Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Soooo turns out taking the baffle out of the exhaust was a genius move!!!
Went for a run today and on the dam road where the gears are low and the revs are high it has a wonderous burble and cackle when rolling off the throttle. Found my self downshifting at all the intersections on todays ride just to hear the exhaust.

View attachment 380110
Hardly a Ninji move though...

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Holy shit, that's sexy as. What motor?
Cheers! Its a 2L B series, bottom end originally from a CRV and head from an Integra Type R.

Great photos.

Mate in Adelaide has an EK VTEC 1.6 track car that he's poured a lot of time, love and defection notices into.
Yep sounds like a familiar story. Funny enough i was actually pulled over on a test drive the other day, the car was in 'race' mode so wing and everything. Because the car is all engineered i showed him the paperwork and he was happy and let me go. He was actually a legend. I feel like police are a lot more leanient these days as the cars get older and less common.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yes! For me, nothing beats that B-series engine note. I'm sure the bonus torque of the 2 litre's extra capacity would be fun too. Very cool.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Yes! For me, nothing beats that B-series engine note. I'm sure the bonus torque of the 2 litre's extra capacity would be fun too. Very cool.
Yea! I built it about 10 years ago now. 12:1 setup with toda cams its a lot of fun. A K series setup is much more cost effective these days but I love how raw the old B is.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ask... it won't be but the reaction from the owner can be fun. I had a guy with a 365gtb/4 replica go to great detail about the genuine parts on his car. Windows frames and glass, etc. Yawn.
Nah, he already had a crowd and I didn't want to be another dickhead ogling some rich person's play thing. The guy might have been really sound and a true car enthusiast but I've known enough trophy owning dickheads to think otherwise.

The Targa Rally was on last week so maybe he was up here for that.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
That might be a little bit of a stretch, air cooled porsche guys are usually pretty cool and have usually been into it for a while. I wouldn't call that a trophy car, that's an enthusiast's car. Regardless, awesome to see it out and about.
I think it's a Porsche 911 with an Aliexpress body kit. There's only one RSR in Australia and that's not it.

There's a company in Buderim selling racing cars, two of which are RS and RSR replicas.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Those are some big arse valves. The LS is a mighty interesting engine - an object lesson in that its all about pumping air through, not about the valve and camshaft count.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Those are some big arse valves. The LS is a mighty interesting engine - an object lesson in that its all about pumping air through, not about the valve and camshaft count.
For a chaff cutter they are a good engine. Light weight (ish) and good power and capable of pretty decent outputs and surprisingly good efficiency. Lack of cams also means it is low top height which is why it is so popular for transplants. I had a lazy 500kW in my GTS from the LSA and it was still an easy thing to drive.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
For a chaff cutter they are a good engine. Light weight (ish) and good power and capable of pretty decent outputs and surprisingly good efficiency. Lack of cams also means it is low top height which is why it is so popular for transplants. I had a lazy 500kW in my GTS from the LSA and it was still an easy thing to drive.
The VF SSV i once scored as a rental from Thrifty was doing around 8l/100 on the Hume with cruise set to 115 - i thought that was very impressive for very heavy car with very fat rubber and a whole lot of big cylinder thumping away.

Of course on the back country roads in northern Victora I easily got it above 20l/100.... :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The VF SSV i once scored as a rental from Thrifty was doing around 8l/100 on the Hume with cruise set to 115 - i thought that was very impressive for very heavy car with very fat rubber and a whole lot of big cylinder thumping away.

Of course on the back country roads in northern Victora I easily got it above 20l/100.... :)
Amateur, I got the GTS to 99, it wouldn't read 3 figures.