I can compare it to is an old 2006 honda VTR1000F, and a Varadero, so not apples to apples. Fuck me how awesome are firestorms though! V twin carb goodness. Not an SP1/2 though sadly, I wouldn’t have given it back if it was.

More torque than similiar cc inline 4’s though. Much nicer on road, nothing like a bloody R6 that you need to wind out like a 125mx bike.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Firestorms/superhawks nah. Had one, carbs were like throwing money into the air.
Then had a Cagiva Raptor. Everybody looked at it when parked. After frame, radiator replacements and wiring repairs I sold it.
Then SV1000 nekked; nobody ever looked at it but it rode best of the three.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Firestorms/superhawks nah. Had one, carbs were like throwing money into the air.
Then had a Cagiva Raptor. Everybody looked at it when parked. After frame, radiator replacements and wiring repairs I sold it.
Then SV1000 nekked; nobody ever looked at it but it rode best of the three.
Had a TL1000S. Awesome bike. Crap rear suspension until I got rid of the proprietary rotary damper and fitted a Bitubo suspension unit. My favourite engine by far. I miss the V Twin torque....

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
They certainly look like fun. Is a triple more like a V Twin or a inline 4 in motor characteristics?
Like neither really… and I’m talking about 90 degree VTwins (proper motors ) … the triples don’t have the low end urge of a VTwin but have more than a four, but wind out more like a four, but not as much at the top like a four. Huge generalisation but given similar tuning spec, they are pretty tractable and responsive across the rev range. Id rather ride a triple than a four, but a 90 degree VTwin is my preferred engine by far.