Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
…and heavy vehicles too.

Worst I’ve ever seen was a “carni” (carnival/fairground ride transport) truck. In the rear engine mounts, there was meant to be 3x long 14mm bolts holding the engine brackets to each mount. There was one 10mm Bunnings cheese-spec bolt in one mount.

They’d driven it in due to a “noise from under the truck”:
View attachment 390596

From memory they paid for the uni joint (after a lot of arguing), but refused to pay for the engine mount bolts as we “were just picking things that aren’t worth worrying about” (despite us explaining that there was only the front engine mount rubber and one 10mm bolt holding half a tonne of engine and gearbox in). I think we wore a set of bolts and fitted them to the engine mount holes that still had threads left just to try and stop them killing someone.

And these were (probably still are) the people that maintain fairground rides that people stick their kids on… :oops:
You are smashing my false belief the Cletus Spuckler of the travelling carni’s is walking around with the 300 page SWMS and stopping his fellow carni’s when they mess up?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You are smashing my false belief the Cletus Spuckler of the travelling carni’s is walking around with the 300 page SWMS and stopping his fellow carni’s when they mess up?

Yeah, I mean I expected it to be a bit rough - but it was just obvious, deliberate neglect everywhere you looked on the thing.

MasterOfReality

After forever
A few months ago got the bogan chariot out, to find out it wouldn't change gears properly, basically undriveable. A bit of investigation revealed the kickdown cable had snapped off the throttle body. It still had a host of small niggly issues that I was putting off, these were what made me park it up back in 2008 and forget about it, hoping they would go away ha.

So went fuck it, time to bite the bullet and get it sorted once and for all.

After a few weeks the workshop sent me a list of everything they found. Most I knew about, and others they found the causes of issues that had stumped mechanics earlier, and the rest are general service items:
  • AC service & re-gas (prob has a leak somewhere)
  • AC drain tube repair (the water in the passenger footwell pissed me off for years and nobody could find the cause)
  • Steering rack boot replacement
  • Transmission service
  • Repair tail light harness
  • Replace upper strut top mounts
  • Replace fuel tank breather hoses. These were fucked anyway, pretty common, and I said whilst the tank is out please send it away to get cleaned, as it was sitting for the best part of a decade.
  • Replace leaking welch plugs, so might has well replace the starter motor as well since its gotta come out.
  • Replace intake manifold and exhaust gaskets due to leaks.
Just had the diff rebuilt with a truetrac lsd centre and 3.9 gears to give it a bit of extra go off the line. Plans are for a 355 stroker later on so would like the drivetrain sorted first. Next step is getting the auto beefed up and a set of decent brakes.

So a bit of $$$$ spent, but should be good for the next 30 years haha.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A few months ago got the bogan chariot out, to find out it wouldn't change gears properly, basically undriveable. A bit of investigation revealed the kickdown cable had snapped off the throttle body. It still had a host of small niggly issues that I was putting off, these were what made me park it up back in 2008 and forget about it, hoping they would go away ha.

So went fuck it, time to bite the bullet and get it sorted once and for all.
After a few weeks the workshop sent me a list of everything they found. Most I knew about, and others they found the causes of issues that had stumped mechanics earlier, and the rest are general service items:
  • AC service & re-gas (prob has a leak somewhere)
  • AC drain tube repair (the water in the passenger footwell pissed me off for years and nobody could find the cause)
  • Steering rack boot replacement
  • Transmission service
  • Repair tail light harness
  • Replace upper strut top mounts
  • Replace fuel tank breather hoses. These were fucked anyway, pretty common, and I said whilst the tank is out please send it away to get cleaned, as it was sitting for the best part of a decade.
  • Replace leaking welch plugs, so might has well replace the starter motor as well since its gotta come out.
  • Replace intake manifold and exhaust gaskets due to leaks.
Just had the diff rebuilt with a truetrac lsd centre and 3.9 gears to give it a bit of extra go off the line. Plans are for a 355 stroker later on so would like the drivetrain sorted first. Next step is getting the auto beefed up and a set of decent brakes.

So a bit of $$$$ spent, but should be good for the next 30 years haha.
FYI - Not a wise move posting pics of valuable cars with rego plates unobscured.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

crash3

Likes Dirt
That active aero is something else. Love seeing retro builds like that.

On the topic of projects, I was ->| |<- this close to buying a running Suzuki Across 250 4 cylinder this weekend. Someone got there before me. Gah!
Probably for the best though, got enough projects already.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That active aero is something else. Love seeing retro builds like that.

On the topic of projects, I was ->| |<- this close to buying a running Suzuki Across 250 4 cylinder this weekend. Someone got there before me. Gah!
Probably for the best though, got enough projects already.
Mate of mine had one when they were new, very nice thing. He swapped it for a GSX-R in fairly short order though!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You actually paid for it?
lol yes. a nominal amount... Its absolutely mint, is a pretty easy fix and will make me a few grand to throw towards house renos.

But a 2007 model that had never had its timing belt changed... It made it to 105K kms and 11 year overdue before it let go, so it did well hanging in that long. Owners had no clue, relying on their "mechanic" to service it.

But they just bend the valves and dont mangle pistons or anything. Set of new valves, some gaskets and a timing kit is about $500 all in and a couple of days work.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
lol yes. a nominal amount... Its absolutely mint, is a pretty easy fix and will make me a few grand to throw towards house renos.

But a 2007 model that had never had its timing belt changed... It made it to 105K kms and 11 year overdue before it let go, so it did well hanging in that long. Owners had no clue, relying on their "mechanic" to service it.

But they just bend the valves and dont mangle pistons or anything. Set of new valves, some gaskets and a timing kit is about $500 all in and a couple of days work.
Your promises of on time, on budget are very government like